Register now to get rid of these ads!

which one for 49 packard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bubblesbacon, Jan 8, 2014.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The stockers look "bug eyed" like a 49 -52 Chevy maybe something frenched like 56 Olds, just my .02

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. alsancle

alsancle

I like the 42 Desoto hidden headlight look. That would probably be the hardest one to do.

Personally, I was never a quad headlight guy. They tend to ruin the lines of the body.

3. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the input. my daughter likes the four headlights so that may be the deciding factor. ;)

4. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

interesting, looks better than the stock ones, that one of the other posters called bug eyes

5. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

how about econoline headlights with grilles for air induction like the attached pic

Attached Files:

6. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

best idea yet! :D

Attached Files:

7. This'll be the last from me...'58 Ford
    [​IMG]

8. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

my feeble attempt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  9. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

cool and thanks for the photoshopping, wish i was as good at it...

10. Download GIMP (it's free) and practice, practice, practice! Check out the Photoshop thread for inspiration.

11. BJR

BJR

How about a big outside light and a small inside high beam?

12. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Yep, looks like a Checker cab.
    Me likes the hidden ones and the lower mercedes-like singles.

What else are your plans for the car?

13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Only one that looks good to me is the 56 Olds. Might think about 55 Chevy, they make a patch panel that would work for an eyebrow.

14. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

i have downloaded GIMP and bought some books so now just to find time to practice!

15. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I agree with the 56olds if I went with the single headlights each side, the 58ford is the one I like the best for the four lights option. The 55chevy patch panels with eyebrows sounds interesting, who sells them?

16. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

well first win the lottery so I can afford it, but mainly we are going with a big block olds that I already have, wanted to try the original straight eight but the motor is stuck pretty bad and can not get it unstuck with out complete overhaul, would also like to upgrade the brakes to discs in front anddrums in back with better rearend, I have a turbo 400 automatic, the body will be mostly stock, no chop, but we been thinking about the headlight area which stock looking appears rathar flat, and a possible split rear window, just for something different... time and money will dictate most of the build of course.

17. I lied... :) ...'59 Thunderbird and I included the eyebrow extension down the side. Good luck with the build.
    [​IMG]

18. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

WOW thanks, that is so cool!

19. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

nothing new about adding extra headlights ;)

Attached Files:

20. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Guess I should have kept these before I scrapped the firetruck..

Attached Files:

21. tinsled

tinsled

I do like justified custom modifications that improve the looks of a car and are well executed. E.g. 40's fords and Lincolns roof line is kind of out of proportions, side windows look too high. A chop with nice flow is improving the looks of 1946...48 ford. However, I do not understand modifications for the sake of modifications, only to end up different. The 1948...50 Packard is exceptionally well designed in whole. All details are in harmony with the form. Incredibly difficult to improve. All the suggestions to front end modification presented in this thread are more or less ridiculous IMHO...
    Everyone does to his tastes, however, I would concentrate to paint theme and do it as good as possible. Packard was a grand marque, thus it would deserve quality in planning and execution when worked with.

22. ^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

23. Nitrobrother, you are absolutely killer with the GIMP work! I wasn't giving the quads any love until I saw the '56 Olds and '59 Thunderbird. Those could grow on me quickly. Some of the other versions looked vaguely European, or kinda like a Canadian style begging for a different badge. I love the HAMB!

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

x2!

25. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

... FUGLY...

Nitro brother... That makes it look like a citroen...

26. spiders web

spiders web

I've got 4 packards, 40,41,48,55. This tread has me laughing my ass off. great break from the everyday. Thanks!