Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Welder To Buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Colombo

Colombo

Well, I have come to the conclusion to weld on my own car to save some cash. What is the best welder under 500.00?
    Mig, running 120V, no gas.
    able to weld body panels and frames

Please school me as I don't know anything about welding but I want to learn.:D

Thank you

2. 327Eric

327Eric

Buy a mig with gas, not a plain wire feed. Much more versatile. Stay away from Harbor freight units, and remember, you get what you pay for.

3. 117harv

117harv

The search function will give you 200 plus threads with tons of great info.

4. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

search craigslist. there's always deals as it seems a common thing for welders to run out of money, or hobbyists to not really like welding as much as they thought.
    TP

5. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Hobart Handler 140...and definitely get the gas. Ask me how I know.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I went to buy my welder I went to the welding supply store and talked to the guy about what I was going to be doing, we talked for a while and he showed me the different machines.

I say get a 220 machine and get the gas set up. I bought a Lincoln SP170 but I'm sure the other "name brands" have good ones as well.

the red Lincoln matched my red Milwaukee grinder. be sure to get one that matches your other tools.:)

7. No Cents

No Cents

What he said.
    Hobart Handlers are hard to beat for the money.

8. rob bob

rob bob
    from Canyon TX

For what your looking for you should defiantly look into the Eastwood mig very affordable, 3 year hassle free warranty, perfect welder to start with.

9. aaggie

aaggie

Better to buy a quality used machine than a cheap new one. Definitely get 220VAC and with gas.

I bought a Lincoln 175+ which is now labeled 180+ with a cart and gas bottle a few years ago for a little over $800. I have seen used ones on CL and Amazon for around $500. It has served me well and easy to use.

Miller also sells about the same machine and the only real difference is the color, both work great.

10. brady1929

brady1929

I love my Miller 175

11. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Perhaps, but the problem with a 220 is you can't run it to the back forty to do those quick patch jobs...

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

"Better to buy a quality used machine than a cheap new one. Definitely get 220VAC and with gas."

That is very true. Try your welding supply place. You can get a LOT of welder for $500.

13. LouMerc51

LouMerc51
    from Louisville

Hobart 140 w/gas can't beat the price and versatility. Anything else is just too expensive for jobs around the house.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

Miller, don't buy a off brand and stay away from a Hobart handler, mine was broke more then it was working. Pay the extra and run gas.

15. deuceman32

deuceman32

x3 on this ^^^^ quote. I just bought a Lincoln 180 dual, which is the dual power version of the 180C. The 140C is a nice machine too if 140 amps is enough. These machines have industrial type all metal wire drives and dial-variable power output (as opposed to "steps"), unlike the cheaper versions found at the big box stores.

16. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Could be wrong but my welder supply company said Miller bought out Hobart and they are now both produced by Miller.

17. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Just curious...what broke on your Hobart?

18. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I had my Hobart about 20 years ago so they might have changed!

19. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

The Diodes went out 3 times !

20. big bad john

big bad john

Miller 175 works for me...nice unit

21. I have a Lincoln PowerMig 350. Not cheap, but can weld anything with it.

22. p51mustang

p51mustang

Milller -end thread.

23. OK, how do you know?

24. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

make sure you get a machine with gas, way better quality weld. I have the miller 210. alway buy a little bigger machine than you think you need. you will be happy when you need a little extra heat. you get what you pay for.

25. riskybiz

riskybiz

I have a HTP America Maxi Mig, It can weld anything from 22 gauge sheet metal .023 wire to 1/2 steel .040 wire 220V unit. I have had it for 32 yrs with NO PROBLEMS!! I also have their plasma cutter micro cut 350. MADE IN AMERICA!!!!! Look them up . A friend of mine liked mine so much he bought a HTP Auto Mig 110V as he was just learning how to weld. My other friend bought a HTP Versa Mig 110/220V. At work we have two Versa migs, two Lincon 175 migs and the new 211 Miller. Most of the body techs will wait for the HTP'S if they are being used.
    MY .02 cents of advise.

26. You'll have about zero success trying to weld sheetmetal without gas...

Century makes a nice 'budget' MIG (or at least they used to) that has 'stepless' adjustment on both wire speed and heat (most only have 'steps' on heat), a huge plus IMO. I've owned mine for 10 years, no problems.

27. TudorTumor

TudorTumor

I bought a Miller Thunderbolt stick Welder. Good for heavier angle etc.
    When I needed to Weld Sheetmetal I bought a used cheapie Flux Core (no gas) and learned to use it. When I needed parts I couldn't find any. Everybody local had parts for Lincon Mig. I had to buy Tips online for $5 and pay $25 shipping.
    I just Tubbed my wheelwells and built the Tubs with the Flux Core but had a buddy Tig them in with his 'Suitcase' Tig Machine.
    The Suitcase cost him $500 plus bottle and is far superior to anything I can do with what I have. Read up on Hammer Welding. Tig's the way to go.
    That little 'Suitcase' machine is just a little larger than a lunchbox, runs on 110 or 220, and will stick Weld also.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  28. Hobart Brothers was family-owned and operated until its acquisition by Illinois Tool Works (ITW) in 1996. ITW is a multinational manufacturer of a diversified range of value-adding and short-lead-time industrial products and equipment, and is also the parent company of Miller Electric Mfg. Co., Bernard, Tregaskiss and Jetline

29. Delray

Delray

If you plan on a lot of sheet metal work, which is what I use my Miller for, I would get the gas setup. Mine is 110 but I would buy 220amp if I were to do it again. I have a portable welder generator for field work and heavy welding so the mig stays in my shop. I've used both gas and flux wire and the gas makes it easier to make a better weld. I guess I would go with any name brand that will back up their product.

30. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Well, let's see. While the Lincoln 220 is great for the heavy stuff (landscape trailers, etc.) when I recently started the '65 Mercury Comet rebuild I had a small flux core Lincoln HD 100. Got the passenger floor pan replaced, and then decided "why bother"...purchased the Hobart mig and headed over to the driver's side. Too late now for pics since the carpet's back on, but all you have to do is compare the two sides. Plus, it took about a third off the time to et the driver's side completed...