Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tremec T56 behind a Desoto hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gullwing, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Gullwing

Gullwing

I am building a 345 Desoto hemi and just bought a Tremec T-56 transmission. I know that there are a lot of different vesions. Mine is a
    TUET-2066 which means that it came from a GTO, Holden Monaro. I called my local Wilcap distributor who says they don't make an adapter for this version of the T-56. Huh? Is this true? Does anyone know of someone that makes an adapter for this combination? I thought the GTO had the same pattern as the Chevy. This is going to be a real problem if I can't solve it. There are not exactly a lot of T-56s in New Zealand to pick from.

2. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a tremec out of a 02 camaro and it came with an adapter from tremec to go to any sbc . not sure if a additional adapter on the hemi to a Chevy with a pilot adapter may solve your problem.

3. 35desoto

35desoto

I am using an AX15 speed from a V6 Dakota behind my 330 Desoto - lot easier to adapt in and already in a Chrysler bolt pattern which then allows the cross over to the early hemi bellhousing bolt pattern to happen without much problem . Built in clutch throwout bearing and slave unit inside the bellhousing eliminates a lot of fabrication

4. Leviman

Leviman

That T-56 will have the LS pattern bellhousing which is essentially identical to the old sbc pattern. The top bolt is in the wrong place, which doesn't matter much, and another bolt hole is just not there (GM got rid of it). You should be able to use any SBC pattern to hemi adapter. I believe the input shaft is longer than than say a muncie. Also, you won't have a slip yoke out the back. A T-56 from an LT-1 Camaro would be a better bet for you.

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

I adapted a Viper T-56 to a Mopar small block many years ago. The easiest way I found was by modifying a Lakewood steel bellhousing that was already made for a small block. Then all I needed to do was mate-up the T-56 to the other end (bolt pattern, correct height to allow correct input shaft length, etc.).

I would suggest you could take a similar path with your setup as long as you enjoy the engineering and fabrication side of the hobby.

- EM
    <input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a T56 in my Model A. The adaptation for a Desoto Hemi is a multi-step process. The first one is to get an adapter that makes the front of the T56 appear to be the classic old-school GM/Muncie/Saginaw pattern.

I used one from McLeod, which has a T5 release bearing collar on it, so, when installed, the T56 "looks" and adapts to things, just like any old T5.

[​IMG]

If going this route, you CANNOT use a LT1 style input shaft. It is simply too short.

-OR-

I don't know the Holden engine block pattern. We don't have them here. If it is LS style, then it is a slightly rearranged L6/SBC/BBC pattern, so it is adaptable, if you want to use the whole bellhousing and clutch assembly.

LS pattern:
    [​IMG]
    Classic Chevy (late):
    [​IMG]
    Classic Chevy (earlier):
    [​IMG]
    Add a bolt, delete a bolt, it all fits, still.

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I am sure that I can get your hemi to that transmission. Can you post a picture of what you have?

8. Gullwing

Gullwing

[​IMG][​IMG]

picture of my Tremec T-56 TUET2066

9. Gullwing

Gullwing

Okay, I can see that the upper left screw hole is missing, compared to a "classic small block chevy". That does sound like a deal breaker though.

Greg

10. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Unless you plan on designing everything, and I cant say I know Hemi's well, but if there is a kit to put a Chevy manual transmission behind your 348 Hemi, then it should be as simple as bolting that kit up.

The kit that Gimpy posted should work behind the Hemi to Chevy kit. Basically its a 1/2" (0.500) spacer, with a throwout bearing collar.

You can use that kit, or else machine your own 1/2" (0.500) spacer, and run the hydraulic throwout bearing, thats normally used on a T-56. A 26 spline clutch disc is needed.

The LS1 T-56 is a better choice, but you have to add a 1/2" (0.500) in there somewhere, either behind or infront of the bellhousing.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would use the plate that I posted, and a old school Chevy bell, if the adapter calls for a bellhousing. That bell you posted leaves you with the weird pull-style clutch, and will leave you scrambling for an expensive custom flywheel.

