Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Stig

The_Stig

Those Johnny Come Latelies are copies if this original which was planned for visiting New York:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TonyVoltron likes this.
  2. swi66

swi66

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

5. swi66

swi66

6. swi66

swi66

7. I'm not sure that they have the right demographic area for this add.

8. swi66

swi66

9. swi66

swi66

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was thinking the same thing,one would think the Chevy II would have been a more appropriate model to advertise in that area.

11. fremont rugrat

fremont rugrat

I remember my stepfather parking his 57' Chevy Cameo in a similar manner. Had one to many cold ones at the neighbors that night. Not the first time I had to pull it out either, nor the last. LOL

12. talkinboutwillis

talkinboutwillis

[​IMG]

Guys..i I'm loving this thread! So cool. This photo is from 1939 in Manville, NJ. I have a whole site dedicated to vintage views of my hometown of Manville. I'm looking for vintage Manville photos! If you have any you can share please message me! You can see my site if you click HERE.

Here's one more. First Manville Police officer. He was formerly a professional boxer who went by the name Babe Farmer!
    [​IMG]

13. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

You might want to update your file names. According to a B-36 historian friend, the plane is indeed flying near the Lowry AFB, the western area of Aurora County. The other 2 images are both illustrations probably from the publication, "Combat Crew." Both paintings have strange elements, notably the navigator/bombing station plane heading right for the other B-36 in the background.

14. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Nice! '55 DeSoto during their zenith period. Owning a DeSoto was near upper class stuff. My dad had a purple & white '56.

15. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Ernest T. Bass's uncle scratching off the Mega Millions lotto ticket!

16. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Horten H IX.

17. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

[​IMG]

Port Huron Mi. Black River looking east to the St. Clair river, that's Canada in the background.

18. Mart

Mart

The description doesn't seem to match the pic.

This pic appears to be associated with Henry Leland, and the car is said to be a 1902 Cadillac prototype.

I would be interested in seeing the pic the caption is describing.

Mart.

19. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

[​IMG]

All the models of the Havers automobiles made in Port Huron Mi. being prepared to ship to St. Petersburg Russia for an international car show. The hotel in the background still stands, much as it is in the photo.

20. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

I remember this pic. It's in the Hendry book. Alanson Brush is driving and Wilfred Leland, Henry's son is the passenger.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I had my doubts about the picture too, It was posted on a local history sight, and they claim the information I relayed was written on the back of the photo. The person posting the photo locally is a decendant of Joseph Quick Johnson.

22. jimkf

jimkf
    from Ohio

58 Willys 170 van prototype. Odd looking, that's for sure!

Attached Files:

23. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Isn't that Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga?...

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack Northrop & associates designed the flying wing 1929, later the Nim "jeep" flown at Muroc dry lake bed in 1940,
    long before the Nazi's copied his ideas.
    Todays "Stealth" bomber is the direct result of a man's dream.

Anybody notice the Coke bottle by the nose wheel??

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

This is certainly not Henry Ford. This is the first prototype built by the Cadillac Automobile Company in the fall of 1902 (at least that we have seen photos of). The name of the company had been changed from the Henry Ford Company to the Cadillac Automobile Company on August 27, 1902. Ford had severed any connections to the company in March of 1902. He had nothing to do with the company after that date. This particular car was a Hussey body with a Leland built one cylinder and was Cadillac's first prototype that we have seen photos of. This was one of the earliest runs with the car, possibly the first of any note. The driver is Alanson Brush and the passenger is Wilfred Leland. The Leland archives are in the Detroit Public Library and the last time I went through all of the archival material it was held in 18 file boxes.

Many tales are floating around concerning Ford and his association with Cadillac. I have never found any material that showed he took part in any design or building process of this car. He later went on to start his own company in March of 1903 and that company exists to this day. When Ford built his 1903 car (called the Model A) he used the Wilson Body Works who rented space in the same building as Cadillac. Cadillac also called their first model the Model A and used Wilson to build some of their bodies as well (they used two other firms I know of to build very similar bodies although this was the only Hussey body they used).

That is why the Model A Ford and Model A Cadillac looked virtually the same. Same basic body but Cadillac had a one cylinder and Ford has a two cylinder opposed.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PIN with flying wing inside, WWII.

Attached Files:

27. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Thank you for the information, I will pass it along. The person in the photo probably isn't who the person posting the pic locally thinks he is. She was seeking info on that person, Joseph Quick Johnson. I sure didn't think the guy in the car looked like Henry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.