Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "MR 800" **NEW LOOK**Now with blackwalls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Jan 17, 2014.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

brown wheels 003.jpg with blackwalls 003.jpg with blackwalls 001.jpg for sale coupe body 023.jpg 29 with lettering 005.jpg 29 with lettering 005.jpg 29 with lettering 005.jpg I've had it in bare metal for the last 2 summers and decided to change the looks before I get tired of it and sell it.. What do you guys think?? Better, worse, or don't care...

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I think it looks great.But I like simple things that are easy to take care of.What size tries on the front ?

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

4.50/4.75x16" Firestones...

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks finished.

5. hoop

hoop

Looks great!

6. I kinda liked it better before, and that's sort of weird, 'cause I usually don't care for the raw look. That said, I like the car so much that it doesn't matter, it's great both ways!:D.....Are you sure there are 800 louvers, I only counted 799:rolleyes:

7. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

I think the white walls need to go.

large-stache likes this.
  8. ............I would have to agree. The car just looks more "sinister" with the blackwalls.:)

9. metal man

metal man

I don't know... I like paint but I really liked the lakes look that it had going on with the blackwalls. I guess I'm undecided. I'm guessing you have multiple sets of wheels/tires that you can switch out whenever?

You do need to do something about that primer overspray. My eyes went straight to that:)

10. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I like the new look. Your car is really neat. What type of paint did you use?

11. metal man

metal man

No doubt it's a bitchin' ride either way. I've seen it in person a dozen times and I dig it.

12. Asking for opinions on here is risky business at best.

I like the bare metal version better for one reason,,,
    It's showing its scars and bumps as they are, in progress. Very neat car.

Slapping paint over them didnt help, it made it look worse and like you don't give a fuck. The rubbed thru primer spots are a bunch of fauxpatina bullshit. The overspray looks like ass.

Perhaps if you spent as little as a week dressing the metal work and maybe an hour masking things before hosing it down, it would appear different.

That's my opinion, and probably didnt make you warm and fuzzy. Sorry.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Paint job is lousy.. Rattle cans.. I'm cheap.. I really don't care that much about paint.. I sometimes feel paint gets in the way of seeing how or why a car was built this way or that and if it has the "look".. Did I mention I was cheap...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

It looked better before paint to me. If I was buying I could have seen exactly what I was getting. Now it looks like somebody hastily sprayed it with no prep work done at all, and if I didn't know you or see the car before, I would assume it was painted to hide some problems. Plus taking rattle can paint off is a hell of a chore most guys want to avoid. Killer car though, I just think maybe it needs to be cleaned up a bit before you have prospective buyers look at it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. v8juice

v8juice

We think the same way

16. I see that and follow the same line of thought sometimes.
    And That's why I think it looked better before the attack.

17. i think the hairpins bother me more than the "cheap paint"

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I plan on getting rid of the overspray and repainting the hairpins.. I just pulled it outside to get a look at it and snap some pics before the snow moved in.. I haven't decided if I like it yet but was just getting tired of the bare metal look.. I really enjoy this coupe, have no intention of selling it, just wanted a different look.. And yea, the blackwalls may go back on...

19. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I liked it better in da raw metal and blackwalls, the new makes look really unfinished to me, take some thinners and wipe that rattle can thrash off that car now , I demand it ! Lol no offence but u ask for opinions !

20. I like it rattle canned. It's exactly what we did in the 60s. I had a 37 Chevy coupe we took the fenders off and painted it red oxide with a roller, that was in 1964 or 65, high school, broke, but havin fun. Good job, like having a different car for next to nothing.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

What's up with a headlight under the back? Backup light? :confused:

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

23. Because you asked..I liked it better before (work in progress look).
    I can appreciate fresh paint..after it has been properly prepped.

24. dragass

dragass

Before looks better simply because the color doesn't work for me. Either way, I really like the car. Seeing your car was the deciding factor on my own 28 build on which grill shell to use, a 32 or 28 shell. I really like the look of the grill shell on your coupe.

25. boutlaw

boutlaw

Both "versions" look good, but, since you asked, I prefer the unpainted look with blacks. Love the backup light and pushbar.

26. banginona40

banginona40

Great car! I have always liked it a lot. It looks good both ways, though I am not really a white wall guy.

27. n847

n847

Scrap metal I'm sick of bare steel cars! Having said that I've seen this car in person several times I must say that I F'n love it in bare steel! I'm sure it will be cool in black and I have no problem with rattle cans. I do think the black walls would make it much more palatable and I would even the black out with no rub through patina.

The best I ever saw this car look was after the Springfield swap meet last spring. I was rolling down Dixie and saw you go throught the light in front of me running down little york. Its so tuff looking and striking in motion that it stopped me in my tracks! I imagine some of that will be lost with the paint. I'm sure it will be just as bitchin in person...it's the details that make this car! Either way I'm a fan!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

OK guys, pics with blackwalls...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  29. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

30. 1badbaker

1badbaker

I like the black walls with the tan rims.