Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Homemade racer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fred pooler, Jan 16, 2014.

1. fred pooler

fred pooler

This car started out as a pile of mismatched parts from a junk yard and flea markets. The theme is a 1936 Buick speedster. The tail was fashioned from a 1956 Buick roof and the hood and grill came from a 1936 Buick. The engine is a 1963 Buick 401 nail head. The frame was a 1929 Buick bus frame shortened 30 inches. The front end came off of a 1937 Chev 1/2 ton. The steering and rear end came out of a modified dirt racer. This is a blast to drive. Gobs of power as you can imagine.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Dirty Dug like this.
  2. deuce354

deuce354

Nice job!!!. Looks like a lot of fun. How does it steer, that is a mighty long pittman arm? Narrower tires & wire wheels would make it look like a two man Indy car. Love the long hood!

3. fred pooler

fred pooler

The car steers perfectly. It is a power unit. The wheels and tires were chosen for long highway rides. This car runs as smooth as glass.

4. That's some real fine fab work.Power cowl steer gotta be a first:D

5. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

Nice Job!! I see this is street legal? What kind of hoops did you have to jump through to get it licensed? It does look like it would be a blast to drive.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks good you going to race it up Pikes Peak

7. fred pooler

fred pooler

This car hates hot weather. I'm going to run the exhaust out and down the side like they did at Indy in the 30's. That should allow that car to run a bit cooler. I was surprised at the 20 MPG (highway)I got last summer.

8. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, nice. But I agree with deuce354 on the wheels, just to make it more the period look. Try it, you might like it. Nice job dude.

9. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Very Very Cool!!! Love the body, and length. But have to agree, thin tires and spokes would look awesome.

10. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

this is awesome on so many levels!!! I'm also curious as to how dificult this was to title, and that nailhead ought to throw this thing around pretty good!

charlie

11. bobadame

bobadame

Very nice work there Fred. I'd love to see it sometime. Also interested in the licensing process here in Colorado as I'm working on a home made car too.

12. Thats one sweet looking Buick

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love it! Everything looks great!

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like it, alot.
    More pictures? Some of the engine, some interior maby?

There tires might be the mole, but I Think the wheel fits nicely, in the looks departement. But if it was my car I would have some different sets of wheel, just to try out what is the Best match for the car.

16. fred pooler

fred pooler

I'll address the tire choice. This being my first "from scratch" build I kept hearing about the terrific power this nailhead Buick had and I was worried about losing control if I had thin tires. The engine turns these big ones easily. These big brutes keep the car straight and true under heavy acceleration. I used to own a Model A coupe with a 454 Chevy in it. Too much power and would jump lanes on the highway when I put the big pedal to the floor. I had big and littles on it. This set up is a dream. I do agree that the looks are not what they should be but the road manners are superior to anything that I have ever owned.

17. jkeesey

jkeesey

You can get old style bias racing tires that would be close to the same size and would still handle well.

18. Absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic craftsmanship!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. fred pooler

fred pooler

I always bought something that had a number somewhere on the frame or body. Then the rest is easy if you are patient.

20. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I'm with the "more pictures" crowd myself. Looks great.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I like it! And I personally feel like this is the first car I've seen those wheels on where it DID look right. They look to street-roddy for me on a "standard" hot rod, here they look like the indy car wheels they were designed to look like. The steering is crazy looking!

Would like to see a side shot to get a sense of proportions of this thing. Very neat, and different.

22. fred pooler

fred pooler

More pictures of the build

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Hey Freddy park it next to Gary so we can get a sense of the range of your abilities.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. fred pooler

fred pooler

Hey Redhead! Do you want me to embarrass myself. I'm trying to turn a corner here.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a huge Pitman arm hanging down there. I put a Lee MFG sprint car box in my Model "A" Sedan for cowl steering. I wanted the steering arm to run parallel with the frame so I put a 16" pitman on it. Looked incredible but it was impossible to drive. How is your steering?

26. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Looks like a fun car. What's the wheelbase?

27. fred pooler

fred pooler

Hey Deuced up. I took my marching orders on the steering and quick change rear end from a modified dirt track mechanic. He supplied a Profile steering box that looked like a big Chevy power steering box. We bolted a Speedway power steering pump to the engine and began enjoying a terrific driving experience. You can steer with one hand at any speed and feel safe. The reason why the pitman arm seems so long is that if I lowered the steering box I would not have been able to get my feet under it to access the brake and gas. I solved some of those problems by putting pockets in the floor board for my feet to get under the steering shaft.

28. fred pooler

fred pooler

121 inch wheelbase

29. fred pooler

fred pooler

More pictures showing steering set up. Engine was set back 18 inches to get a 49/51% ration in weight distribution.

30. No pictures on the last post. Check your profile. I thought you moved.