Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cowl steering/mopar box geometry question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scott49mercury, Jan 15, 2014.

1. I am getting ready to start mocking up my cowl steering of my Model T and have a few questions. I am wondering what size steering wheel to use with the mopar steering box. I am thinking about using a 10" to 12" long pitman arm and want to make sure I match my steering wheel to gearbox. The reason I have concerns is because I am building it for my wife and do not want her to have to strain to much to drive it. I am thinking of using a 15" steering wheel. I also need to make sure I can drive it and i'm 6 foot and 250 lbs so room is at a premium. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

How about two wheels that use a quick coupler like they use in NASCAR?

3. I have already decided on a quick coupler for the steering wheel so I could go with two different wheel. I guess I am just wondering the characteristics of the mopar box with cowl steering. In the past I used a vega and cross steering and my wife had no problems but I have never driven a car with a mopar box and just want to make sure I set it up right.

4. 33rag

33rag
    from Pa.

I have a mopar box in my track roadster.Steering arm at the wheel is 71/4",pitman is 10"and steering wheel is 15".It steers fairly easy and is not twitchy to drive,works pretty well,Good luck

5. that is the exact information I was looking for, I have never used one and just wanted to know the characteristics to make sure it works out right. thanks

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The mopar box is 24/1 ratio (6 turns lock to lock) but one can also get them 16/1 from FIRMFEEL.
    I also have a brand new box (rebuilt by them and never installed) for sale if interested $225+ shipping

Attached Files:

7. I already have a steering box, but thanks anyway

8. FWIW...I read a thread a few weeks ago that stated an 8 1/2 inch pitman arm is the best for a cowl steering set up. Wished I saved the thread but I did not.

9. I would think the length of the pitman arm would be determined by the box gear ratio. I have read that some guys use a 12" arm on a mopar box witch would make it harder to turn. I was thinking 10" because it would make it easier for my wife to steer. do you know what kind of box they were using with the 8 1/2" pitman arm.