With the conventional bell, you can use a "regular" flywheel, and all of the stuff in the T5 transmission adapter setup.

12. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Just for a bit of added info. If he was going behind a regular Chevy smallblock, that T-56 bellhousing would work fine, with just a standard old 70's Chevy clutch, and flywheel. And the T-56 throwout. Just needs 1/2" added.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, but with the DeSoto Hemi, not so much.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell Wilcap that you have a T5, and see what they offer. With that plate adapter, what is on the front looks and functions just like a T5.

The only variable I can think of is that with this setup (LS T56), on an SBC, you need an extended pilot bushing. You will probably need on on the DeSoto too. Nothing a short run on a lathe, with some Oilite Bronze wont fix right up.

15. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Ahh, I would have to know the Hemi kit. Either way you wouldnt need a custom flywheel, if you can bolt an old bellhousing/T5 up also.

All your plate does is replace a hydraulic push bearing, with an old manual one. For about $400?

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ok. Have I got this correct? With this trans, you need an o.e.m. throwout bearing, OR use the McLeod adapter plate for a conventional and/or aftermarket hyd t/o bearing.

The input shaft on this T56 extends 1/2 inch longer than a conventional sbc transmission, but the McLeod adapter will take care of that 1/2inch, as long as an old style sbc bell housing is used.

The output shaft is not a slip yoke type. And I have not located a conversion main shaft for this particular model trans.

17. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

When I've adapted a T56 Viper trans, I pitched the T56bellhousing. I used the bell housing that matched the engine and made an adapter plate that mates the gearbox to the bellhousing. The rear face of the bellhousing gets cut off, and the adapter plate gets welded in its place. This allows you to establish the proper 'stickout' of the input shaft, and you also get to use all T56 throwout bearing pieces.

But personally I'd ditch that trans and find one that has a slip yoke rear, such as a Viper box.

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

From what I understand, the Viper box and the OP's T56 share the same input shaft length. If that is the case, (tailshaft and rear yoke withstanding), I would use my hemi to SB Mopar adapter along with a QuickTime SB Mopar to T56 bellhousing. You would need to use the o.e.m. hyd throwout bearing assembly.

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Yeah, if they make a bellhousing then that is the way to go. When I did it no one was making one. Is the QT a steel or aluminum bellhousing?

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$205.50.

I have never had a hydraulic failure in a mechanical clutch fork and conventional throwout bearing, ruining the clutch lining, on the side of the road, in the mountains, with no cell phone signal, at 3am, in a suit.

I will use an external clutch slave cylinder, and carry a spare. That way, it can be changed from the outside, without dropping the transmission, or totally ruining the clutch, in the event of a failure.

You will only make this mistake once.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the adapter, and a conventional SBC bell housing (or any other adapter bell that takes a T5, for any engine) you can use an OEM T5 throwout bearing and a conventional fork, pushed or pulled by a cable or mechanical linkage, or a hydraulic throwout bearing, or a external hydraluic slave cylinder, on a conventional fork. It is up to you.

The adapter is 3/8" thick. With a conventional SBC bell, and an LS input shaft, an extended pilot bushing was required. I cannot confirm if this would be the case with any other engine. A good machine shop can make one, fast and cheap.

You can get a fixed-yoke, and have a driveshaft built with the slip-splines in the shaft.

22. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    From what I understand, the Viper box and the OP's T56 share the same input shaft length. If that is the case, (tailshaft and rear yoke withstanding), I would use my hemi to SB Mopar adapter along with a QuickTime SB Mopar to T56 bellhousing. You would need to use the o.e.m. hyd throwout bearing assembly.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

TR Waters Early Hemi Parts
    Early Hemi to SB Mopar Trans Adapters
    www.trwaters.com

TR This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing to adapt my T56 to my 354. Only concern is I have an older BORG WARNER not tremec and can't determine if that would be same Quick Time Application.

23. henryj429

henryj429

I have a T5 behind my 330 Desoto. I used the adapter from Hot Heads and a Chevy truck hydraulic bellhousing. Might be worth giving them a call.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is.