Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Set the ignition key to the "ACCESORY" position.

;)

2. restomod32

restomod32

"Tunes should be heard and not seen"

Great post!

3. Abomination

Abomination

4. agshelby

agshelby

Apple makes a Lightning to 30 pin adapter. I got mine through Amazon amd I am able to run a similar setup - but I use my iphone 5 with the Pandora app.

5. HunterSpeed

HunterSpeed
    from Austin, TX

There's some really good info in this thread and I've had it saved for a while. Eventually I want to add some sort of digital music capability to my '35 but I'm trying to do so with as little impact to the stock appearance as possible. Ideally, it'd be great to have the whole setup hidden in some way - speakers and all.

In thinking it through I decided to gamble on the JBL micro wireless speaker. These things are tiny, portable in that they don't have to be permanently mounted, rechargable with 10 hour battery life and connect to the smart phone in your pocket via Bluetooth. You can even string more than one of these speakers together for improved sound.

Long story short, these things sound AMAZING. JBL hasn't let me down in the past and once again this is a great sounding product. Perhaps not ideal for every application (looking at you open headers) but I may just hang a pair of these in my ride during longer road trips while preserving my stock interior. Not a bad deal given their $60 price tag on Amazon.

[​IMG]

6. MP&C

MP&C

7. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

mine worked for a while, the the ipod to RCA connector deal quit working. On to plan B..

8. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

I'm not sure if this has been answered but had anyone found a PAC av with a USB port instead of iPod plug so that it is more universal?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we just installed a Redi-Rad in a 66 Cutlass that we sold to Canada.

very easy to install, simple instructions, thoughtful connections. worked great

our customer is pleased with the quality and the value

good service from Redi-Rad.

thanks Matt

10. nooch

nooch

Great post, I finally got around to setting this up in the parcel shelf of my rod. I hooked it up to the accessories and it works great BUT as soon as I start the car the amp stops playing music, just has this high whining sound like its about to explode! It doesn't get hot but it gets worse when I hit the gas.
    Any ideas what would be causing this? I notice my turn signals flash faster when I hit the gas too - I think its probably related but am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

11. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Make sure you have a good ground.
    The amp should be hardwired to the battery at the main positive and the remote wire should be wired in with the ignition.

12. Fenders

Fenders

Nooch, sounds like it's related to your alternator -- maybe a bad diode so it's putting out a lot of AC voltage on top of the 14 volts DC.

13. nooch

nooch

Thanks King Karl - I grounded it to one of the boot brackets and sanded down to bare metal but it could still be that. I connected both the red (battery) and yellow (remote) to the same wire running to the fuse box because I didn't want the amp on all the time but maybe that's creating the problem as well.
    As I say it works fine in accessories, I would have thought it wouldn't work at all if the above was wrong but maybe not.

Thanks Fenders, yeah I thought the same considering the turn signal issue - is there a way to test it? I run a Chrysler powermaster alternator.

14. This is a great thread! Lots of great info that I might use sometime down the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

The remote wire is what turns the amp on & off. Normally the head unit will handle the task of sending the signal to the amp but in this case you will not have a head unit/tuner.
    Just wire the remote in with the ignition & run the hot straight to the battery. Be sure to fuse this wire. Once you turn the car off the amp should turn off as well.
    You could also place a switch to the remote wire so if you aren't using it you can switch it off like you would a tuner.
    Your remote wire doesn't need to be as heavy gauge as the hot wire. A 16-18 gauge should be fine here.
    Separating the two should rid you of the noise.

Good luck.

16. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Test your alternator by putting a voltmeter across battery terminals and check output at tickover and while you rev, shouldn't go above 14.4 ideally, sounds like rectifier might be shot and could be pumping a lot more into battery, the interference could be your condenser can on distributor if you have one fitted these usually cause interference if they are shot or missing....

17. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

Just installed my setup in my five window. Used Memphis audio s225 amp and blue tooth module. Pretty easy set up,power from my main kill switch ( 300 amp right off of battery,I like it this way so I can turn all power off when not home , would suck to have something happen when I am gone at work for a couple days) nice high quality 10 gauge wire, fuses provided with amp and remote(blue tooth part). Hooked up to a pair of pioneer 6x9s. THis amp is small and not bridgable and not meant for mid to large sytems but since room is more of an issue than big sound it works great for my lil deuce. With a 12v cig outlet wired and out of sight so I can charge my phone when the pos iphone dies like it does every day and the blue tooth I can simply turn on my pandora and control volume with the blue tooth mod remote.When parked simply tuck remote between seat cushions and the whole system is out of sight and out of mind. NO cutting up 82 year old dashes for a deck for this guy! As for price, I am not sure, speakers where laying around garage and amp and remote where xmas gifts

18. so going to do this on my shortened A

19. 54LedSled

54LedSled

My set up is currently 2 6x9s off a 2 channel amp and my ipod. I plan on installing 2 front speakers soon and upgrading to a 4 channel amp instead. Is there a controller, at say radio shack, or somewhere. Where I can control/balance my front and rear speakers. Like if I wanted my speakers louder in the front than in the back?

20. the amp I used in my set up had output control to adjust the levels for the front and rear separately. but if you are looking for some in car control to adjust on the fly I can't say for sure but there is probably something out there for that.

21. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Has anybody posted the Pyle PLIPA2 yet?

Talk about cheap solution, depending on your needs.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-PLIPA2-2-Channel-Mini-Amplifier-with-iPod-Direct-Input/21607549

I have been working my way through the tread seeing if I can come up with anything that fits my exact needs before settling.

I'd like a hidden amp that works with non-infra red (no line of sight needed) remote. Want 4 channels and Aux port and USB port. And I'd like to stay under $125.

Closest thing I have come across is Shark Audio's motorcycle set-ups.

At this point, I am thinking about just stuffing a head unit hidden somewhere.

22. Great stuff here. I was going the way of a radio and remote CD changer for my 40 coupe. This looks like a neater way. Just have to teach this "old dog" new tricks. Thanks.

23. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Hey guys I would like to run a simple 4 channel amp with 2 6x9s and done 5 1/2s in the kick panels. What RCA cables will I need in order to set it up to run off my ipod?

24. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I've got open headers and can't hear a radio but I use these on roadtrips and they work great! Can still hear enough to tell if something goes wrong it just blocks the really loud stuff and allows you to actually hear the music without turning it all the way up and blasting your eardrums.

Attached Files:

25. Yep, that'll work just fine!

26. 416Ford

416Ford

[​IMG]
    Question for stereo guys, I have a PAC a/v output adapter and my Ipod is not charging. Hot wire is hooked up to battery hot and I have power past the fuse.
    Is my plug bad or is there a way to fix them?
    Ipod charges in the hose just no in the car.
    Thanks

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 63 BelAir still has the radio delete plate and I want to keep it that way. The easiest and cheapest way for quality tunes with NO installation is to use an IPOD and a JBL Flip2 speaker. Bluetooth with no wires to hook up. IPOD's hold hundreds of songs of your choice, JBL Flip2 speaker is 2"x 8" long for $100. When you park the speaker goes under the seat and the IPOD goes in your pocket.
    It couldn't get any easier. Why install anything. The system I described is completely portable. Use it in your car, garage, beach, anywhere.

28. I got an Alpine 4 channel amp with two 6x9s and one front speaker. the difference is the input needs to have Y cables

29. You need to jumper the input with Y cables