Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Ford Mainline rear end question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacKid, Jan 13, 2014.

1. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

So I'm currently putting together a 1953 Ford Mainline 2 door coupe for my girl...and I've run into the problem of the mechanics u-joint in the rear end...I swapped a chevy engine and trans into the car ( was going for cheap and reliable) and it's a turbo 350 automatic that I'm trying to have a driveshaft made for.. Does anybody know what driveshaft yoke will swap out with the original one so we can use a regular style u-joint instead of the mechanics joint that was in the car originally?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Dead end on that deal,those rears were used in 1949-56 Ford cars only so your best bet is an 8" rear from an early Mustang or Fairlane or Maverick also 1957-59 Ford 9" all will be the correct width for an almost bolt in swap,you might want to check out the pictures here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=42315 as the 8.8 Ranger rears can usually be found in Pic-A-Parts for $125-$175 and many are Posi any of those would be EZ to find a conversion U-joint for.

3. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

So even a yoke from say a 49 Merc wouldn't work? Or what about a yoke from a 48 Ford truck? I had one of those, and I know it used a regular u-joint...I find it hard to believe that Ford would have used a different differential spline for those years...swapping out the rear end isn't an option at this point as she gave me a shoestring budget and I've already completely rebuilt the brakes on the original rear end...

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Mercury and Ford pickup used Spicer (Dana) rear axles (Ford wagons also did), whereas the axle you have is of ford manufacturer and the critical yoke dimensions are likely different.

I believe there are conversion joints available that will serve your purposes. The ujoint "cross" is made to fit two different yokes.

5. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Well I guess we just have to find that mechanics joint then...which is what I originally planned on anyway...I would imagine that it's a bit more difficult to find...I know the guys at my driveshaft shop couldn't find one...but I would think that Kanter's gotta have 'em...

6. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Too funny...I just checked and Napa can get 'em...

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been down that road a long time ago and did find an interchangable yoke from a borg warner diff, just dont recall what it was in now...

Dont give up it will happen.
    If you do have one that fits it may mean that you could be looking for an odd sized seal to work with it.

If you do work it out post the result to help others into the future when it will be even harder to do...

8. Don't they call them bastard U joints? HRP

9. Brian_dlao22

Brian_dlao22

Just a random question but would a 2006 ford ranger rear end be a good swap for a 53 Mainline?

10. morac41

morac41

Hi done this lots of times you need a good bearing service that knows the part # for interchange...my local bearing service I been dealing with for 40 years has the best guys. and knowledge.of these parts.....

Brian_dlao22 likes this.
  11. Did you notice this thread is 5 years old? the OP has been MIA for the past two years. HRP

Brian_dlao22 likes this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Old thread but just for info some time in 52 ford changed rear end yokes.

13. Brian_dlao22

Brian_dlao22

Noticed after my post

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was looking for a rear end to swap into my '54 Ranch Wagon I found that the later '90's Ranger rear ends were wider than my stock rear end WMS to WMS of 57 1/16" If your '53 is like my '54 wider is not an option since removing the rear tires is a royal PITA. A mid '80's Ranger rear end is narrower around 56 1/2" if I remember correctly. Narrower is better than wider IMO. Don't know if the mid '80's come in 8.8 but I found a 7.5 with a 3.73 posi. Not concerned about it not being the stronger 8.8 since I'm only running a stock 302 with an AOD. Not sure if I'm going to make the change or not.

15. Brian_dlao22

Brian_dlao22

Ok awesome appreciate the info. I’ll be running a 292 y block once I complete The swap

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 7.5 Ranger rear end I located had smaller brakes than the wider 8.8 I also found BUT the bigger 8.8 brake assembly is a direct swap for the 8.8 brake assembly. Even the brake lines bolted up.

17. Brian_dlao22

Brian_dlao22

Is there a specific place you went to get the work done or you did It yourself?

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple unbolt the small brake assembly and bolt on the larger brakes. Easy to do yourself. Nothing to it.