Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious...why are '49-'50 Mercury's so coveted?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Newbedonnie, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebfabman

ebfabman

ummm........because I have one...:D

2. Duh..........

Some things are just because they are...

3. 327Eric

327Eric

It was a good looking car when new. Then Sam Barris Chopped one. And it was cool. Then the cool guy in school got one, and if he was cool, then if the other guys got one, they would be Cool, and thus a trend was born. And they are still good looking cars.

4. Eric H

Eric H

They only became cool after this.

Attached Files:

5. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

If you have to ask, you probably won't get it.

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

If my memory is still working right....I think Sam Barris bought a '49 when it was about a year old. He saw the potential for a great custom right from the start.
    He was right.:):)

It's one of those designs that is just "right" as it rolled off the line and perfect for customizing. Ford's are the first choice for hot rods and customs for a simple reason...the styling in the '30s and '40s was better than anyones else's, at least in affordable cars.

For example:
    '32
    '33/'34
    '36
    '39/'40

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nah, Hollywood slapped that together for the movie because they'd already been cool 20+ years. Same reason why there's been hammered Merc's in other movies such as American Graffiti (another quick movie build), California Kid, etc.

When compared to a stock, clunky 1948 car, the 49 Merc was a milestone in design. They looked great stock (James Dean's) and thanks to early 50's builds by Barris, Ayala, etc. they looked even better.

Songs have helped push popularity, but sometimes I wonder if the mainstream guy driving a flamed PT Cruiser with fuzzy dice to cruise night and calling it a Hot Rod, misinterpreted the whole gig.

For the O/P; if you chose the Desoto in post #9 (I hope not), you really don't get it.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Cool comes first. Movies and music follow.

Wayne's World and Bohemian Rhapsody didn't make AMC Pacers cool.

9. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

because "they" said so

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure why anybody would ask that question unless they were not a car guy or gal.

11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Back in the day a Hudson was called a "poor man's Merc."

12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

been a "car guy " all my life and never liked the mercs---like the work and the look some customisers have done ---but they are heavy and slow looking and only have a cult following, never popular across the spectrum---the hudson is a better looking merc...

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

They may have said that, but Hudson had "that look" in 1948. Slab sided integral fenders a whole year before anyone else. And the prices were comparable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was surely not the case; trust me, I was there.:D

15. Ever heard of the word quintessential?...representing the perfect example of a class or quality.

The 1950 Mercury is the quintessential Custom much like the 1932 Ford is the quintessential Hot Rod!

Some will disagree but it's hard to argue with history.HRP

16. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

X2 ...plus Hudson kicked ass on the track in the early 50's

17. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

"why are '49-'51 Mercury's so coveted?"

Because you can't make anything else look this good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I find it interesting to see what others think.
    Is that good enough for you

My opinion.

The cool factor just oozes out of them
    whether straight from the factory or customized.

Just like a '63 Buick Riviera. :D:D

19. desotot

desotot

1967 there was a 50 merc on the back row of the local car lot,the hood was unlatched so I lifted it up, the plugs had been removed from the passenger side head, I guess the engine was toast. The salesman walked up to me and said, give me $50.00 and you can take it home, I had the money saved up so I went home to discuss it with my dad. He was so unreasonable, after all I was 11 years old, I needed that merc. You see even though I hadn't seen Rebel without a cause, or heard 49 mercury blues,, I understood,, yes I understood......

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

When I was quite young I saw old photos of my dad's 51 Merc (which you can see in my albums here). I knew then it was the coolest car ever
    and I had to have one some day.

[​IMG]

Didn't know anything about movies or songs about Mercs.

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Because only the coolest, best looking, hip, rich,swave, de-boner guys drive them.

Yes a "49"

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Kaiser had it a year before Hudson.

[​IMG]

23. Eric H

Eric H

I was being extremely sarcastic.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I think the real question is, with their popularity since new, why is so little available for these cars? It still blows me away that the 49-50 grille surrounds are not reproduced. I realize it's a fairly complex shape to stamp, but the demand for them would be huge!

25. Tell me about it, I have been looking for trunk hinges for my 50 for a year now.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. My guess is that is wouldn't be as huge as everyone thinks is probably the reason. It's not a part that is usually badly damaged on most Mercs so the only guys that would buy them would be guys looking to customize the front of another car (or like me use two on the front of a Merc) and I am not really sure how big that market would be. I get the feeling it is one of those things that because they are fairly rare and thus expensive to buy everyone thinks everyone wants them and they would sell like hot cakes.

27. BJR

BJR

28. ettenod

ettenod

Looking for hood latch assembly for 51 Lincoln
    The Lincoln looks like the mercury just longer wheel base by 7 inches Over-all-length 222.5in vs 206.8 for the mercury.

29. Really, and here I was always under the impression that Henry Ford died in 1947! I guess ghosts really must exist!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.