Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oldsmobile Hydramatic Floor Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve 38, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Steve 38

Steve 38

Are there any companies currently making a floor shifter for the Olds Hydro? Or if not, has anyone on here ever adapted a floor shifter designed for another trans?

I did a search on this and couldn't really find anything, but if there are threads on here that can answer my question, I'd appreciate a link.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Didn't Hurst market one for hydros ? Early 80's,...if memory serve correctly,....

4TTRUK

3. Orn

Orn

I use a Gennie shifter for a Chevy Th 700r4 and it will fit on the Hydra with some work. I have to file the index plate a bit to make it work cause of the Hydras reverse is in down position comparing to the 700.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. What kind of Hydro are we talking about here?

Hurst made the Hydro/Gate for the Hydromatics of the 50s, B&M had the Hydro Stick... There were a few other companies that made aftermarket shifters for them as well.

5. Orn

Orn

My pics show a -56 Jetaway.

6. I have a floor shifter for a '64 Cutless that has adapted quite well to my slant pan. There is the problem of burrying it in the hump to make it look presentable but otherwise with a little filing a detent can be made for a reverse lockout and you also end up with a lockout to keep you from missing high and hitting neutral.

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

Hey you guys, thanks so much for your help. Sorry, I don't know what year the trans is. Its attached to the rear of a '55 Olds Rocket, but I think the two weren't originally married together. Here is a pic if its any help?

Orn, can you remember the part number for your shifter? I figure it'd be easier if I could buy a new one rather than try to track down an original, but couldn't find any evidence new shifters are being made for these, so wondered if I could possibly adapt a shifter designed for another trans.

[​IMG]

8. Orn

Orn

I will try to find part # for you. If you didn’t have a park position then you have a -55 or earlier trans.

[​IMG]

9. That is a slant pan I Steve's picture, so it won't have a park position. It looks pretty close to my B&M tranny.

Steve another idea for you, KCTA Cris used a B&M universal shifter in his '34 with the B&M hydro stick. It would also be a pretty easy task to contact B&M and ask them if they still make a shifter for the slant pan hydro.

10. I'm 90% sure the answer is no. I don't believe they're making anything for the 50s hydros anymore.

11. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Not to be picky, but I think it is a flat pan 53 and earlier as the slant pans usually had an external dipstick tube. The one pictured has the dipstick integrated into the case. The only difference in the shifter would be if it is on an angle or not.
    However, B&M no longer supports anything for the old hydros.
    Mr Gasket cheapo floor shifters can be made to work. They bolt/screw to the floor of the car and the linkage goes down to the trans. I think Hurst had the Indymatic which was about the same.
    Back in the day, Hurst had the HydroGate, B&M had the 'big stick', Ansen had the PosiShift, and there were atleast one or two more companies making them.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Ditto what DualQuad55 said, plus, on the slant pans, the front band is not "externally" adjustable. You can see both band adjustments on that rusty ol' flat pan. Almost any factory type floor shifter could be modified by removing the detent plate from the shifter itself, and making a new one. Be sure the "lever ratio" is compatible (1:1, 2:1, 1:2, ect) for things to work smoothly. There was also someone here on the HAMB that was making Hydro shifters a while back, but I've forgotten who it was. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Steve 38

Steve 38

Damn, I love this place! Thanks everyone for your help. So you think my trans is a 1953 and earlier?

Porknbeaner, thanks for the heads up. I'll contact B&M.

14. von Dyck

von Dyck

Yes, it is a '53. Also the shorter tail housing. I don't have to tell you that the Hydro is one BIG chunk of metal. Looks like you are having to deal with clearance issues on the valve body side. Check with GoatRoper on the HAMB - he might be able to hook you up with something.

15. Steve 38

Steve 38

Hey, thanks heaps for that. Thats really good info to have. Yep, its a monster all right. I'm having my chassis (1938 Ford) modified to fit the 324 Olds and Hydro. I'd have loved to run a manual 4-speed, but the adaptor kits are quite expensive. But I'd heard good things about the Hydros.

