Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 pickup interior size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael_e, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Rodders

Rodders

I'm 6;2 260 and I did fit it was tight don't flip the fire wall or it will be very tight

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got in mine again yesterday without the seat back in place just to assure myself I wasn't talkin outta my ass. There's a lot of room from the back of the cab to the wheel, and again I'm 6'2" and a bad back. As I sat there for a few I'm certain it'll be fine for all day local runs. Yes, left foot gets a bit tweeky gettin in and out. I go in head 1st as that seems the easiest way for me.

3. joee

joee

one thing to consider is being able to quickly steer/brake/swerve to avoid an accident or incedent...kid running in ti the road,dogs,etc.....

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Bingo on getting in head first. I do the same thing in my 34 pickup. Makes it a hell of a lot easier.

5. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

im 6'2" 245lbs. its snug in my 31 pickup even with no backrest.

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

7. Mike Olson

Mike Olson

I had a stock-bodied 31 Ford pick up in High School and it fit me fine. I am 5-8 and 160 lbs. Not sure you would be confortable in it. The seat was right against the back of the cab so there wasn't any room to move it back. You might try shortening the steering column and using a smaller steering wheel. Good luck.

8. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

9. That truck looks great Wild Turkey. I'll bet a guy who's good with a mig could do that with a steel cab pretty easy. There's your blueprint folks!

[​IMG]

10. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I love the looks of the '30-'31 Model A pickups. I've probably put as many miles on one as anybody here since it was my daily driver from '80-'85 and I made a few trips in it from NorCal to Phoenix, Az in mine. I can tell you this much: don't buy one if you are much over 5' 8". I had an extremely thin seat back and an unchopped cab and it's still tiny. Forget getting your head in, try getting your foot in! There is not enough room for even a medium-sized child's foot to fit in between the seat riser and the front of the door. You have to turn your foot completely sideways (hope you have good ankles!) and slide it in, then pick your other foot up over the seat to get in. I loved my truck and am glad I owned it, but there's a reason it's currently for sale...
    [​IMG]

11. imajr32

imajr32

I am 5'7" - 165 lbs and was really concerned about how small the cab seemed to me - cant imagine how you big guys are fitting in there at all. Struggled with what to do for awhile - them decided to cut it up.

The cab was pushed back 2" on the frame, the firewall straightened out, and the door jambs spread in order to flush mount doors. With the 4" extension behind the door it adds up to a 6.5" extension in the roof. Now that there was more room for seats I could chop it 3" and still fit seats that let me reach the pedals properely.

There is a 5 window truck body out there that is a cool option as well.

Attached Files:

12. aojo

aojo

I heard that the later production 31 wide bed pickup had a bit of a recessed firewall much more like the '32 model year. This allows a bit more room for inserting a flathead or V8? Can anyone verify this??

13. I agree with HRP about the importance of a low seat with a thin back. Here is a photo of the narrowed '84 Ranger pickup seat I used in my '32 pickup. Made a huge difference. I am 6' 2" and weigh about 170 lbs.

[​IMG]

Another plus about the Ranger seat is that the seat back is hinged to fold forward which allows for a bit of storage behind the seat.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just drove my stock early 31 yesterday without the seatback and just a piece of foam for comfort. At 6'2" and a tick over 225 I had lots of room. I was actually thinking of this thread while rollin around in it and will have to figure a reasonable seatback cushion once it get finished up. With the one I got with the truck it's ok, but I do prefer the add'l 3-4" of space w/out it. I'm now thinking plywood, 1 1/2" dense foam, cover with the old cushion mat'l. All day, should be a'ight. All week, we'll see...

15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

6'2 175 not too bad.....