Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Yeah...so I went to the track. Launched hard on a set of sportman pros I have. Hooked ....and found all the weak parts. Broke both axles in the 9 in. Broke the locker unit and destroyed the trans. Awaiting parts at the moment.

2. Dammit!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Whenever I regret my tires not hooking well, I tell myself it's probably saving my drivetrain! That's a bummer!

4. Tru, dat....

Got a Go Pro for Christmas. Here's a test still:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Has anyone tried a '64 or '65 front bumper on a round body? I'm thinking the newer bumper might match the hood, grill and fenders a little better than flat '63 bumper I have.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No, but I wonder if the bulges on each end will leave a void between the fenders and the bumper? It might need to be welded in at those points, and then rechromed.
    It's surprising how little changes throughout the years make interchanging body parts much more difficult than they seem. I put a '61 grille in my '63 1/2 this fall, and spent a whole day trying to fabricate brackets, and pieces to make it all look decent.

7. DAGONITWIT

DAGONITWIT
    from NO VA

Check Wichita Craigslist for Falcon Woody Wagon for $5000. Needs work. Original looking surf wagon. Can't figure out how to post link from my phone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Dude, here in the east, the roads finally dried out after a week of stupid low temps (hi temp 14F last Tuesday), snow and/or biblical rain.

So the car was back from the transmission shop (somehow cracked the pilot on the nose of the torque converter) and it was a blistering 48F this morning so I took the car out to play in the Sunday morning church traffic:

Still playing with the Go Pro editing software....

I rolled through a speed trap about 5:30. They ignored me because I was only 10 over and they were looking for bigger fish

Three things are pretty obvious:
    1. I need a longer mount for the camera
    2. I need to remember to adjust the passenger side mirror
    3. I badly need a haircut and beard trim

9. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Re: the 64 bumper, i'm thinking custom splash pan to mate the bumper to the car. Re: your 61 grill, any pics? I had the same thought and kind of like that grill better than my hard top's stock grill.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It takes reusing the '63 headlight trim, as the '61 opening is rounder at each end. It also required me to trim the headlight trim from the '63 to fit the '61 contour, and additionally do some bending of the trim to fit closer to the '61 grille. Still not a perfect fit, but it looks good from 10'.
    [​IMG]

Oops! Wrong picture! That was after reworking my tank brackets.
    [​IMG]

11. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Looks good!

12. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

X2^^^^ Like that a lot!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks! The turn signals in the grille are just the lens installed with metal clips behind to fill the recess. I have the lower turn signals in my homemade splash pan hooked up.

14. Need advice. I an going custom with my 62 4 door since I am missing certain components and am thinking of using a flip cap fuel filler like shelby used or afternarket custom, but I do not think it would be safe to put it in the stock location as far as flip cap. Where would be best to put the flip cap or if I wanted to stay stock location what cap to use? The stock filler neck is missing but the tank is in good shape.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jaguar. Up on the quarter panel top, behind the back window. Same place it is on the Jag.

16. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Why would the flip cap be any less safe than the stock cap is in that location? Do you think it might pop open during a rearend crash? And if that's an issue, then almost anywhere else might pop open in a crash also.
    I found a aftermarket filler door at a swap meet for $2, and installed it on mine. There's still a cap under it, but I like it better than what I had. I am changing the bolts out for flathead allen bolts. These were just for mockup when I was seeing if it worked.
    [​IMG]

18. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

is it sitting on top of the moulding?

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stock fill disallows the full-flow use of a, current-generation short snout California vapor recovery fuel filler nozzle.

Even with a clean, oversized vent hose, I can't fill past half-flow, without creating a large puddle, or taking a gas bath.

I will be relocating mine, with any luck, before I get shived for taking 15-minutes to fill up.

20. Screw 'em, Gimpy. At $3.929/gal for 93 octane here in the east, I take as long as I need to.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sort of, but not. I got some black teflon from the local TAP Plastics store and made a base that straddles the trim and contoured it to the shape of the tail panel. That way it fits the panel, and gave me a flat base to bolt the filler door to without smashing the trim. It also set it off enough to sit flat and make room for a gas cap under the door. The top and bottom of the door is almost flush, with the area between built up to clear the trim.

22. redzula

redzula

The tank looks about the same as a 64-66 mustang tank. Anybody tried to swap one of those in and use their straight shot fill tube? Probably going to try this when I get ready to swap out my leaker.

23. Locoxp

Locoxp

Yep they are the same, I put a 65 mustang tank in my wagon.. Only difference I can see is the wagon fill point is in the side of the rear quarter and to the side of the top of the tank.
    I've seen it done before and quite a nice trick if you like a clean look is to hinge the rear tail light and locate your filler cap behind it. Then delete the original fill point

24. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

One of my favorite threads

25. redzula

redzula

That's a slick idea I've never been a fan of the stock fill cap it's just stuck right in the middle of the falcon letters and looks out of place. Need to get a few projects done though before I turn this car into a project car haha.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I scored a Jag XJ cap to go up on top of the fender, by the back window. I will get a fresh '70 Mustang tank to replace the stock on in my '60. That will put my capacity at 22-gallons, up from 14, and will save me from welding on a used tank.

Just need to build a little recess for it in the fender, so it looks like is was always there.

27. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Sounds slick. Be sure to post pics, please!

28. 1391829625541.jpg Even though I think gassers are being over done, this Falcon has some nice touches.

29. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Nice and smooth

30. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

So..when does it ever stop. :rolleyes:. So she says HA!
    Trans arrived from AstroPerformance. T-5 A5 built for 500hp and 480TQ. Nice piece. Stepped up to the 26 spline input. Upgraded the clutch to a 26 spline hub, ceramic faced. Corrected throwout bearing issue and length.. Corrected belljousing clearence issues. Stabbed the trans first shot.
    Currrently installing the CPP mini front sub frame. These cars and the novas have a very similar front end. The front mini sub is a no brainer.
    The strut rods get cut out and the suspension is now fully adjustable.
    So far I like everything about it. I cannot wait to drive this car without any bumpsteer. pics soon