Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

The cars over on this side will ship West Coast.

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thank's Roy for info.I have it on the calendar and will pass it on to a good friend at work.His father was a DST employee and did a lot of work on the thunderbolts and would like to attend.
    Myron_

http://www.fairlaneclubofamerica.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&item_id=306819

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I had the pleasure of sitting next to a gentleman while at the 45th Anniversary dinner [2009] ,that worked at DST,wish I could remember his name,great stories!!! ROY.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,His name is Wayne Feitzer.His son is Dwayne who is also a talented metal fabricator with us in design.They were at the same 45th dinner you were at.
    Waynes name was on the F100XL drag truck early on before it was covered over with the dog bone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  5. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;YES,that was them,Father and Son!! I am so bad with names,even when I was A LOT younger!!!Thank You , ROY.

6. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

So- I have a weird suspension-related question if I may. Somehow, I don't see the "light" at the end of the wheelie tunnel. Roy will know where I'm going with this.Please bear with me, ol buddy.

With regards to my front straightaxle suspension on my Comet. I am now just starting to pull about a 6 to 8 inch wheelie, pretty consistently now. No tire spin, no drama. But, before my wheels finally lift off, my car has already risen close to ten inches on the front end!!! The front Econoline leaf springs really have that much of an arc of travel. So- by putting limiters on, to stop the travel, isn't that going to effect how my car is transferring weight to the rear wheels? Will the limiters now put the weight back down on the front, thus improving 6o foot times? Or will it just make it harder to adjust so as not to blow tires? I'm really not looking for massive wheelies, just actually controlling the rate of travel. The front leaf spring rubber bushings have just about sawed themselves apart from the huge range of motion!! Or- would I look towards some type of double adjustable shock for the front that will slow down the rate of front end rise?? I've built quite a few of these front axles over the years, but with my car getting faster, this is a new realm that I've yet to experience. Words of racing wisdom from the Comet gallery are always appreciated. Thanks !
    http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/2014-irwindale-pix/1914-irwindale-pix/img-0314.html

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/2014-irwindale-pix/1914-irwindale-pix/img-0303.html

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;Travel limiters may not work for your situation,every style of suspension works different!! John's 67 Cyclone 427 4-speed did NOT work with limiters,it would spin the slicks at the hit! I tried various settings until I found what worked for me!! Instead of limiters,maybe a stiffer front shock,slowing down the amount of rise.It is not a good idea to use the shocks as a limiter,they will eventually break!!I would rebuild the spring eyes,check the shocks for extension and install some sort of adjustable travel limiter,I use 1/8th inch cable and three cable clamps per side[two facing one way with third facing opposite],something like that should be easy to fab and adjust!!In the pictures of your Comet since the 351W install,you are getting a lot of weight transfer,but also a lot of front end travel before lift off!!! ROY.

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

9. SOHC427

SOHC427

Now that is cool!

10. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale

I'm a straight axle novice, but hopefully my experience from the 70s & 80s stock/super stock wars launching 5000lb land yatchs into 3' wheel stands with 200hp engines will be relivant. It's a product of inertia (distance & speed). On A arm cars we controlled the distance (suspension travel) by changing the spring rate of the coil springs (lighter springs compressed more yielding more travel) & cable style limiters like Roy mentioned. Imagine a sling shot, the more you pull it back (travel) the more inertia it creates. The speed is controlled by the shocks. 90/10 shocks of course allow travel to accelerate faster than 70/30, 50/50 or 30/70. The height of the wheel stand is simply a product of how high the wheels come off the ground before the additional weight of the front suspension nulifies the inertia.

Personaly, I would start with a 5 or more setting adjustable shock. A multi setting double adjustable might be overkill & expensive. If its still a problem, add a leaf to the spring pack to reduce travel. Finally, try the cable limiters (I think Moroso still makes them #C2025) to fine tune the set up.

Hope this is useful.....Mike

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  11. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Hey Eddie

Long time no see! Welcome back.....Mike

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

WOW, glad you came back, to give us the pleasure of your presense....
    Lets see the new toys!
    Eric

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mike thank you for your advice!

14. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale

All of the shock people I used to get advice from have been bought up by QA-1 or are out of business. But Calvert Suspension in Lancaster, CA makes 9 position rebound (seperation) adjustable shocks that sound like just the ticket. They are close enough you might even get some on track tech help from them.....Mike

15. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

BAD DAY!!!

<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GmAOaOSecZU?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

17. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Yeah, but to see your kid come running up to you to greet you?? That made it all better !!!!

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ok,what did I miss here....?I'm seeing lots of "Oh no",and "Bad day",but all I see before that is straight axle and shock info......Hope everybody is ok.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

19. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;so have you figured out what happened?That 6 Banger sounds good,hope nothing terrible[expensive] happened!!! ROY.

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

The 6 cyclinder sounds great and as Roy said, hope nothing broke bad. Here's a couple photos. I'm next inline for exhaust headers built, and got my MSD in position, used threaded inserts due to the double floorpan in that spot.....Al

the collectors are on a snow blanket in my yard.

21. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Dale:
    When Charlie said "daddy you did no good" that made it a better day...

22. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Roy, Al:
    I took the trans apart, and 2nd gear dog-ring was chewed up, I had a buddy of mine dress it up on a surface grinder, now I have to wait a few more months to see if it works...

23. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I have heard that once you miss a shift it can do that and it will get worse!!! I think that is the first time I could really hear the engine,sounds real crisp!!!! ROY.

24. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Mr. SIX GUN take my advice and get a Jerico Trans! And a softer clutch and you won't have those problems. Plus you can change Gear Ratios to shift better. Just ask Roy he will tell you. I been thru those gear problems with the Toploader that Joe Liberty's company built years ago. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;I believe SIX GUN IS running a Jerico!! ROY.

26. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Dave:
    I do have a Jerico 4-speed, but I switch to a Doug Nash 5-speed to keep the little engine (272ci) in its power-band... Jerico trans are GREAT they shift sooo Smoooth, but I'm new to the Nash... Jerico trans is FACE-PLATED in all gears, the Nash is PRO-SHIFT in 1st/2nd and FACE-PLATED in 3rd/4th/5th...

[​IMG]

27. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

WoW!! Sorry I didn't know, I had a problem with linkage because Jerico set it for a Fairlane which puts the shift lever to far back for where the seat Position is at for a Comet / Falcon. If you look at the tail shaft housing of a Toploader. The Comet, Fairlane and Mustang are all in Differant locations. I had to redesign the Jeroco to a front location, of which Jerico didn't produce. If the shift lever are adjusted incorrectly the trans will pop out of gear. I don't know if this happening to you but it might help some of you Comet Guys out there. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

28. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Quite the transmission! If I can ask; what does faceplate mean?....Thanks Al

29. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Al:
    Look at 1st/2nd they have little lugs on the gears (kinda like synchros) that's PRO-SHIFT, and look at 3rd/4th it has big star shaped plates on the gears and lugs on the slider that's FACE-PLATES, witch make it shift easier and last longer...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014