Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Isky at the Lakes,.... A video.. History before our eyes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'll start this by hoping this hasn't been shown before,... And I couldn't find it in a search,.... All I can say is watch this,... It's time well spent.

Enjoy guys,... this is what it's all about....

http://vimeo.com/78233672

Montana1, kidcampbell71 and pat59 like this.
  2. tedster

tedster

Cool. Thanks for posting.

3. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I thought this might be an appropriate place for these pictures.

Attached Files:

• 056.JPG
      056.JPG
      File size:
      289.2 KB
      Views:
    • 057.JPG
      057.JPG
      File size:
      330.1 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

5. .

Ed is the man...

Thanks for posting Dennis.

6. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks for the link...very thought provoking.

And thank you "Camfather"

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Harms Way

Harms Way

I guess for me, I watch this and see the Man and the Machine as one,.... you don't think of one without the other coming to mind,... And they are both growing old gracefully.

Someday, there will be a parting of the ways, A day when the dream and vision of that young man will be the only tangible thing left behind...... That seat empty and those familiar hands never to touch the wheel again... A very early and very personal reminder of Ed's journey through life, which included the foundation building of Hot Rodding.... which we have been intrusted with.

Unlike a number of other Artists and historical figures, Most of our pioneers leave us with only one unique creation of there hands, desire, vision and talent,.. They might be remembered for several cars,... but only one that uniquely identifies them,.......

There is only one car that first comes to mind first when you hear the names like Spencer, McGee, Person, McMullen, Mack, Isky, Jacobs, Chaporous, Henderson, Nitty, Negley, Hirohata,.... Etc.

These men,... Some gone, and some still with us will leave behind a mark to say "I was here, and this is what I did",.... They created functional forms of art, Something to please a number of senses.... However like I said, they will forever be associated with only one pinnacle creation that took them both to a zenith of Hot Rodding awareness.

And as the video states,.... As they pass on, one by one, They effectively hand the keys over to the Hot Rodders that follow,..... To keep the spark alive, The flame lit, The passion still burning......

As Traditional Hot Rodders go full throttle peering through there chopped windshield,... Don't forget to occasionally look in that rear view mirror,... At those that paved the way.....

(Sorry about getting long winded guys,... Just thoughts I wanted to share)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. deuceman32

deuceman32

Very well said, sir. Thank you.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Very cool.

And to think he's what, 93.

I love that car.

Has anyone ever cloned it?

Could you even find the heads anymore?

Rich

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can't believe only a handful have commented on this video. :confused: This is both history in a clip AND inspiring. Thanks for posting!

11. YES SIR! Ed is the MAN and such a very nice man!!
    THANK YOU for sharing.

12. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

such a great video. I dont think any of us could imagine our great hobby without Mr. Ed doing his part early on

13. 354HEMI

354HEMI
    from MARYLAND

I think that one of our model car and/or diecast manufacturers should
    reproduce a quality reproduction of his car.it seems to me that a legend
    such as Vic Edelbrock should at least be recognized with at least a model
    of his car made available to the public. i would surely buy one myself and i'm sure many others on this site would do so to. thanks for this post.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A model kit would be cool. An 1/18th scale diecast would be awesome!

15. This is a grate video met him in late 60's basically hello.
    I still run a cam in my truck

16. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Great vidio, I will be thinking of Ed Eskenderian every time I start my car.

17. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

thank you for sharing.

18. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Thanks Dennis for the vid!!!

19. That's a flathead with some valve covers he made. Sort of a travelling billboard for what lurks beneath.

I talked to him at length two summers ago when he was in town visiting (He grew up two towns over before his family moved to L.A.) and I have to tell you he is smart as a whip. He stopped in at my shop with a high school friend who was kind of chaffeuring him around and he is interested in everything and wants to know about everything. He'll ask advanced questions and it was obvious to me that he is operating a couple levels above the average guy! And he's in his 90s!.

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Actually it has Maxi "F" cylinder heads, a semi-overhead valve conversion that was available during the late '30s. Originally, the Maxi heads were intended for commercial trucks to improve engine cooling......

21. But he cast and engraved his own valve covers.

Many people have looked at that motor thinking it was a modern V, then Ed would tell them it's a flathead with valve covers he made. Then he would good naturedly call them a big dummy. I think that makes a good and hilarious story!

22. Such a Pioneer.. and determined success story

23. So much history right there, thanks for sharing. Very cool. JW

24. CHILLS man.....

25. striper

striper

I love the video and thank you for it but have to disagree with your thoughts here. I think you are right that each of those pioneers listed above have left us with a lasting icon of hot rodding but I think in each case (and its a good list) the legacy is so much more than that single piece of rolling art. Because each one of them has been so influential on the shape of rodding after their creation. Each of those and many others represent pivotal points in the history of the hobby and so the legacy of these cars and their builders is more than a single zenith in the builder's career.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

I never seen any for sale.

Are they more rare than Arduns?

Rich

mike in tucson likes this.
  27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great little video! Ed is truly a great gentleman, and I wish everyone had the opportunity to meet and listen to his stories. I was blessed to have spent an evening listening to Ed, and having some one on one with him a couple years ago. It's something I'll never forget, and a high point in my life.

28. smitty city

smitty city

I had the privilege to meet and talk with him in Indy a couple of years ago, he is sharp as a tack and willing to talk all day if you want, vey down to earth I thought...I really enjoyed it.

29. That was amazing! Thanks for posting!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

This video is the Tribute video to Isky that started off the Awards banquet at SEMA this past year (Nov. 2013). Ed was the first President of SEMA started back 50 years ago.
    I was privileged to sit at Ed's table along with my friends Chuck White & Robin Millar. Ed's brother & sister-in-law and a few others were also seated at the table. Gene Winfield sat in the table next to Ed's and Linda Vaughn was also nearby. The video was/is a fantastic tribute to Isky who is 92 years old is very funny, mobile and spry.
    Here's a link to the story about SEMA & Ed:
    http://www.hotrodhotline.com/founding-sema#.UtlWqPso5kg