Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A pickup (re) Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott mckelvey, Feb 19, 2011.

1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That truck is awesome. It's in my top 5 HAMB picks. Simply outstanding.

2. Beautiful truck, well done!
    I agree, spider caps would look nice....

3. Scott:

What are the front shocks, extended and compressed length? I've got a '29 AA with a Pete & Jakes upper frame mount and a bolt-onto-lower-perch bottom mount, and I want to get the right shock length. I think I've measured a 14-18" travel, but am looking for a similar setup to compare.

Oh, and I'm just amazed at your fabricating skill and problem-solving abilities. Rod on, brother!

4. VonKool13

VonKool13

RAD Truck. But if you want to make it better, you should ditch that grill for a really unique tractor grill. Then if I were you I would think about some well planned plastic spiders placed in strategic locations, will really make that motor pop. Of course you are going to worry about getting water in the carbs when you are trailoring that rat rod to the shows, maybe grap some oversized sheet metal from your back yard or local street signs, bend it over your knee and loosely place over the motor. :cool: Im glad I could be of some help.

5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Small update. Mainly been driving the wheels off this thing every chance I get. Even did a couple of 200 mile round trips. But I have chipped away at a couple things:

• replaced o-ring on speedo sending unit, so that's not leaking anymore.
    • Replaced the Speedometer, so now it's reading.
    • beefed up the base alternator brackets since it seemed to flex a little. And redid the arm since it needed to be a tad longer and was unsightly anyways.
    • Installed Pertronix. My points were good and spot on, but I have to say it does seem smoother. No pics, but the install was kind of a pain since the distributor had to come out and apart, especially compared to the Ford units.
    • Played w/ the Stromberg jets. I'm running .050 now.
    • tested running w/ just the mechanical advance and went back to using vacuum, as it runs much nicer w/ vacuum hooked up.
    • wrapped the exhaust baffles. I didn't mind it being loud, I just wanted to see the difference. Wow, I can't believe the difference a tiny bit of packing made. 1 sheet of this Moose stuff was enough for both baffles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Don't know how the heck I missed this thread before, but just wanted to say what a great job you've done on this little truck, Scott. Very proud of you for saving this truck from Rat Rod hell.:D It looks great and is a testament to your skills and perseverance............Don.

7. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Wow...I missed this too. Very nice job.......!

8. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

X2.. Great job and it looks right!;)

9. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

man you did a hell of a job fixing this truck. Looks real good!!!

10. Thanks guys. Not much of an update, but I've been driving it every chance I get. About a month ago I lunched an axle bearing on the 58-64 chevy rear.

The good news though: since I got it on the road in August, I've been chasing a little noise at speed when there's little or no load. Kind of a rattle but it was hard to hear and nail down. I tried:

• I though it was pinging at first assumed it was the Strombergs since it went away w/ more throttle. I rejetted a couple of times to no avail
    • Still though it was pinging maybe, so I did everything possible ignition wise. no change.
    • then i was convinced it was the Hydramatic. Manual described it as a symptom of tired dampner springs in the Torus. Seemed logical.

One day the noise worsened significantly while driving, and even got a little clunky. I was convinced the Hydramatic gave up the ghost. I got home and noticed Gear oil trail into the driveway and all over my rear tire.

I figured a seal went bad. Well the seal is part of the bearing, and the bearing was toast. Turns out, that noise was a failing bearing all along, which I still can't believe. But the truck is better than ever and even more fun now that i'm not listening for that noise all the time.

Attached Files:

11. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Good excuse to put an 8" or 9" Ford axle in. I worked at a Chev dealer in '56-'57 and we replaced these all the time on low mileage cars.

12. Nah. It's all good, plus it's a p-case.

With most of the snow gone now, we got some miles in this weekend once the kids napped. I've actually hauled quite a bit of crap in it: which is my favorite part.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. Trans works great but the pan was a little leaky which annoyed me. Wasn't sure what id find inside. This is after rinsing it out but it was quite clean, which I was happy to see. New gasket, but more so, alot of hammering to flatten the flange

This thing takes 10qts, so that's at least 10 reasons why I put it off so long, especially since I started with fresh fluid in august. 10 qts also = big mess.

Drove all day and everything is quite dry. Parked tonight will tell the tale though.

Really nothing left to do now......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Except watch some one load it on their trailer and take it to a new home.......

sadly, I guess we can close this thread now.

Attached Files: