Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '65 Corvair Corsa resto (uh oh!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leviman, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Looks great! Good job on the tin, nothing will kill an air cooled motor faster than leaving pieces of the shroud off. Don't forget your grounding straps to connect all the tin pieces together. Looks like a 140 sitting on the floor, they fetch good money. If you have a chance to drive the Corvair in the snow (Alaska right?) you will be impressed how she handles.

2. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

Lost my virginity in a Corvair! A friend had a Crown conversion with a Buick V-8 in the back. Wicked fast! Your car is very nice! What memories there!

3. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"The rear camber is fixed now, we hadn't found the proper camber bolt yet in this picture."
    Are you aware of Clark's Corvair @ Corvair.com and California Corvairs @ californiacorvairparts.com?

Join http://corvaircenter.com and you'll be in a large community of Corvair guys.

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

My Co Worker has one in the works...
    [​IMG]

5. 68vette

68vette

Larry R never did say what tweaks....now that years have passed, I would venture to say he probably had it tweaked to get to max boost much faster than stock as his corvairs were extremely quick. I am pretty sure he had a 64 and a 66 as they had turbo's in both those years.

6. Leviman

Leviman

Yup, the weatherstripping we got came from clarks. My brother started a thread over at corvairforum.com. Thanks for the compliments guys! Today my brother sourced some of the missing emblems and a few thermostats for a very good deal. Fireengine, that is a 140 on the floor. I've got quite a few 140 parts. That motor is locked up unfortunately though.

7. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Awesome find and build. My dad had 4 Corvairs. I always loved them. I tried to talk the guy around the corner from my work out of the early convertible he had sitting in his garage but he wouldn't let go of it. I always thought it would be cool to shorten one behind the door and make a copy of the prototype. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 41 C28

41 C28

I had a 65 Corvair Monza 140hp back a long time ago and loved it, traded it in on a new 69 Grand Prix. Heard Covairs referred to as "the poor man's Porsche".

Attached Files:

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Levi-man that body looks nice and straight hope one day mine turns out that nice. It has a crown conv. with ah 396 that my brother was building in calf. before he passed,i've been working on it off and on for years(too many years off) ,the body is nice and solid being from calf. but being form calif.:rolleyes: all four corners have been dinged :mad:---- Got my sticker all made up to go in the window when it's finished (the little guy pissing on Ralph Nader):D

10. Leviman

Leviman

Wow, been a while since I remembered to update this. So the car is officially my brothers now, he's done all the work so far and signed the title in his name. So now I'm just posting on his behalf. The car is %99 assembled now, but these are just the pictures from the corvair forum that he's posted. I'll get fresh ones tomorrow.

NOS Emblem
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windshield in
    [​IMG]

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks great !! One easy mod is to cut the cooling fan fins down that round casting line just at the edge of the opening of the shroud.
    I had a few of these cars if you keep a full tank of gas in it and a couple concrete blocks up front you can were out those twisty roads.

12. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

This corvair looks like it's going to get engine in right end of the car. I like the idea ! Nice to see corvair's , not many around this area.

13. Kinky6

Kinky6

That black proto-type reminds me a lot of the Ghia Type 34. O.K., nothing to do with hot rods, but an interesting design just the same.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

14. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

WOW GUYS,
    I know this thread is very old but I had to mention this. This Corsa is my very first car that I bought when I was 14. I'm not talking the same year and model. This is my old car.
    I drove it for awhile and started a restoration on it but never completed. The gentleman who bought it from me sold it to the OP. I had the car completely stripped when I sold it. He must have blasted the unibody. I know the car was mine because of the pictures of the parts. 140 engine was also mine. Had a bad cam love and the boxes that the parts are in where the same boxes that I put them in.
    The car was originally Regal red with red interior, wood 2 spoke wheel rear mount antenna with wire caps.
    I'm very pleased to see that the car was restored. I just wish he had rebuilt the engine. It needed it, I know.
    I have loved Corvairs for many years, but I now have a bigger passion for the EMs.
    I will see if I have some pics from when I owned it.
    Love turbocharged vairs!!! 20190430_194702.jpg

chevy57dude and scotts52 like this.
  15. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That is funny shit because it's TRUE. The guy I sold the car to was a friend of my father and I drove his 66 Corsa with the Weber DCOE. It had driveability issues that needed to be sorted for in town driving but when you had your foot in it you were in for a ride. It was a beast.
    Oh, that muscle car he was referring to was probably my OT 79 TransAm 400 4spd with some slight mods. That little Corsa flat out spanked my 6.6
    Good times