Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poorman's 52 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NEW2MALIBU, Jan 19, 2014.

1. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

Been working on the 52'. Found some doors, 40 mins. from my house....score. I have the 4" square tubing mocked up and bolted in. Gonna get some perches for the rear axle and move the rear under the leaf springs. I know I won't be in the straight axle club, but maybe sometime down the road I'll change it. I have a line on a 65' Pontiac with a straight axle under it that has been sitting for 22 years. Said I can have it if I want. Gonna go check it out tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

I like the rear were its at ,get it to high then its a street freak .

3. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

I'm with ya. Have tried to be conscious of the height. Too high to me looks like crap. Might just play with it, with a couple different tire sizes.

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep, sits nice now :cool:

5. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

What year is the front clip off of?

And is the rearend a little to far forward or am i looking at it strange?

6. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

Not exactly sure on all the bits and pieces. I bought it with a ton of crap in boxes and basically disassembled. Dude that past away had it in storage for 10 years we know of, then sat at his son's house for 3 years. Haven't even gone thru it all yet. I will post up a pic of the grill and you guys can tell me what it is. I am moving to the rear next. I also thought it was too far forward, but after looking at some stock 52's it looks as tho they were all a little forward.

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did the Pontiac with straight axle turn out? I hate to say it because you have done a tone of work and have a killer stance, but I would sure like to see a straight axle under it? No offense meant at all...just saying! Keep the updates coming!

8. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

Right now I really don't have a whole lot of work in it. I can't see the Pontiac until tomorrow. Dude told me I can have the straight axle, so if is not total trash I'll probably grab it no matter what.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What rear end is currently in the car? Generally speaking, with the 49-54 Chevrolet cars, the pin locator hole in the spring perch has to be re-drilled 1 1/2 inches FORWARD, that effectively moves the rear end housing BACK 1 1/2 inches. Yours looks "too far" forward, although it might be the angle the pic was taken from. One car we're currently working on is my nephews 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe. We still have the stock front suspension, but it is blocked up 2 inches using a different method than the block tubing you used, or the I-beam steel that was used in the past by most guys. It sits at a good height, and nothing looks out of place. Love those Coupes! Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

11. luke13

luke13

those early 50s chevs were pretty ugly, but they make great lookin sleds, looks good as a gassser though. well worth the effort.

12. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I think your car sits nice the way it is. Very cool, I like it

13. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Weight transfer was the idea of the gasser, rather than move the axle backwards I'd think it would be better to move the wheel opening forward. Anyone know if this would break the rules for */G and push it into an altred class? I'm thinking not as the axle would still be in the stock location.

14. captmullette

captmullette

looking good so far, gasser yes, street freak, no...................

15. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

Got a look at the Pontiac. 65' GTO old drag car has been sitting in an excavators lot for at least the last 10 years. Front end looks like it would be to wide for my 52'. Didn't have a tape measure on me. I think I can get the drop axle for free if I want it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. jimstro16

jimstro16

I think those cars make great looking gassers! I lifted my '50 with blocks in the front also. Haven't had the first voyage yet though so not sure if its a wonderer. If I could've afforded to, I would've gone straight axle though. Good luck with it

17. qwick68

qwick68

18. v8juice

v8juice

Nice looking stance

19. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

I did a 52 like that with 5 in i beam about 5 years ago. drove great had a blast in it!:D

Attached Files:

20. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

A little more progress on the 52'. Mocked up the front end with the pieces I could find. I bought this car in pieces, so for me it's a big puzzle.

Not sure what the grill is from, a 51' I suspect.
    [​IMG]

Here is a grill that came in the pile of parts. Not sure what it is from.
    [​IMG]

21. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Yep, I like what your doing. Great looking stance .

22. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

I see it is a 51' grill, but it looks as tho the piece I have in the middle actually goes on the bottom of the grill.

23. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

The other grill looks to be 51-54 ? Buick

24. High5

High5

Nice ride!

What wall thickness tubing did you use for the front end?

If you decide to raise the back end, I would recomend you install a panhard bar. It will cut down on rear body sway when going through corners.

25. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

not sure what your plan for the rear is, but when I did my rear, I used a set of Walton Fab springs and perches, flipped them from side to side and was able to fit a 8 reverse inside the fender (with some slight mods to the inner fender. I used a 8" out of a Maverick. I believe a 56" rear will fit between the factory rails (mind is 56.5) and it will handle a 265/70 tires (maybe a 275/70). easy way to get a mini tub look without messing with the frame

[​IMG]

here is my dads gasser with a little more tire

[​IMG]

27. One of my favorite early 50's Chevy Gassers, and the Corvette tail lights are too cool.

28. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

1/8"

29. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

Not much progress lately. Just be doing the body work on the doors. Man I hate body work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. NEW2MALIBU

NEW2MALIBU
    from Idaho

First coat of Bondo.

[​IMG]