Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Street Rodder magazine Econoline P/U project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Nov 10, 2009.

1. How do I find it on youtube ?

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Can't wait to see it.....cool!

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

So glad it was restored to "as featured" condition. The owner totally gets it. I still have the magazine. Argus was still selling performance during the era; Petersen had thrown in the towel, muscle cars were dead. The street rod movement was just gaining speed, so this thing was a real departure. Love it.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. the flames I coud deal with, but that ugly interior would have to be changed.

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

A friend sent this phone pic yesterday

Attached Files:

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

WOW...Very Nice!

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Seeing this Dodge this weekend ruled! I had no idea about it's history but I kept coming back to look it over. Thanks for bringing it back, and to the show!

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Was stoked to see it this weekend. I'm guessing, even with the glorious orange shag, that it was never quite this nice when Tom built it!

9. 33Tudor

33Tudor

That thing had a crowd around it all weekend!! That's what really makes the long drives and the early wake-ups really worth it! That, and watching little boys and girls taking pictures of it with their camera phones!!:D Thanks for all the positive comments, these will be passed on to the owner, and I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad it got so many rave reviews, but did anyone get more pics?

And I'm also glad that it was brought back, instead of the "left as found" bullshit that gets done so often.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man it was cool to see it in person! As a kid in the early seventies I read the magazines it was featured in and built a somewhat close model of it. I remember being sadly disappointed when Popular Hot Roddings '34 pickup ate it alive at the strip in their big project pickup show down. I still remember the picture in either of the mags of a dipstick or a alt bracket or some such hanging out of the side wall of one of the slicks that ended the day.

Attached Files:

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As much as I liked it, having also followed the build, it was no surprise when the PHR truck beat it. I followed the PHR build as well and they just seemed more performance minded. That and a power to weight advantage in PHR's favor.

Did anyone get pics of the interior?

And that "fade away" paint job still sucks.

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I remember it originally had spoked Cragars all the way around and the back was lower.

14. 33Tudor

33Tudor

There's a photo in one of the magazines of when it was being built and it had slotted mags all around. The rear has air shocks, so the height can be adjusted.

15. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

One of the coolest magazine projects ever! I remember this one well!

16. JohnMilner

JohnMilner
    from California

Where's the Youtube links? :)

17. 33Tudor

33Tudor

It's not on youtube.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. VonWegener

VonWegener

I'm so happy this has been restored. Tom was a cool guy and being short and skinny allowed him to chop that thing and still have plenty of space.
    He painted all his cars himself and took great pride in that.

19. JohnMilner

JohnMilner
    from California

Are you sure about that? I'm not sure Tom ever really got that rat sorted-out and I really don't recall how wild Kelley's mouse was, but if both were running well I suspect the actual power/weight ratio would be in favor of the cabover.

Fully sorted out I would expect the cabover to easily be a sub-11:45 machine.

20. JohnMilner

JohnMilner
    from California

Is there any place on the web to see video of the cabover running? Thanks.