Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping Nightmare Success

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flip, Jan 14, 2014.

1. flip

flip

To the many who are wondering about the lost shipment here is the story. I wanted to update this but "Cliffy" beat me to it. To briefly described the OP, I hired a shipper through "U-ship" to haul a cab for MN to MI. On Nov. 21 he notified me he was having engine problems with his truck. From there, I lost contact. After jumping through a lot of hoops, as a last resort, I posted on the Hamb. Hoping maybe someone might have run across him in there travels and more specifically if someone in northern WI. might know of him. Well "1 Hotrod" contacted me and suggested I contact the Wisconsin Hamber's social page. Doing that I found, "Cliffy" who said he knew a lot of people in the area. So I sent "Cliffy" some information and within a couple of hours he and his contacts had located the shipper. After a few attempts, "Cliffy" was able to make contact with the shipper who agreed to turn over the cab to him. "Cliffy" drove 30 miles one way to get the cab, much of it in freezing rain. In the meantime, my wife and I drove 11 hrs. to WI. After arriving late, we hooked up with "Cliffy" and a friend for some fish and beer. The next morning "Cliffy" took his forklift and loaded the cab onto my truck. We than made our way back to MI. As for the original shipper, he did have engine problems, had no money to fix it, and gave no real reason to "Cliffy" why he didn't contact me. This is after I offered to come and get cab and pay him his full shipping fee. I guess I have my personal opinion as to why he failed to communicate.
    Now as for "Cliffy" - an angel sent from heaven. It was amazing what he did for a person he had never met but was in that hot rod family the Hamb. I could not thank him nor pay him enough. It is refreshing to know there are people like that out there, and I am sure there are a lot on the Hamb. Thanks to all who showed concern for this situation. The Hamb is a great place, with many people willing to help in many ways. Finally one last Thank you to The Hamb and especially "1 Hotrod and "Cliffy" for a happy ending!

2. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Glad everything turned out for the best. As for Cliffy... helluva guy!!!

3. 117harv

117harv

Even though you had some, to put it mildly, shipping troubles, you did get to meet and make some new friends. Glad it all worked out good, you now have another life/hotrod story...long live the HAMB!

4. skinnydude

skinnydude

You are very lucky,,,,, there are not many people left to help people like that. there are a few but not many . thanks

5. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

thumbs up for cliffy ..glad to hear theres some nice folk around

6. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Without the HAMB you could have lost out. You might want to join the HAMB as a Alliance Member. What's $50.00 to keep the HAMB a viable entity. Just my 2 cents

7. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

Cliffy is a great guy, but I've never heard anyone call him an "angel' before! :)

Good job Cliffy! Good karma has a way of making it's way back to you.

8. Glad to hear you finally got your cab, I am very sorry that I was not able to get a transport close enough to help you out. As far as Uship goes... Watch Shipping Wars one time & you will understand why it should only be used as last resort. Always start with the 3 quality transporters here on the Hamb. The Hamb O Dex is the only place to take care of your transport needs.

9. Yamagrant

Yamagrant

ATTA BOY! Cliff.;)

10. This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are some Hambers that are willing be do whatever it takes to help a fellow member out in a bad situation.

My hat is off to Cliffy..you sir deserve all the accolades you receive.

Thank you,HRP

[​IMG]

11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I am sure the original hauler had his own reasons (right or wrong) for not communicating with the OP. But the fact is, he wasn't out to steal the goods and resell them, as so many on the HAMB were quick to assume.

12. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

the HAMBERs are always there to help or pay it forward in some way...and happy endings are a good thing.

13. This might be true, but there is no reason in the world (other than being dead) that you cannot let the customer know what is going on. In the 30 years I have been transporting, I have been blessed to only have a few problems on the road & the second call was always to the customer(first being the towing co.) to let them know what was going on & I followed up almost every day until the transport was completed.

14. little t

little t

thumbs up to you cliffy

15. More often than not you and I disagree,but lets face facts,Had the OP not sought out the help of his fellow Hamb members he might have never seen his property again..

As far as right or wrong making a simple phone call and offering some sort of explanation would have been the right thing to do.

One thing for sure is the guy is unreliable & untrustworthy. HRP

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  16. It's actually 50 miles one way not 30 and half way up there and back was on glare ice roads. Piece of cake! I saw five major pileups on the way back including a cement mixer that rolled pretty good and at least a six car crash just when I got back to Oshkosh. I guess they had over 40 accidents that night here in town.
    Took me all week to get my diesels running as neither had good plug ins and we had negative temps all week. I wanted to go last Monday but I fought frozen pipes and non starting vehicles all week! Not the most fun week I've had.

I actually took my small trailer behind my vw golf diesel instead of my truck. Almost regretted that decision but the abs brakes were nice when I slid a few times.

Anyway, the guy did have a broke down truck and because of the economy his shipping income had decreased to the point he lost his house and was pretty broke. I don't think he had intentions of stealing it from the looks of things. He had moved it from his foreclosed house and could have easily left it there or sold it. He is guilty of poor communication more than anything.

He lived just up the top of the hill from where we hold the shakedown and I'm confident that my involvement up there is the reason we got it back. Nobody up there wants to be in bad standing with the Symco UTC or the Symco Shakedown as it is such a major part of that community. I had some help from a few friends up there to track him down and I found him on Facebook actually. After some sweet talking I got him to respond to messages. He kept in contact with me all week until I was able to get up there.

It was nice meeting the two of you and hope to run into you again in the future....in a finished 1933 ford pickup of course!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. econolineherb

econolineherb

glad everything is ok . Still having trouble with uship . pay in full . Now wants more because we're not a business . No dock or fork lift he said .

18. big creep

big creep

Wow a great ending! Way to go cliffy.

19. chevyburb

chevyburb

Sounds like a horrible experience with uship, BUT I had 2 great experiences with their service. I guess it has more to do with the shippers on the uship network that the company itself. As I understand it, it's more like a clearing house that shippers have access to. I'm sure that shipper just got his name crossed off the referral list.

20. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great ending. So glad you got it back and Cliffy you are a good person.

21. This is the main reason to use Hamb shippers,,they ALWAYS come through. HRP

22. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Way to go Cliffy...

23. flatcat

flatcat

Glad it all worked out. The hauler was probably scared. Atta boy Cliffy. Nice to see guys step up when help is needed.

24. Sure is nice to hear there are still some good folks out there.

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

I say do that ^^^ and pay for Cliffy's Alliance membership for 4 years!!

Glad you got it back!!

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

90% of the worlds problems stem from either not communicating or communicating poorly.

27. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I've been wondering how this played out. Thanks to flip for posting an update and kudos to cliffy for going above and beyond to help a brother out! Man, what a story that truck is going to have attached to it!

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm constantly amazed of the HAMB members that will step forward and help out a complete stranger. I've been helped before and have helped others when I could. I don't know how it works, but it does. This is an outstanding community, one that I'm proud to be a member of!