Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftycoupe, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Turn4

Turn4

W O W ! Lucas Doolin LIVES !! ( Thunder Road ) Now we need to see a '57 Ford build to go with this one !

2. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Finally got back to work on it so far I've got the front and rear lower quarters installed working on the rockers tonight. Hoping to get it in primer before it turns off cold so I can assemble the engine as a winter project will have some update pics within the next few days. Does anyone have any reviews on the dennis carpenter floor pans I've ordered my rockers and quarters from macs but wantin to order my pans from carpenter,they will be at the f100 show this winter gonna get them to bring them to the show to save on shipping

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Certainly a good start . Stick with it . I'm knee-deep in a coupe project too .

4. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

I just read ur build thread I love those tailight lenses really liking ur project and especially digging the metalflake dash I'm going with the hawaiian bronze metallic for mine inside and out.I've got a 289 auto combo sitting in the corner of the garage I had been considering for my coupe with a lot of foxbody performance parts from my teenage years I had gathered but luckiley I found a shop near me with a lot of experience with flatheads that were able to work over my block

5. I'm running 225/75-15 on all four corners. No problems

6. Nothing on Carpenter's floor pans, but I bought a left front floor pan from Macs and ended up trashing it and making my own a few years back. It was a bead roller piece that was not even the same general pattern. I've mostly used Carpenters for their rubber parts.

7. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thanks for the info russ I ordered my lower quarter patches from macs and they fit pretty nice. I ordered my inner and complete outer rockers from them today. I had the rockers but they were just the quick on type without the sill plate area that I needed.

8. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Since I'm waiting on rockers thought I would get a start on the drivers side. Was a big relief to actually take a panel down to bare metal that doesent require patches its looking like ill get by with just rockers and lower front quarter patches on drivers side. Here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

My son got in on some of the action too

[​IMG]

Also got the lower front quarter patches in passenger side not perfect but I'm getting a lot better at butt welding panels

[​IMG]

9. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

10. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Finally got some real progress got the rocker in and finished the lower quarter patches. I picked up some dtm high build primer and shot the quarter and rocker. Now since all the metal repairs are done on passenger I can move to driver side.

[​IMG]

11. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

12. Looks like you have made some good progress. HRP

13. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Keep up the good work it just time I did one years ago Love your coupe

14. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Got the driver side rust repair done the hard part is over. All I have left is the roof and the tail pan very little rust repair left on those so I think ill make my deadline of having it in primer so the engine rebuild can start this winter

[​IMG]

15. nixstudios

nixstudios
    from Hazard ky

16. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Does anyone have any info on how they rebuilt there gas door. Mine has a small rod that has broken the door from the bracket looks like a small welding rod would do the trick but id like to see what everyone else is doing I'm assuming the stock piece was spring loaded

17. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

I havent done an update in a while but have made some good progress all rust repair is done and everything in primer. I couldnt resist sticking the wheels on and putting on the trim on. My next step is going thru the brakes and starting assembly of the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. butch27

butch27

Man that is going to be nice!

19. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

20. Shoeboxke

Shoeboxke

Nice build,Keep up the good work!!

21. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Havent updated in a while but have made progress. Been block sanding and getting ready for paint . Im pretty happy with the results especially for a garage paint job a few sags Ihave to smooth out but im satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

That looks sharp! Will look even better all together... How'd the flathead come out?

23. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Havent made any progress on engine yet still collecting parts and funds and information original plan was a stock rebuild for driveabilitywith just headers. but part of me wants to do a mild performance build with a small cam and dual carb intake and mayb heads. Still doing alot of research its not my first engine rebuild but my first flathead build i kind of want to keep it simple but at the same time dont want to tear back into a fresh rebuild if i change my mind later

24. daddio211

daddio211

Regarding dual carbs, I have a Offy super dual and it was kind of a pain not really knowing a lot about what's available. Using a split dual you'll have to offset your generator and lengthen the wires. You'll also have to lengthen the coil wire and possibly relocate it. Don't forget a 180° thermostat housing and do some creative hose routing.

If you're running 12v and are okay with a alternator find a dual intake that accommodates such up front and center, along with the bracket. It'll make your life a little easier.

If you're running a generator don't let me talk you out of it, it's just a lot more little tedious crap that ends up taking a lot of time. Ask lots of questions before you order your parts. I'd be happy to help you figure it out.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

25. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thanks for the advice im planning on running an alternator and 12v. Im realy going for driveability but love the look of a dual setup on a flathead but I've never dealt with mutiple carb setup as far as tuning that's the determining factor I want to be able to use it as a daily driver during the summer I don't want to get out of my comfort zone but I guess there's only one way to learn.

26. chromeazone

chromeazone

If you go with dual setup,(the most I would run on the street), don't skimp on good linkage. Duals will keep it simple. the first time the linkage hangs up/sticks, I hope you don't have little kiddos in the car! The Momma will hear you screaming all the way home!
    Good choice if you go with 12V and alternator - don't let so called "traditional rodders" bust your stones about it. It's like Sturgis, they trailer their bikes 10 miles from Rapid City and ride in with East & West Coast plates. I've been to many rod meets and amazed at how many so called traditional rods have no plates, mufflers, wipers, and bomber seats, etc. How did they drive them here? (Then amazed at all the trailers out in the parking lots or pit area.) Every monkey to their own branch, I say!

27. daddio211

daddio211

Talk to Uncle Max here on the HAMB. He'll build a pair of carbs for your engine depending on it's specs, where you live and how you drive it. He also makes his own high quality linkage that I couldn't be more happy with.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

28. desotot

desotot

Looking good, you even painted it my favorite color.

29. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Fired up the heaters and made some door panels tonight and started stripping dash and prepping it for paint. Not happy with the color of the garnish I test painted looks too much like spray can im gonna remove the garnish and spray it when I paint the dash this weekend with acrylic enamel black to match the body. I bought a whole roll of pre pleated black vinyl similiar to what's in it now im going to go ahead and make door panels and package tray and kick panels now. Dad does alot of ulphostery work so were gonna do the seats this spring. Its not getting it any closer to driving but im working with what I got on hand to make some progress. I ordered some pc7 epoxy so I can restore the steering wheel looking forward to seeing how it will turn out

[​IMG]

30. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

You car is looking great.