Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Chevy, early 60's gasser style..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crashhead, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Totally agree here too. I have read your total post and you have said that you were not sure that you were going to keep the lowering blocks and that you might be changing the springs. I would suggest that you get the suspension set just as you want it (the final product) before you make your radius. Radiusing would be one of the last thing I would do before any paint. Get the weight back on the car and in the car before making the cut. Seen way too many radius jobs that were not thought out and would want to see you go down that road man! Kinda hard to put material back if you screw up and take a little too much! BTW I like your radius tool!
    Jay

2. Thanks alot guys, appreciate it. Well, i do have a vision of how high up i want the wheel opening to be, and i have always loved it when the top of it is parallel to the center of the gas cap..
    That is what i am going for. I am very well aware of the fact that the car will be considerably lower while completeted.

3. I love the wheel tool tracer thing you made for the rear wheel well arch, what are the details on that?

4. Thanks man. Just made it out of scrap i found in the shop. The center bracket that goes across the rim is adjustable, and can be used with any size rim. Used a old shift linkage from the center rod, and over that goes a piece of square tubing that is adjustable, with a pencil at the end. Very quickly made, and crude but works really good!

5. Radiused the wheel wells yesterday. They are far from done, but merely a start so i can get a overall idea about the stance, and get to work on the trunkfloor..and some standard rust issues...
    Hoping to have the trunk floor and wheeltubs made in a few weeks, time allowing

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

great progress so far!

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's quickly taking on "The Look" !

9. Its going to be a BAD GASSER! Nice work so far.

10. squirrel

squirrel

gratuitous artwork

Attached Files:

11. That is some great art. Thanks man!
    So, if anyone know of a chromed roll cage for the -55, i'm interested!

12. squirrel

squirrel

build one....

13. Lancer

Lancer

Looking good man, you'll have to drag it down to Eagle Field and I can run you in my 56 Ford once its done!!! What are you doing for a motor, 283/327??

14. Hey man! Yes, we hope to have it down there in May. Would love to race ya, haha!

Will be running a 350cui...for now ;)

15. Lancer

Lancer

Oct. would be the first we could conceivably run at. I'll be shooting pics and video in May though so hope to see you there.

16. Butch M

Butch M

looking good love those wheels and tires

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Did a good job on the radius! Coming together really nicely!
    Jay

18. second fiddle

second fiddle

Awesome! with the way this thing is taking shape it should be done by....oh' mid Feb!

19. Haha, not really i'm afraid...but around June, July is our goal. Maybe just in time for our 5th annual carshow, http://www.norcalknockout.com/

Continuing on the trunk floor and brackets for the fuel cell tomorrow

20. CalGasser

CalGasser

I got my 55 running about a year ago and really enjoying her. On the radiused wheel wells, we made mine a tad oval with it a bit taller than wide to allow for chassis squat. If we drew a radius from the axle center like you did, the distance would be equal around the tire and not enough vertical clearance - if you go taller, then the sides will have too large a gap. As it turned out from a video at Eagle Field, car barely squats so no clearance issues. ;)

Attached Files:

21. Looking good!

I love me them '55 Chevies!

Sam

22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

if your chassis works you get separation ,not squat...

23. squirrel

squirrel

...but if you drive it on the street, you get cut tires

24. Looks good to me man!

25. CalGasser

CalGasser

Understood... if it expands, it still has to compress. What happens when one pulls a wheelie? :confused: Whichever direction, it needs ample clearance for rebound.

Thank you! ;)

26. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

looks good some great advice on here so far!

27. Started wrestling around with the wheel tubs purchased from Summit. Not the easiest thing on the planet to measure and cut so they'll fit smoothly against the fender. Lots of patience and a weekend later i am at least on the way. Next step will be to make the mounts for both battery and fuel cell.

Attached Files:

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

looks like the rear has settled some or have you used the cement bags in the trunk (my personal favourite) to get and maintain ride height?
    I love Tri-5's done this way!! Cool choice in wheels/tyres too btw

29. 66cayne

66cayne

next time try fabbing the wheelwells using cardboard to form patterns. Then transfer the patterns to the sheetmetal. Saves time and sheet metal...

30. Yes, that could have been an option, but this was fairly simple too and worked out just fine. Moving along....