Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Royboy Goes To The 2014 Starbird-Devlin Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Jan 21, 2014.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

For the 2nd year in a row I’ve been asked by my friend and mentor Doug Reed to include my car in the Kustom City display in the Starbird-Devlin Car Show held in Wichita’s Century II Convention Center. To me, it’s an honor. I get to display my car along side some of my favorite kustoms and hang out with some of my favorite people. Thursday was the move-in for our group, so early that morning I fired up my Galaxie and made the 80 mile drive down to Century II. An early morning drive with some great tunes in my favorite car is an amazing thing for my attitude.

As soon as I pulled in I was greeted by one of my friends from the Kustom City display, I was waved into the building and directed to my parking spot with a bunch of rides that far outclass mine. As last year, some of the cars in the display are immortalized on Dennis McPhail’s Kustom City poster, it’s a real big deal to me to even be in the same display as all of these cars.
    After getting the cars into position I spent about an hour hand wiping down the car. In my haste to get to the show and see my kustom family I forgot to stop and hit the car wash. Thankfully I had a fresh bottle of Quick Detail[​IMG] in the trunk, I cleaned every damn surface of the exterior with the stuff. Then it was off to walk around the show a bit and see who else was already set up or in the process.

[​IMG]
    Out for a morning drive in my Galaxie 500 with my bug collection.

Here are some of the photos I took while walking around.
    [​IMG]
    Floyd’s 58 Edsel Wagon kustom. The car features a bunch of great pinstriping and a full kustom interior by Fast AL’s Upholstery amongst more kool touches.

[​IMG]
    Floyd’s Edsel Wagon again. We talked Thursday about me shooting a feature on it for a magazine, I can’t wait!

[​IMG]
    I keep running into this beautiful Mercury from Nebraska, and I’m not mad about that.

[​IMG]
    Troy Pate’s newly finished hot rod. It was his uncle’s street beast back in the old days and was finished just before the show. I REALLY want a ride :)

[​IMG]
    Michael Behrendt’s 34 Ford Coupe. The car was given to him years ago on the condition that he someday build the car. Nothing on the car is newer than 53 except the 59 Olds steering wheel. The east coast channeling lends to the car’s Norm Grabowski’s Kookie Car-esque profile. I’ve been given a ride in the car and it was a blast!

[​IMG]
    Goren brought this beautiful 48 Merc up from Texas.

[​IMG]
    Chaotic Customs has their normal huge display full of just about everything you need for you hot rod or kustom. The new sign is kool too.

[​IMG]
    Devlin Hot Rods shop is just up the street from Century II and they had some very nice rides in their display. There’s a giant glass wall behind that curtain so look for more photos of these rides later, I’ll shoot them when the sun goes down tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    These are the cars parked in front of me in the Kustom City display. Johnny Hammann’s 58 Chevy (as it was built in 76), Terry Cook’s Chevy, and Jack’s 51 Ford.

[​IMG]
    Looking back down Kustom City. We have 10 cars this year in the display, I’ve been asked to help round up cars for next year and I’m an ambitious fella. Let’s shoot for 20 cars for 2015. If you have a kustom and want to hang out with some awesome people, send me a message here.

[​IMG]
    Hub and Gloria Harness’ beautiful “Cinnamon” One of my favorite kustoms on the planet. They have been so amazingly supportive over the last few years and I’m lucky and honored to know them.

This content and more was posted on my site last Friday. Go there to get the quickest coverage and even have it delivered to your email every time a new post goes live. Or just subscribe to this thread and most of the H.A.M.B. friendly photos from the show will get posted here.

See you at a show,
    Royboy

2. Lookin' good as always Travis. Looking forward to more. Subscribed.
    Later,
    Dick

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As we always come to expect from you those are some great photos of some great looking cars. Thanks for sharing.

4. That 34 is jus tits!!

5. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

An Edsel 2-door wagon!

6. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

After Thursday's load-in I hopped in the daily driver which I had stashed in a nearby parking garage and headed back home to work until Noon Saturday.

Saturday of the 2014 Starbird-Devlin show was packed. Packed with cars, packed with spectators, packed with friends. Most of my day was spent hanging out with friends and family. I kept waiting for the crowds to die down so the photos would look better, plainly said, it never happened.
    Enjoy the photos [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The kids area was so over packed with awesome. I just hope that all of this encourages some of these youngsters to be car folk. :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Some of the artists on hand at the show.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow. See you at a show,
    Royboy

7. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks and you're welcome!

Lots of great rides at the show this year. Those were 2 of my favorites!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Great shots Travis, Thanks for posting.

9. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Thanks for your coverage of the show Travis. Great perspectives.

10. Good stuff!

My son went and built a model in there. Pretty good deal!

11. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

2014 is the 3rd year of the new ownership/management of this show and it seems to be getting better and better. The contenders for the Magnificent 7 were amongst the best the show has ever had. Late in the evening I finally started shooting some photos, some of which you saw yesterday, here are some more…
    [​IMG]
    I love Joe’s Caddy.

[​IMG]
    It’s not exactly the traditional style that I enjoy but there’s a certain something that it has that just makes me smile.

[​IMG]
    Matt’s pickup was swamped with people all weekend.

[​IMG]
    Clean.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That's it for this update,
    See you at a show,
    Royboy

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Complacency is the problem with old owners...new owners bring in new energy...things are done differently than the old "that's the way we've always done it" and old problems solved with new thinking.

I noticed that when my '55 Cadillac was invited to be shown as one of the "Magnificient Seven" in 2012 and that new energy gets "transferred" to everyone that's part of the show...the Devlin's (and the rest of the show crew) catered to me like I was some VIP (which I am not)...IMHO, I believe that's why the show is growing.

R-

13. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Good point!
    There were a lot of locals that were unhappy with Darryl and the direction the show had gone with the Texas Bikini Teams and the motocross performances and such. Slowly some of them are coming back as well.
    Hope to see you down the road Roger!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Thanks for the great coverage Travis. This was the first year I've ever entered anything in this show and I have to say it was a great experience. The whole process was very organized, lots of cool cars and people, they treated us well and I believe it was a big success. A success from a participant, spectator and the charities they donated to, points of view. I appreciated that it was a car show and not a three ring circus. I also think that the people with kids enjoyed the "kid zone". I'll go back.

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

16. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Travis, thanks for posting. You make events real for those of us unable to attend.

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Who's green Willy's gasser was that? I really liked it. Very understated instead of in your face. Beautifully finished.

19. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

It's out of Tulsa I think, I don't remember who owns it.

20. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Willys gasser belongs to Leonard Wren out of Tulsa. Nice pics of Butch & Johns gassers.

21. Ron Lago

Ron Lago
    from Oregon

Be careful in Old Town and tell Starbird to kiss my grits :D

22. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

It's a pretty car! I never saw it with the hood up. What's it running for a drive train?

23. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Blown small block Chevy, turbo 400 and either 9" or quick change. he will be @ Starbird Tulsa show in a couple of weeks.

24. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Thanks for the info! Cool car.

25. Is that Willy's the same one that had "American Idle" on the doors?

26. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I believe so.

27. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

"American Idle"? Sancho, you been drinking the bath water again?

28. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390947405.839871.jpg :)

29. Nope, it was like that at the HAMB Drags last year.

Thanks Travis for backing me up! :)

30. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Ah, I thought you meant at the show. My bad. :) I was just kidding anyway.