Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Continental Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by josh highley, Feb 24, 2013.

1. barry2952

barry2952

Find me a body. I'll put it on my Flyer chassis.

I'm kicking myself a little for not grabbing this car, but the starting point would have been too high.

2. josh highley

josh highley

Thanks for all the positive comments! I really do appreciate it!

Barry - I will keeping an eye out for a body. I would love the chance to re-create one. It would be an awesome project.

3. parrot

parrot
    from Colorado

This has been a really interesting thread from which to learn about Continental automobiles. I'm not a big fan of chops even though I drive one (because it was in progress when I found the body, even though it took a lot of work to fix someone else's mistakes) but Josh you've done a magnificent job of proportioning and metal work. Cudos! Looking forward to seeing this one at an outdoor show in the future.

Now to really disturb some of the purists; I also look at these neat old cars as having been potential for early day roundy round cars (not sure the Continental engine would have been competitive though), or as a sixties era gas coupe. The short wheelbase and vehicle size would compliment both.

Concerning thoughts of whether or not there really was a Willys roadster, a Model 77 roadster is shown in an early '50s Hot Rod magazine with a story on early thirties stock car racing.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

As if that wasn't enough, there was an Imperia car made in Belgium, to add to the confusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperia_(car)
    [​IMG]
    1938 Imperia

5. motorcarltd

motorcarltd
    from Butte MT

A 33 34 beacon or flyer just sold at auction here in Montana. The guy that bought it lives in Townsend MT and deals in old cars. Go to barnauctions.com and down to the automobiles and accessory section it is between a 53 buick and a 1937 Hudson. It has a cut frame no deck lid and the round Hayes body tag on the lower passenger side cowl. It is aslo bolted to a a gm frame. A really bad old school hot rod attempt.

6. alsancle

alsancle

Here is the picture.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  7. josh highley

josh highley

Does anyone know how much it sold for???

8. Back around about 2002, I went to the Swap Meet in Fredericksburg, Tx. This is the town that Admiral Nimitz Supreme
    Naval Commander of the Pacific Fleet of WWII. There a Great Swap Meet every Year. A 1933 Continental 5-W Coupe, all Stock Original I-4 Cylinder
    Engine.with Stock Wire Wheels, Gauges & Original Interior Seats. It was
    Loaded on a 16 Ft Flat Bed Trailer For Sale. There was A Local Area Code #. I
    Tried all afternoon, but got no answer. I
    Guessed that everyone at the meet wanted to buy it. I hear rumors that it Sold. The Story I got was it was Purchased from the Original Owner by a
    College Student in the late 1950's & he
    Eloped & married in this Coupe. That he
    Kept the Car, as they had a Personnel
    Memories of their Youth. And they decided to Sell at the Swap Meet. Later,
    That Summer, it Showed up at the OKCITY S/W Nats. The guy that Bought
    Was from OKLa. If I REMEBER Correctly.& the purchase Price was $2500-3500. Dirt Cheap for that Coupe!
    I hope that this is Correct, as it's been 10 plus years. Somewhere, I coupe have Pics of it? Does anyone Else have
    Any Memories of this Continental Coupe. BigDTexasKid

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

beautiful metal work.

10. josh highley

josh highley

I thought you guys might like to see how the car is coming along. The car made it's public debut this past weekend at Cincinnati's Cavalcade of Customs. All the work is being performed by another shop ( DADZ Motor Co ) Here are a couple pics enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. That thing looks Killer !

12. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Love it! A hemified 5 window with suicide doors. Could it possibly get any better than that?

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

14. Jason455

Jason455

Looks awesome with the new cowl. I don't think I've seen a 33 Lincoln in real life. Nice.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. davo461

davo461

And very nice too!!!

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

It's not a 33 Lincoln. It's a 33 Continental. Two totally different cars.

17. josh highley

josh highley

I was just sent some photos of the car nearly finished. Wow is all I can say! It is debuting at the Detroit Autorama this weekend. If you are going make sure to check it out in the Basement. The owner has not seen it all together yet, so I can't post any shots until he does.

18. TomH

TomH

Can you post the photos now? ;)

19. Found this today...

Attached Files:

Flipper, kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

That is BEAUTIFUL! Diggin the grille and the big headlights, and the....Hell the whole package is pure eye candy.

21. josh highley

josh highley

Here a couple shots of the car from Detroit. The last one is the owner Joe DeBord. He was speechless.

Attached Files:

22. josh highley

josh highley

I want to make sure credit is given where credit is due. All I did was the chop, channel and a little bit of metal work here and there. Dave Potts from Leadfoot Speed Shop reshaped the cowl section and did the paint and body work. And Zac Zipperian from Dadz Motor CO did everything else. I am extremely proud to say I had a small hand in this one. I think it turned out killer and hope everyone enjoyed the pics so far!

23. Your too modest ! I like the photo of the owner, you can almost see him re-living his youth.

24. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

WOW, that's fantastic!

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's a Damn Good Looking Orphan Car!!!!! It so reminds me of my Hupp W417 Coupe.
    I'm glad that this car is on here, as it shows that many options are available.
    Everyone that contributed to this build deserves an attaboy! What a homerun!!!!!!
    It would've been great to see Milner cruise Petaluma Bl. in that Continental with Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids playing in the background. ;).

26. Cover of this months Street Rodder magazine. Cool car!!

Mick

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad to see this thread come back to the top. I just got my Street Rodder and going over the body work here again was just a treat. The chop is just amazing - probably should be in someone's text book! Gary

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

my favorite color

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I dug the car in bare metal, just got St. Rodder yesterday and now I reeeealy dig it in black.
    With that cool big radius I bet those rear wheel openings would be a hot seller in repop.

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OOPS--
    Forgot to mention; someone really needs to photoshop this car with Halibrand bigs&littles.