Register now to get rid of these ads!

registering a car in SOCAL. no paperwork.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Jan 14, 2014.

1. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I bought a 52 Buick from a friend here. All I recived was a typed bill of sale, no signature. The other paper work I got with it serves me no good. The car came from Alaska so according to this mornings phone call will only make it harder for me.
    by the way!, It was last registered in 7/18/57.I could probably get a CA dmv bill of sale if needed. ;)
    My threath is asking for peoples advice here in CA who have had a similar dealing as mine.
    I have walked in to the dmv in the past with only a dmv bill of sale with no problems, but things do change.

2. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

I would highly recommend going to AAA, their so cal branch does vehicle transfers and vin verification so on. If you don't have them it might be worth the $57 for the base membership. I also recommend having a peace officer friend on stand by for any vin verification you might end up needing, don't use dmv's people or chp at DMV if you can help it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. i would call danya at lugano enterprises in pomona. 626 255 7589

she'll come over, verify the vin, do the paperwprk and then magically appear with registration, plates ans a title in the mail.

worth every penny.

4. txturbo

txturbo

Wow....she sounds dreamy. :D

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I do a lien sale.

6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

How does the lien sale work?

7. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Do they also do YOM plates?

8. 32bizcoupe

32bizcoupe

Just fill out a lost pink slip paper work. Piece of cake. Don't mention Alaska. It's out of any system anyway.

9. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I like this one!. My concern is me beeing old enough for this. I'm 32, does this give me enought time to have bought it when I was 18; would it have cleared the CA system by now?

10. 327Eric

327Eric

As said above, do not mention Alaska, or give any info not asked for. Dealing with the California DMV is actually pretty straightforward, and a registration like this is pretty easy. A bill of sale from your friend, a vin inspection, statement of facts, power of attorney, and application for new registration. owners previous to your friend are irrelevant to the DMV if there is no legal paperwork in the system. The biggest problem is going to be the staff you deal with, not knowing the rules, or just general incompetance. These are not common transactions for them to deal with.
    I once registered a truck with a bill of sale written on the back of a business card, so I have been down this road a time or two.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

It used to be Seven years, but why purjur yourself when you don't have to.

12. just call danya. she knows how to navigate the system.

if you get just one dingbat at the DMV who doesn't know all the technicalities or even worse, one who thinks they do, your registration process can get all mucked up REAL quick.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yeah, as Mitch said " all mucked up REAL quick '' and real expensive !:eek:

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed ''

14. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I will ring her up once I get a pair of 51 YOM plates with apropiate tags. Im in San Bernardino and sure i might get a person like the above mentioned. DMV leaves me podering at times as to if they just hire any idiot of the street and straight to work they go????? :/

15. Bingo! Did similar. Just filled out a statement of facts that this old truck was found abandoned on property that I bought. It was out of the system. Filled it out at DMV, got paperwork. Easy deal.

No bill of sale, no nuffin!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  16. I've done it a number of times. It won't be in CA's system because it was never registered here. That's good. Tell them it was a car you bought when you were 12 or 13 to fix up, but it was too much for a kid. Now you want to register it. Tell them you put the plates and all the paperwork in an envelope for safekeeping. Somehow, it became lost. It has sat in your mom's backyard since it quit running 20 years ago. They will give you a few pieces of paperwork to fill out and you will need a VIN check from the CHP. They used to ask who you bought the car from. If they still do, pick someone who is dead.
    Oh yeah, don't mention Alaska

17. fleet_47

fleet_47
    from N/A

I'm in the same situation, do I not mention to Danya that the car is from out of state, or does that not matter to Danya?

18. This sounds too good to be true! But from a previous transaction with you I take your word for it. My 56 hasn't been registered since about 06 and ib swore that I had put it on non op....well years ago I got a letter in the mail stating I owe $600. I'm not paying that. Si would this be clear out of the system now?

19. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I've read that as long as the vehicles vin wasn't looked up within a 7 yr span it be erased. Its not till the vin is looked up that it starts the countdown again.

20. So if i havent heard anything from the dmv I should be good? The only thing I have done was go to AAA and run the license plate number.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You're in luck. Check out these sections on the DMV web site: 4604; 4604.2; 5004 and 5051.

The short version: vehicles 25 years old or older and owned for hobby purposes of historical preservation and/or public display are exempt from PNO requirements and by way of that exempt from all back registration and penalties. If you are transferring a vehicle that meets these requirements you only have to pay the current year's registration fees. Nobody at your local DMV office will know about this exemption until you educate them. I always print out the above sections from the DMV web site and highlight the relevant paragraphs to make it easy. Also bring a very patient attitude as many DMV clerks must go through all three stages of the Hegelian dialectic before they will extinguish the back reg & penalties and things can get a little ugly during the antithesis stage. It also seems to piss them off that you know more about the Vehicle Code and DMV procedure than they do, but stay cool and continue to press your case calmly. They may try to tell you that this only applies if you have Historic Vehicle plates or it only applies to "parade vehicles", but this is not the case. ANY collector vehicle 25 years old or older is exempt.

22. 327Eric

327Eric

Put these sections of the vehicle code onto your statement of facts form. The DMV will not volunteer any info, and will argue with you about it. It is hard to dispute the facts, but they will try, and often succeed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  23. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Hi Buick! Fellow Berdoo guy! I highly recommend using "Donna Leak" registration services. She is in nortern California. I used her for out of state registration with circumstances very similar to yours. All done easily by mail. She makes all the problems go away---well worth it! I heard about her right here on the HAMB. She's the best!
    Donna Leak (530) 320-5708

24. Don't deal with the DMV. The people that work there could care less if your car gets registered or not, and they'll make the process as difficult as possible. After dealing with every idiot out there, they treat everyone with the same distain and attitude, even if you're polite to them. Plus, the DMV in California is nothing but a money grab for the state, and you'll pay fees and fines that are absolutely absurd and unnecessary.

As mentioned many times in this thread, go with a registration service. Most of these people are ladies who used to work at the DMV, and believe me, they know the system inside and out, and they WANT to help you. They will make "suggestions" that will save you a bunch of money and time, something that a DMV worker would never do. The person that all of the hot rod guys in our area use is awesome. Her husband used to own a wrecking yard, and believe me, she knows exactly what is needed to get a derelict car back into the system.

Karen's Kar Klearing Services
    17096 Sequoia Ave, Hesperia, CA 92345
    (760) 948-1698

25. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I did went.thru the same.with my Buick. I used Jullenn. 661~350~4377
    She comes to your house and does the verification stuff. And does all the paperwork for you. I woukd get the old plates first so you can do everything all at once.
    She has an old truck so she understands old cars

26. I have used her before as well. Can recommend.
    I have since learned how to navigate the DMV, but I'm up for that!

27. I wouldn't mind doing this but then it regulates how much you can drive your can and you have to have it garaged and have "classic car insurance" correct?

Alaso I wouldn't mind having one of those ladies come check out the car to have them do the paperwork but the car is about an hour and a half away from me at a buddys house in a million pieces. I stopped working on it due to "owed" penalties.

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No, nothing to do with any of that.

29. What would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do in my position? I don't want to get stuck paying all the back fees. What I forgot to mention is that its been in my name the whole time, also that I have lost the title.

30. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Sorry, correct spelling---Donna Leek :eek: