Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hemi Nash Metro Mustang II Search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arnolddyer, Jan 16, 2014.

1. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I bought a Nash Metro and want to put my Hemi in it. But before I do I need to put a mustang II suspension under it. It has to be about 45 1/2 inch tracking. I have called all over trying to find one. Fatman was the closest, but they said I would have to put another rail inside of my already narrow rail taking it from 20" inside measurement to 16". There are a lot of Metros out there that have big blocks and mustang II IFS in and on them. Anyone out there can shed some light on me? Love to talk to someone who has done this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I did one.....
    call me for details..
    Its still sitting in my shop.
    Dave
    831-262-7294

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Appreciate your response, Dave. Hope you received the pics I sent.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

5. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Thanks Blue One for the info. I have visited that site before and found it very helpful. I also found another site that did quite similar of a build on http://autoweldchassis.com/metrop.ivnu I did get a hold of a fellow there, but could not elaborate to far on the Mustang II. So, that is why I was reaching out to the guys on this site to get more of a personal communication. I have been in touch with one super fellow (caveman- Dave Lewis) who has done one and is very knowledgable and professional.

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

can't speak to the big block clearance issues, but my sister's met has a 302 and a modified fatman kit so I have some expereince with this.

in hers, the the full subrframe assembly and floor pan system was replaced (and had a roll bar intergrated). I say modified becuase fatman installed the ifs (i think it was one of their first met intalls) back in the mid 90s. when it came home my dad just wasn't happy with the turning radius it provided and ended up taking it so a local race shop (Boscoe and Barry Lowe FWIW) where they re-worked it.

not sure if that helps any, but it's what i can contribute. all the other mets we've got are pretty much stock expect the new one we bought for my daughter. it's getting a turbo 2.3.

I'm hazy on the details, mostly becuase I was away at college when this was happening.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Thanks Falconsprint63 for the input. I think I read up on your sisters build. With a 302 cu. in. I'LL BET IT'S A BLAST TO DRIVE!

9. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Thanks for the site info gimpyshotrods. This is going to be a challenge to get all the ends of this puzzle together. It is like re-inventing the wheel except others have done this and it's interesting to see and hear how some have done this. Just need to get some fine details.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of those damned things that was stock my SR year of High School and my first year of trade school. The rag tops don't have enough chassis strength as is let alone after putting a big V8 in one. If you jack up any corner of that car as it sits you either won't be able to get the door open or you won't be able to get it closed due to the flex. On that note I'd highly consider building a full frame under it if you plan on that much power and intend to put it to use.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, rag top, or not, this needs a full-frame.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just a line of thought for you, Years back in Hot Rod magazine, (I believe it had to be in the late 80s or early 90s) there was a feature on a wild Nash Metropolitan that I liked a lot.

I still have the magazine somewhere, just can\t find it :eek:

It was black and the car was widened at least 4" and had rounded wheel wells on the front and rear. It may have had a few inches of length added somewhere but I'm not sure.

I can't recall many other details but the car was very nicely done and I thought that it was the perfect build turning a strange little car into something extraordinarily nice.

14. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I'm not sure about that build, but the one that I listed, Autoweldchassis.com, said you cannot get a power rack, although they claimed they found one in the Woodward series.

15. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Mr48chev, You are right. Any rag top should be extra supported because of the absence of the roof. But, even more so being a Metro "cracker box".

16. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I believe I saw that one on the net. I think it was at a car show. You're right, Blue One, it did look good.

17. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I used a new ( built for me )
    Maval unisteer manual rack..
    The narrowest one they can build...
    Arnie and I had a great conversation Thursday night.
    I will be shooting some pics to send to him in the morning.
    The metro is in my shop with no engine...
    No problem getting measurements etc..
    Dave

18. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Dave ,did you receive my sent pics?

19. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Time traveller, I will look at that when I get home. Having trouble to view with my iPhone.

20. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Yes..I recd . The pics..I have not opened them yet...I want to sign on my desktop to load them...not on my phone...
    Dave

21. 2nup350

2nup350