Register now to get rid of these ads!

garage find ford 239

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tucsonford5, Jan 19, 2014.

1. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

There is a elderly couple who come in to my store everyday who has been telling me I need to come by there house and check out the old motors he has. They are 1954 ford y blocks. I don't get to excited over y blocks but decided I should swing and check them out they are a really nice couple. When I got there he had a rebuilt 239 on an engine stand complete carb to pan. He also had a rebuilt transmission in the cabinet. Cool but not to exciting right. Well on the floor was a create with another 239. The story on that one is that in 1961 there was a ford dealership in Springfield that was going out of business and was purchased from them. This motor has been sitting in the create for 53 years. The plan was to put one of the two in his uncles 54 ford. The car was sitting next to his uncles gas station before some punk kids torched it. He told me he wants them gone and can have it all. Is there a chance the create motor is a brand new engine or a remanufactured one? He has the paper work on it but didn't look at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool story , you really need to go buy a lottery ticket

3. i guess they could both be rebuilt , or one of them new.....as you said , you didn't look at the paperwork. until you do look at it this is all just speculation

either way , it's a great deal for free...grab them

4. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

id gladly double what you paid for them lol i love y blocks you scored on those i cant even get blown up rusty stuck motors for free

5. olskool34

olskool34

The one in the crate please. You can pm me with the shipping address. Seriously, wow I would be over there right now getting them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

Im going to go pick them up this week and ill more info on it once I see the paper work.

7. Remember that the 239 is probably the least desirable of the Y blocks. It is the smallest displacement and many of the parts do not interchange with the later Y blocks. You will probably find a small market for them if you try to sell. You sure can't beat the price.

Charlie Stephens

8. In those days, you could generally only get current production engines as brand-new assemblies. Not to say the dealer hadn't had it since '54, but it's probably a 'genuine' reman unit built by one of Ford's 'authorized' rebuilders. You might check to make sure it isn't a 272 or 292, as some of the rebuilders could be a bit sloppy about proper ID...

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm thinking its a reman by looking at the rocker arms. I believe the early ones had a screw/locknut setup for valve adjustments.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Rebuilt engines had tags placed on them indicating that it was reconditioned and who rebuilt it.

Also look at the piston tops. Rebuilts would have oversized pistons.

11. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

He said it was still wrapped with plastic and paper with all the ford stuff on it till a few years ago when he took it all off to look at it. There still is some paper work there so we will see. Didn't really want to pull a head to see the top of the piston maybe I can see with a Borescope. Its probably a reman but I can still hope either way its still a cool find. What do you guys think something like this would be worth? Have the complete rebuilt one to with rebuilt trans as well

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I am looking for a rebuilt ford-o-matic auto trans for my '57 vert if you wanna sell it......send me a PM if you are interested,

13. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Those 239 motors used a different intake manifold then the 272-292-312 did. I think the fuel pump mounts the opposite of the later engines too.

14. silverdome

silverdome

I'd say if you get half as much as twice the amount you paid for them then you still got them for free.

15. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

What are you waiting for? Are you actually questioning whether it's worth your time to go load these things up? I hope I'm wrong about that and if so I apologize but that's the vibe I'm getting.

16. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

No I'm getting them tomorrow. Its more should I try and find a 54 to duild or just sell them as they are

17. Ford actually put those little 239 Y blocks in big trucks, school buses, etc., they just geared them really, really low.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

They are not ALREADY sitting in your garage? What part of FREE don't you understand?

Frank

19. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

Haha if I had my truck and hoist they would have been gone

20. tucsonford5

tucsonford5

Update got it all home and looked threw the paper work his stories were a little off. both motors came from Motor Replacement Co in Phoenix. Unpainted One was rebuilt in 1975 painted one was rebuilt in 1980 no paper work on the trans. Told the old man I was going to sell them and he was cool with that. I told him I would give him half of what I sold them for and he was very greatful. They came with a lot of new parts and new condition parts. Almost drop in condition

21. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

So, at this point have you confirmed that they are both 239 engines?