The Hydro has caused more problems than the motor, getting it to fit my chassis. But the company doing the chassis work are doing a really nice job, and making it look almost like the Olds and Hydro were designed for this chassis. They've cut the centre section from the x-member, then fabricated a custom housing that blends into what remains of the original x-member.

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You also need to be deadly accurate with throttle control linkage setup or you'll burn a Hydro up. Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

pm me our email and I can send some info about the linkage. One of these days I will put a post up here on it.

18. JACK30

JACK30
    from PA.

[ 55 olds shift linkage and pic of slant pan hydro

Attached Files:

19. 1953 olds guy

1953 olds guy

JC Whitney has a direct bolt on floor shifter for the early Hydros right now in there book.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Not only do they not make any hydro-related parts anymore,but they get kinda cranky when you call asking for this stuff.Either that,or you get a guy in his 20's on the phone that says "Oh,you mean a turbo 350.Yeah,we sell shifters for those.A what?A hydromatic?You mean a Turbo 400...?Cause we have shifters for those.Cast iron?4 speed?You have a Muncie then......"
    And it's all downhill from there...lol!

There is a member on here who has several NOS Ansen units for sale,but I can't think of his name off the top of my head.
    Try searching "Hydromatic shifter" and Im sure he will pop up.:)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

21. This is the extent of what's available
    http://bmracing.com/?page_id=28

1953-1955 :: B&M Hydro Stick – the only patented 4-speed Automatic Racing Transmission

B&M Automotive Products was founded by Bob Spar and Mort Schuman (B&M) in 1953. In 1955, Bob’s brother Don went to work for B&M. Soon after, B&M produced the only patented 4-speed automatic racing transmission in history, known as the famous B&M Hydro Stick.

Most phone answeres don't even know this little blurb is even on there.
    It's sad that no one there knows anything about the hydro stick.

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know,right?
    The entire business was built on that transmission,and 99% of the people working there have no idea that it ever existed.
    Its a shame.
    I always hoped that I would call,and some guy would find a dusty old corner of shelf space with 3 or 4 long forgotten hydro shifters sitting there.:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. I think that did happen , but it was probably 1968 or so.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Baaahahahaaaaaa...!!!!:D

As usual,I'm a day late and a dollar short...
    ....Or in this case 16,790 days late,and about $300 short.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Shift Master also made floorshift conversions. I got this one some time ago off of that auction site cheap as it was listed under hydrOmatic instead of the correct hydrAmatic. Safety switch was missing but adapted a Lokar switch to work. It was also for an earlier model transmission as the shifter rod needed a little fab work.
    (Sorry for the stupid sideways pic)

Attached Files:

26. You mean like one of these Scott:

[​IMG]

;)

And for anyone who hasn't seen it, check out the Hydro Tech group here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=791

Lots of info on shifters for the Hydro.

27. Dave50

Dave50

heres the best pic i got of my Hurst there may be a better one on my thread i have a Rogers by Fenton shifter new in boy that looks like it s for a olds or lasalle. IK it could be adapted if you need one

Attached Files:

28. dan griffin

dan griffin

The Hydro looks like 51 or older.Ck. the the plate on the lower rt.side. It will give the year and car it came out of. If you can not crack the code PM me. From the outside a 6 cyl hydro looks just like 8 cyl.hydro. The 6 cyl. unit has fewer clutch disks and won;t take the power. TV rod adjustment IS very importen. I ran a cheap Mr. Gasket shifter in Wastedchildhood.

29. Which hydro are you talking about? There's a few pictures on this thread.
    The one posted by the original poster has been identified as a 53 or earlier flat pan.

Posted via telegraph.

30. dan griffin

dan griffin

I thought we were talking about Steve 38s post.The small out put shaft means its a 49-51.In 52-53 when the Olds started making more HP they went to a bigger U joint.

u