Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 Model T find....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 COE, Jan 22, 2014.

1. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I know little about the Tin Lizzie.... What model is this one called, tall coupe or what?

What would be a fair price to pay for it?

An older resoration that has sat out for 20 years in the SoCal weather.... Covered with car cover and tarps - but wheels very weathered. All there - engine turns over....

Attached Files:

2. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

It's just called a coupe. Everyone calls them a "Doctor's Coupe" but Ford never marketed them with that name.

If it has a title it is probably worth $3-4K. If its been sitting a while and the wheels need to be respoked and the tires are bad, it will cost about $1K for new spokes and rubber. Throw in another $600 - $800 for new radiator. Another couple hundred for new gas tank, fuel lines, carb rebuild.

Or shop around and spend about $6-$10k on one that is already running and driving.

3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Nice car - needs a total restoration again, or use the body for a cool 60s style rod. Worth, not much these days. $5K min. Up to $8K if it's very solid.

Twitter @edsrodshop

4. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen some similar ones around here in about the same shape, restored but then somewhat neglected. In WI you'd probably pay $5K for that car. (assuming it's titled)

Neat car, would be super fun on a Model A chassis with '35 wires and a hot A 4 banger. Full fendered and full height roof, of course.

5. Bart78

Bart78

I would not pay over three thousand for it. A cheap set of tires will run around a thousand. Then fixing the wheels. If you have to replace the coils or rebuild them. That's a few hundred dollars. I have a few t's. and the small stuff adds up. They are probably the easiest cars to loose money on. Not many people lined up for them. Get it as cheap as you can.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You also have to watch out for wood issues in those cars, as they are basically wood frames with the sheet metal nailed on. Even the subframes are just two long pieces of 3X4 wood. I would do a '60s type hot rod chassis under it in a heart beat and build something like this...

Attached Files:

7. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Thanks for the education - Just looked up the optional radiator cap that it has with it. Motometer!

Attached Files:

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I had a'26 roadster, rebuilt engine, body work done up to final blocking and paint, new top, get in and drive. I had it in the classifieds here a couple of years ago for $5,000. lowered it to $4,000 and didn't get a nibble. Ended up trading it and took what I thought was a bath on it but it was time to move on.:(

Frank

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

no market for those cars , they peaked years ago...

10. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

More pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  11. jkeesey

jkeesey

The sad part is T's are far more expensive to repair than they are worth. 3k would be the limit for me if I was in the market. We always call them "phone booth coupes" around here. If it runs and drives it would be worth more but the only T's that bring really BIG money are pre 1915. I know of a 26 coupe recently that was bought for $20,000, it had paperwork proof of over $95,000 invested.

12. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Being a Model T nut, I can tell you, most people think their Model T Ford is worth a lot of money due to the age, but based on what I see in you photos, that car is a $3000 car. I wouldn't give more than that for it.

13. Bart78

Bart78

With more pics. I would say now 1500 or so. Like said above. There is no market for these cars. They are not even that fun to drive.

14. Nonsense.
    There is a T coupe on fleabay, right now, that isn't half the car this one is, that has been bid up to 1200 bucks, so far, with six days to go. There's also a bare sedan body that's at 1125.
    I had more fun driving my 25 T than just about any car that I've ever had, so fun, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder

15. Bart78

Bart78

You can loose your ass in a hurry with a model t. Just because it turns over. Does not mean its going to run. And the cars on eBay. Are probably being bought for their bodies not to restore. All I'm saying is. Start out real low. See how they react.

16. jkeesey

jkeesey

I agree completely. Just an engine/trans rebuild alone runs around 10k. You do that and you've almost outpriced the car already.

17. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Modelt's arn't for every one. I would say 3 to 5 k and you doing good. it's cheaper to buy one complete ten it is to peice one together. I just got done doing an engine rebuild on my 17 speedster engine. was 75 dollars to [our and machine the rods per hole and 100 per main. with the complete rebuild with race cam and high compression head and some other speed goodies less then 2 for the engine and trans. They arn't an investment thats for sure. Nice car.

18. You can lose your ass in a hurry on any old car. You think a T is expensive, try an orphan like a Hupp or a Chandler. The Model T Ford has always been the backbone of the antique car hobby. The prices quoted for engine/trans rebuilds are on the extreme end. I rebuilt mine, new pistons/rings, new babbit, adjustable lifters, Chevy valves, etc. for about 2K.
    Practically any T that will turn over, will start. It doesn't matter what the reasons that the bidders on ebay have for buying the cars. They will sell for what they are worth.
    All I'm saying is that I would pay 1500 for that car in a heartbeat. If he can get it for that kind of money, good for him.

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Here she was on the hook heading home - fun loads!

Attached Files:

20. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I disagree with the posts that say these model t: Are not popular i call mine a tall t coupe or doctors coupe but that is my opinion everywhere i go in my t i always draw a lot of attention

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Good to see you jump on it! Now, get it running and learn the art of driving one of these things. I have to disagree with whoever it was above that said these aren't even fun to drive... They are a freakin' hoot! And, not many can rightfully claim to know how to drive on anymore. I had an original '26 coupe about thirty years ago for a short time when I lived up in Minnesota. There were times that winter when it was the only thing that would get through the snow well enough to take me to school. It got used!

22. like stated they are a handful to drive well. but tons of fun. Lots of attention when you take them places people are lined up to check them out but not lined up to buy it. Looks like a sweet little ride. congrads

23. mechanic58

mechanic58

What the hell happened to the roof of that car? Looks like it was in the LA Riots.

24. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Southern California sun...........

;)

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Damn, nice score. What are the plans??

26. raven

raven

Well did you get it worth the money?
    r

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

So you have a Shay Model A as well? That's a good one.
    The T will be fun if you are judicious with your money. You could build a "hotrod" chassis on the side while you drive it stock for a while. Then in a day or so have a hotrod by doing a quick body swapover.

By the way, Ts have always been popular, there are simply not as many folks around these days that want a stock one and lots are available as the old guys, or their families, sell them off at pretty reasonable prices for the most part. There was a very nice unrestored 26-27 T Coupe at the Decatur Swap meet that sold for $6500, which was a deal for a non-rusty, straight, and complete car with papers,

28. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Wondered if anyone would spot the 1980 Shay red herring. ;) These are both part of a favorite Uncle's estate, the same one that returned my '53 COE to me in 2012. The Shay will be cleaned up, made to run and stop then sold - it was last licensed in '94 and sat many years - stored inside a garage.

The T will remain in the family, or donated to a museum. It will never be sold. Both cars garaged at my Bros' for cleaning and ridding of black widow spiders with his shop vac.

The property has been a bit of a challenge - Uncle Bob was a bit of a hoarder - and the property is 1,200 miles away. 7 of us spent a week there doing a month's worth of work. Managed to clear out all 7 junk cars sinking into the soil including 3 Pinto's - 2 junk travel trailers - tons of scrap metal - filled a 32' dumpster with thrash. Need to make one more trip but are 90% done.

:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  29. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Very cool! Great cars! I grew up with them. Sure the market is "down" on them - but they are definitely a labor of love! Have fun with it. As it was said before few know how to drive them even! Check out your local MTFCA chapter and the MTFCA forums http://www.mtfca.com/.

30. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

And he was hoarding tennis balls I see, er, oh, wait....