Register now to get rid of these ads!

Latest eBay score: Old Dixco Tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F250racer, Jan 15, 2014.

1. F250racer

F250racer

Just received my "new" tach for my '59 Ford truck. While it does look cool as it is, the main reason I got it is because they were made on Vashon Island back in the day, which is my hometown. After shipping and all I paid $45 which I think is a great deal. I don't know what they're technically "worth" but that price was worth it to me just for the "Vashon" writing at the bottom.

Does anyone know what year it is, or if I can find out? From what I read he moved his company off island and out of state in 1963 so it must be before that. I plan to remove the case and put new wires on it. Right now it has 3 old orange wires coming out of it. Also I read something on here about changing resistors inside to set it up for a v8/v6/4cly etc but I'll see what I find on the inside.

Anyone have other info on these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rob68

Rob68

That is very cool. Good score.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool find and in good shape too...

4. indianhead74

indianhead74

Nice find, The hometown connection is great. Hang onto her

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Dixco made some great old tachs.

Jimbo

[​IMG]

6. F250racer

F250racer

Well I finally got around to opening it up. How do I get the rest apart? The only other screw is the one on the face and it just spins freely in both directions.

Right now I have a black, brown and small green wire coming out but they're all hacked and spliced. I'm sure I could get it to work but I'd like to replace all the wires from inside the tach.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. High5

High5

The black screw on the front face allows you to accurately set the needle indicator to zero. If you don't see any movement to the needle when turning the screw, it is broke.

As for removing the rear case, I suspect the front face lip is rolled over the edge to the rear case. The only way to remove the rear case is pry the edge up. Easier said than done. If you've never done this before, it might be best to give it to somebody involved with tach restoration.

There is a gentleman in the Seattle area that works with Dixco tach's.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Most likely the insulators around the two terminals are holding the back from moving. Carefully remove the insulation around the terminals with a small pick, and the case should come freely off.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I did't know about the Vashon Island/Dixco tach connection either. Only been on Vashon once, in 1990, and it was to look at a 56 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery that was for sale. It did't turn out to be much of a "car". The guy was an "outlaw biker" type, and had a sign in the yard, "Joker parking only". So, I assume that would have been Gypsy Joker's? The guy was also raising wolves and wolf hybrids. Sound like anyone you may know? I agree on the nuts/studs through the insulators holding the casing on. If it is't held on by them, then send it out for repair/recal to V-8; the guy that does the Sun Tachs should be able to help, williamsons.com. There are a few more, tachman.com, dandmrestoration.com, instruments.com/sun. Good luck. Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.