Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. Paul B

Paul B

only pictures I have it's behind one of my El caminos It's a Hydrostream Vegas had a 200 on it back then, I just put a 300 pro Max on it. I have another of my 1956 Chris Craft Capri with my 68 camino in the back ground . no pics of the shoeboxes towing anything . Im' looking for a coupe if anyone knows of one

2. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Mr Dickies it looks like from some of your pictures you must be in the Clifton area of NNJ

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I'm not sure where that is. We are in Union till February 21st then we are moving to our 1920 farm house in Towaco. I am looking for car guys to hang out and build things with if you're in the area. I love trading trades.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Here's a picture of us out and about today in the snow! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390525057.013928.jpg

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I can't wait to be out doing donuts in the snow in MY coupe ... I'm jealous ! Your boy looks like a happy camper too .

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

He is a very happy kid! He calls doughnuts round and rounds. I made a video of us doing a few. But it's just his face and him talking. He loves his Henry J and tells everyone about it. He loves getting the thumbs up from people!

7. EBW

EBW

Thats great bonding time !! Wish my Dad did Doughnuts in parking lots !

8. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

My dad would do fun stuff like that sometimes. He loved cars too just bone stock. My mom would do them once a winter and we spent our whole winter begging her to do one.

9. senone

senone
    from Belgium

Just read through all of your post (yes all 30+ pages) and I must say kudos for your work man!!! The car looks sick, and I love the fact that you're not afraid of using it!!!!!!!

I do hope you'll go for the chop, these cars should've left with one from the factory (my opinion! ;) )!

10. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Not 30+ pages but it's not done yet so maybe.
    I love building things but have been loving driving this car in California and now New Jersey more because it's been with my son Tyler.
    As for the chop it's a 5% chance it will happen. I do have the sickness of not being able to leave things stock so you never know. I agree that they should have been a little lower but do love mild Kustoms and per the old rules in 50's and 60's once a car is chopped puts them in the radical category. If I do chop it then it will be very small 1 1/2" no more than 2". I would rather put the effort into chopping my wife's 51 styleline or take 2" out of my sons Henry J.

11. EBW

EBW

Ahhh the old saying... To chop or Not To Chop.

Im in the same boat. My goal is to get the Old Ford driving and get a feel for its quirks, then next winter decide if the chop will happen.

Whatever I do, it has to be able to facilitate the family, as I am building it for all of us to enjoy ( My son claims it to be his when he gets old enough to drive ... in another 11 years )

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

My son took over my 53 Henry J I've had since 1984. He has 14 years until he gets his driver's license! But can tell you it has a carter carburetor but they also came with strombergs.

13. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I lived in Clifton till December.Now we are in Texas .Look up Deadmans Curve CC. They have a big show in the Towaco area twice a year. Lead East is ok and not too far away from where you live. Also the Whiskey Cafe is a good car crusie on a Saturday night in the summer. Also Check out the Chatter Box. Wildwood also has a good car show at the end of the summer.

14. senone

senone
    from Belgium

It is when I viewed it with the app. :)

I hear you about chopping your son! I got a daughter who's 8 but wearing clothes from a 10 year old!! :):)

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

IMHO coupes look better un-chopped - sedans on the other hand look pretty good with a tasteful chop . I do agree that once they're chopped , it's no longer a mild custom .

16. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

My son Tyler is 2 1/2 and wears 5 year olds clothes. Most people are shocked he's so young because he speaks really well and is big for his age.

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I agree its a lot of work for such a small chop I go back and forth if its worth it. I too hate cartoon over chopped cars. I am feeling that instead of chopping mine I'll put the work into my wife and son's cars. And a gloss paint job on mine. My wife said she's shocked that I am over running my rides in primer or flat paint.

18. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Well I just read all 18 pages cool build I think I'd leave the roof the car has a great look the way it sits
    And about your your problem ( weed smokeing ass hole )well all I can say is your a better man then me stuff works a little diff down here in fl. There would of never been a second compliant, he would have moved out after the first , I guy next to me complained once now we have a under standing and for some reason he develops a studder when he speeks to me , any way can't wait to see the ford finished

19. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

We moved from Los Angeles to New Jersey. Trust me it took all of my self control to not do anything back. I had a visit from the neighborhood commander a few days before we moved and he thanked me for not murdering him. My wife is what made me strong enough to not choke him. She said I only expect you to stay out of jail and be a good father. The new neighbors have already complained about his loud rap and weed smoking to the police. His lease is up and the person is talking about putting the house up forsale so who knows. Not my problem any longer.
    Here's the house we'll be moving into!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390840616.107779.jpg
    Four times the size lot twice the size house a two car garage and a one car garage plus walk in basement workshop! And the closest neighbor is across the street.
    I'm pretty sure I won't chop it. I will do a few small things like flush mount skirts and finish the rear splash pan. I got a 51 deck lid for $25 that I fixed and need to shave the license plate indentation. And now that it's been in flat I'll paint it gloss next time.

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

What he said!

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Hey DadsblueFord Any updates?
    PS I might have to build a bed for Tyler like that one on your thread!

22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

very jelous of you getting to do donuts in the snow with your son my sons 2 1/2 also he would love that. hopefully i can get my hudson going soon he allready claimed my model a as his. nice job on the car it turned out great cant wait to see it in gloss and flake

23. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

No real updates. I cleaned the garage a bit and moved the car off to the side, so my wife can part in the garage again. Maybe I need to change the title of my thread!

That bed was a lot of work but it's very cool and my daughter loves it. I added the desk and a shelf over the desk, which both serve to strengthen the whole thing.

24. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Peter a Hudson is a bucket list car of mine! Do doughnuts my son calls them round and rounds! We drive my car like a normal car and will until I get a daily driver. We've done burnouts too! He's driven on my lap down the street and from one store to the other and loves it. He likes to tinker on his Henry J and has taken it over as his! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390961838.396363.jpg
    Working on his HJ
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390961894.270064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390961954.276517.jpg
    In my shoebox when I did a motor swap!

25. daddio211

daddio211

I love these shots! Dad of the year award!

26. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Thank you Daddio! I'm trying to be the best Dad I can be. I didn't have a father that was around much. Since we moved to New Jersey for my wife's new job it has been Tyler and I everyday. Before moving I took him to school everyday 65 miles round trip and loved talking in the car. He's very smart for his age. We move in soon and it will be good for us all we both miss messing around in the garage!

27. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Peter we did some round and rounds for you in the Chuck E Cheese parking lot for you!
    http://youtu.be/KfjV5NntWu4

28. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

thats awsome! im stuck in a plow truck when theres still fresh snow on the ground. i havent had a old car as a daily in 3 years i use to drive a 66 gmc lwb then sold to get a 66 chevy swb it was t boned just before tucker was born i started taking him to car shows at 3 weeks old in my old 52 chevy. you gota come to the jalopy showdown now that your on the east coast hopefully i can find the time to get the hudson going by then. its killing me not being able to drive it yet.

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I sold my 66 GMC lwb truck when we moved to Jersey. My son loved it! I'm down for a show on the east coast!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391030602.376782.jpg

30. navyboy

navyboy

Very cool man, I drive mine no matter what, my battery died on me at work and a ice storm hit and trapped it for for two days. Love my 52. My 07 expedition sits at home 80 percent of the time and I take my daughter's to school in the 52 as well.

Attached Files: