Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banging in the New Year. The January 2014 Banger meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Rivet

Rivet

Between each combustion chamber? Great idea.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I lay it on the web between #1 and #2 cylinder bore and #3 & #4 cylinder bore. I wrap each end around the head studs to hold it in place.

3. noboD

noboD

CDO, here's a question. If someone were to not lay the wire hole to hole would it still work? My thought is it adds crush to the gasket, which is good. But if it didn't end at a hole it would leak around the end of the wire.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On my Plymouth banger with the Y block head, I milled a .030 deep by .040 wide slot in the gasket between all the combustion chambers. Using the Ford head made for a very narrow space between chambers. I use a .040 copper wire and a .041 copper gasket. About 9:1 compression. Worked fine for me. Pulled something in excess of 4000 rpm for 3 miles or so. Or sometimes a mile and a third. Went 135 a few times. three mains. Didn't run to bolts, but had I thought of it I think I would. Never leaked.

5. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

CDO is that a solid copper gasket?

6. noboD

noboD

Thanks Rich, good to see you posting. I have no experience with this, but have always been fascinated by racer's tricks.

7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

8. Dig it! I knew how to start a Model A before I knew much about the female anatomy :)

Your rendition of Methodist Preacher is amazing BTW!

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nice Job.... Will

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No, standard Best brand copper sandwich.

11. I don't run mine hole to hole. I cut them a little shorter than hole to hole and just put a little dab of grease to hold them in place as I/we slide the head down.

12. I understand Zakiras Garages in Cincinnati is making, or getting ready to make Riley repops. These may be interesting...But, probably expensive.

13. noboD

noboD

Thanks Bill.

14. SAVE THE DATE! The annual time trials will be held July 12th, a Saturday, at the historic Santa Margarita Ranch. Details and photos will be forthcoming.:)

15. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

$1600 ea for the Riley's

16. Yup! Posted on the Auto Racing 1894-1944 thread, Josh Shaw told of how he used some Riley's bought from Bill Akin, to make the patterns. They probably will work as good (perhaps better) than the originals.

However, after discussing them with a friend of mine, and consumate race mechanic and crew chief to oval cars, of dirt to Indy; it was determined that the use of such carbs would not suit MY operations.

He said that Rileys are good for constant power and speed regimes. He continued that for varied power and speed applications, of which, I use (particularly on road courses); I would be better to continue to use Stromberg 97's.

[​IMG]

17. Anyone know what the original plug application was for a Super Winfield head with 14mm plugs?

18. I don't know the original but I use NGK B6HS. In a repop Al head I gave up on Champion 14MM plugs.

19. Rivet

Rivet

I use the same ngk's as just bill

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I use the same as Bill BP6HS Or BPR6HS but only on high compression heads 7.5 to 1 +
    Less compression I use 1 step hotter BP5HS
    But start with the colder and then read them

21. I had 10 or 12 laying around the shop so I went thru and oriented them the best I could then used the copper washers out of a set from Jeg's or Summit to align them all the same. Pointing towards area between valves. Working so only 1 copper washer on each plug I think, apprentice wrench pulled and mixed ! Now setting up original Winfield head and I'm going to use 18 mm plugs. Prolly start with D 16's.

22. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Having a issue with my belt...the alt pulley I got ..12 volt..seems not to be lining up good, almost 1/2" back towards the motor more than the other two. No room to adjust...not sure of the brand off the top of my head. Anyone have this issue before?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  23. Thanks guys. The reason I ask is I want to use NOS plugs from around 1946-1952 time period in my engine....Yes I know it's crazy....I am also thinking about using tool black on a set of new plugs. I will try that with some new NGK's

24. Carter

Carter

I've got a bunch of NOS 14mm plugs. If you can figure out reach you need maybe one of these would work.

1390700713132.jpg

25. Carter

Carter

1390700839633.jpg

26. For those of you who know the different OHV conversions, what conversion had both the intake and exhaust on the left side? This picture was taken in Corona, CA, sometime in 1938 (which would make the '37 in the background a pretty new hot rod). I'm wondering what the OHV conversion is. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

27. +1. Reach on the original 18mm Winfield heads was 1/2" (Champion 7 and 13 plugs recommended). No idea on the 14mm heads. Champion J series (from the 40's - 50's) were 3/8" reach, H were 7/16", and L were 1/2".

FWIW, the NGK plugs Bill recommended are 1/2" reach. You may want to go to the parts house and pick up a 7/16 and 1/2" reach plug to check, then go from there.

Those NGK B6HS plugs cross reference to the Champion L-10 and AC44F - those are 1950's numbers, so if the NGKs work for you, you may be able find vintage plugs with those #s.

28. Named Aristocrat, by Alexander Automotive Eng. Inglewood Ca.

J

29. [​IMG]

Looks like an Alexander.

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The Alexander is a unique head that had a steel face plate cast integral to the aluminum head.