Register now to get rid of these ads!

'34 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kess, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Man this truck is really looking awesome, thats some real great work.It was also great to meet both of you at the show this weekend. i will have to make some time to stop down and visit at your shop Koz.Keep up the great work!

2. Kess

Kess
    from PA

Yeah I cant wait to drive it! Nice meeting you as well and thanks for your service to our country! I was checking out your build thread, looks like a nice project. I'm sure Koz will be more than willing to answer any questions you might have on your build, he's a great wealth of knowledge. Good luck on the build!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Koz

Koz

You're welcome anytime! If you want to set that truck nicely I have some killer frame layouts you're welcome to. Equally great meeting you at McCungie.

4. jerseymike

jerseymike

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That is one awesome looking truck. Great job!

6. FRANKTHECRANK

FRANKTHECRANK

Nice build. I have a 34 Ford PU myself so,....I might be a little bias. ;)

7. Koz

Koz

I've been so busy getting stuff out of here I haven't had time to shoot any pics. Mostly I'm just being a whining cry baby because my roadster isn't ready for Wildwood but I'll get over it.

The truck is down to the last details and as usual it's fighting me all the way. It's always an effort to tie up all the little stuff and it absolutely sucks time sourcing tons of little crap that you need at the end. I'm building my third set of alternator brackets tonight because the ones we were going to use won't clear the relatively tall vintage Cal Custom valve covers with adapter rings under to fit the Vortec heads. Didn't help we're using a huge 200 Amp alternator to drive all the power suckers in this one. The distributor for some reason is about .250 short of engaging the oil pump properly. It also hits the rear of the back carb so I need to run it 180 deg. out. No big deal. I have the 2x4 sorted out with them running straight up. The fuel sender doesn't match the gauges they sent and on and on.

It's gonna' be a late night!

8. fryguy

fryguy

Koz, anything moving on Kess' truck since I was up there last week?

Paul

9. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

did this ever get finished? any pictures?

10. Koz

Koz

Truck is indeed near finish. We worked out some sweet details near the end which I need to post. I've been so busy in the shop I just haven't been keeping up with my picture duties.

We are waiting for the Hartz Cloth bed cover and the interior needs to go to the trimmer. Also I'm reworking the sides of the bed a bit and making some really neat parts such as a unique shifter and have a bit of work to do on the graft of the !5" rim to the banjo center. I have been trying to clear my plate of some other work here so I've only been working on this as time allows.

New pics up soon!

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

12. Koz

Koz

Truck is pretty much finished. We are waiting for a few parts to get in in for inspection and some road pics. About another two weeks to the road with any luck and some decent weather!

13. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Truck is looking great! Keep up The
    good work!

14. Koz

Koz

I just looked back at this thread and it's been a while since I posted any pics! I need to stick some stuff up here or maybe Kess can post up here.... hint hint.....

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Ditto. HRP

17. Kess

Kess
    from PA

Here's the latest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

Nice truck I like the outcome looks great.

19. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Who did you guys use to do the glass?

20. Thorracing01

Thorracing01
    from Nebraska

What is the approximate ride height/ ground clearance? Also what is the overall height to the top of the cab for your truck. Have been following this and it has really turned out nice. Good Job.

21. Koz

Koz

If Kess doesn't mind I'll jump in here since I can measure the truck.

Overall height 52 1/4" at the back of the cab roof, highest point.
    Minimum ground clearance is 5 1/8" with the exception of the dropped Super Bell axle which is just a hair lower. That way you won't get small animals stuck on the bellhousing! Every inch of space is used under the truck to accept something to get that much ground clearance in a very low vehicle. The pipes on the sides under the doors are actually the lowest part of the truck at 4 1/2" but PA doesn't count them for scrub line so I think we're OK. With any luck and a few parts, on the road in two weeks or so.

22. Koz

Koz

H & M Ebling Glass Shop does all my glass. I supply the templates and they fit to suit. Highly recommended as they do the best work I've ever come across at the best price. (570)-385-3349. Just don't start talking to the Owner about Model "A"s or the days gone! He's a long time old car guy.

23. Thorracing01

Thorracing01
    from Nebraska

Koz,

Those numbers sound awesome. If you don't mind I have a few more questions. About suspension setup and the cab.

Thanks
    Joel

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Koz

Koz

There are some pics in the beginning of this thread that show the chassis. The entire reason the truck sets like it does is because of the frame. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Up front, Super Bell 4" dropped axle with Model "A" reversed eye spring and SoCal hairpins with scratch built rod end brackets into the frame.

In the rear, reworked Speedway '32 four bar setup with AFCO coil overs and the rest is just scratch built. The body is technically not channeled. The frame is constructed to lay right under the door sills and this allows for recessed footwells, much like a new car, between the rails and the monster GM 5 speed. The foot boxes are fabbed even with the bottom of the frame rails which helps with road clearance and gives much needed leg room in a '34, which are notoriously tight. To gain additional leg room there is a fabricated seat frame that folds to allow access behind the seat. To assist with "line of sight" the base of the windshield is dropped which also helps with appearance on the cab. If I had to do it over I would have also added 2" to the cowl like I did on Henrys Sport Coupe. Live and learn!

Since the floor uses every inch of space The pedals are of the Ansen style fabbed to lock into the stock Ford cowl and activate a bell crank assembly that places both the required hydraulic clutch cylinder for the trans and the brake master cylinder inside the frame rails and beside the engine on the left side. This has the advantage of easy service for the brake system. Everything else from the E brake system to the drivetrain is hand fabbed and unique to this truck. Virtually nothing is off the shelf.

Post up if you need pics of anything.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  25. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Koz. Let's see some update pics ... Looks like you have all kinda of cool stuff going on over there!

26. fryguy

fryguy

Keystone Kid, Koz has a lot going on over there. Kess' truck is something you really need to see in person as the pictures don't do it justice. Its a very cool truck. I know he has a handful of projects going on over there. Hopefully he can snap some pics of what he's working on to show his full talent level.

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

28. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Any progress on your Buick since this snow has thawed?

29. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Nope