Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Here's 2 Shots from Syracuse in 1969...............Rich

Attached Files:

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, Rootie, Warren Nulls did have a roadster that Bobby Marvin drove. Not sure if it was a bonafide Indy ride or not. I had a pic of it stashed somewhere, think it had a tailfin for a headrest. Here is a night shot of the Nulls' #27 that Tom York drove, dig the upholstery.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

My recollection of the Null's roadster was it was built as a sprint car. It was not a former Indy roadster.

4. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

I looked Gibson up in the USAC history book,7th in points in 69 and 11th in 70.

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

I remember watching Todd at Heidelberg in Seb Balistreri's#60 USAC sprint....

6. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

The yellow tail with 0 is pictured on page 103 #2048 at Oswego.

7. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I thought Bill Montgomery had quite compelling evidence that the Johnny Anderson car that was purchased from Sherman Cleveland's widow was NOT the Fike car?

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

OK I'll bite, who's Bill Montgomery and what was his compelling evidence?

9. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Page 849 of this thread. Bill Montgomery did the research and wrote the Kurtis Kraft Genealogy books. His handle here is monkaz.

10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm not sure how much he ran, but I think he had a lowbuck champcar ride also.
    I think Hank Albers out of the Dakotas was involved.

11. hamb n egger

hamb n egger
    from California

Here are some color photos that we received from Tom Sakurai. Tom and Jim met when Tom was a senior in H.S. in 1953. Tom went on to work for Jim at Henry & James Chevron and has a very good archive of Jim's racing past including Track T's, Sprinters and Dragsters. The Sakurai's & Yoshida's have remained friends for over 60 years. Photo credit: Tad Kitano

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's a beautiful race car, seems Hank Henry had a hand in that one too.

Attached Files:

• hh.JPG
      hh.JPG
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I was wondering about that, been comparing Hank Henry pics and searching for more pics of this car.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15. racer76

racer76

Right on target Jim

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: Historic Champ/Indycar Group (all addresses hidden)
    Subj: Entry Forms Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational

Here's the latest:
    Entry Form is now available for the 'Oval Only' as well as the Road Race Event at The Speedway.
    While the road race event requires a current road race license the Oval Only portion does not.

Link to the SVRA Entry Form page.
    http://www.svra.com/events/brickyard-vintage-racing-invitational/

Note: I spoke with Kathy Swinford this AM and registered my car over the phone in just a few minutes and will follow up with paperwork.

Kathy asked me to share that she is currently inviting others who are ready to register for the Oval Only Event to call her and do so over the phone.

Kathy Swinford
    Concierge Services Manager
    Sportscar Vintage Racing Association
    817-521-5158 [email protected]

I will continue to pass along info from SVRA as it becomes available.

This should be a lot of fun!

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Todd Gibson

Attached Files:

18. hamb n egger

hamb n egger
    from California

Thank you for posting that newsclip and the Getty link Rootie Kazoootie...We had heard from Dave Ward about a decade ago that Hank Henry built the body. He used a welding tank to bend the curves of the belly pan as witnessed by Dave...said he was a real tin wizard.

Those B/W Eric Rickman photos in the Getty link were shot for the feature that HOT ROD Magazine did on the car in April 1957. I will post the feature here. There were a lot of great photos taken that day that went unused...

The additional four photos were given to us by Jim before he passed away in 2006. They show the car as it was being built at Henry & James Chevron on Compton & Normandie in Gardena.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!! $2500 :eek: Man, I have got to finish building my time machine :D
    I figured those Getty pics were probably from the HRM shoot, they were certainly professionally done and those under construction shots are priceless. Thanks for sharing.

20. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

We plan on attending this event with 3 cars from the Bill Akin stable....looks like great fun.. two weeks following our annual trek to Indy and one week before the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, KY.............Joe

21. Crudbro

Crudbro

Bobby Marvin

Attached Files:

22. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Excellent!
    bringing KK500B, Epperly and ?

Don't forget to sign up for 'tent space' at Millers-Milwukee.

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

This event looks like a great time, with lots of Track time.. and killer cars to see...

But, what were told on the ENTRY fee per car?

I heard a rumor from one guy and was a bit offended--:eek:

J shaw

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Josh,
    Give Kathy a call for details. My fee for the 'oval only' was less than 500 which is almost half that of the road race groups.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cool! Good deal.. Yeah, we read somewhere that it was $1200-$1500 a car.. That was ridiculous.

$300-$500 is the "norm" for BIG TRACK vintage events and I still think that's high.. but I understand the costs involved.. (plus wanting to keep the rift-raft out regardless of the rea$ons the show organizers give.)

...I'd be more app to pay that to run laps the famous DIRT tracks we get to. :p

J Shaw

26. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

The #9 was an ex-Indy roadster, but it was owned by Steve Gioia Sr. and driven by several different drivers.

I'll look in my Oswego books when I get home and see what I can track down about the 02 pictured - it was Todd Gibson's car before becoming Eddie B's first Supermodified, and as such is a pretty important piece of Oswego history given the drivers who competed in it.

27. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

This is for Roy Carruthers..26 years ago today..Victory at the Hoosir Dome

28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

A great win! Roy beat the best in the business that night, straight up, no excuses. Roy refused to lose!!!

mac miller in INDY

29. Quote:
    Originally Posted by carl s View Post
    Josh,
    Give Kathy a call for details. My fee for the 'oval only' was less than 500 which is almost half that of the road race groups.

Tony Parella called last weekend. He convinced me, as I was "on the fence", to get my entry in the the June event at Indy. He explained the deal; and the entry fee(s), I believe, are quite reasonable. We'll be running on the road course, as well as the oval.

I didn't ask him about motorhome parking. The RV parking at the SVRA event at the Circuit of the Americas, last October, didn't work for us. Is anyone familiar about the RV parking at the Speedway? If not, I guess I'll have to call.

[​IMG]

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

John,
    I'd call Kathy and ask (and I think a lot of the logistical details are yet to be worked out) when I registered over the phone she asked for specifics on size of my trailer/truck so the sooner (We will run the car out of the trailer rather than the garage) you get into the mix the better.
    Carl
    btw: Dale Barry will be there and running the Road and Oval like yourself with his 1935 Riley Ford.

btw #2: In case you didn't see it when I sent it around-Here's some video clips of the SVRA Pre War Group at COTA last October:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Un7xMAh_E
    Hopefully next year you will be able to avoid mechanical gremilins and participate. Everyone at The Auto Club Historic Event felt bad for you breaking knowing you were due to tow immediately afterward to Austin COTA. Thanks again for sticking around with your car and significant other eventhough you couldn't be out on the track!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014