Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Dodge barn find old hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lazlobassett, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, here I go again. This time it is a old Dodge. Story goes it was built by a kid in the 50's. Buick 264 nailhead, ford 3 3spd top loader, ford 9" rear.
    Ran and driven, then the fella got invited to see the far east by Uncle Sammy ( Korea?) . As soon as he departed his father put it out on the lawn for sale. The neighbor bought it promptly and put it away until the fella got home again, gave it back to him and he kept it until recently when he passed...

Now it's my Dodge.

Runs and drives, well, for the most part. I drove 24 hours to fetch n bring it home, then left in my ratty barn '59 corvette for xmas dinner for florida....1000 miles away. That went really fantastically well.
    Now I'm home and have way too much on my plate but what a fine plate O stuff it is!

Loving life!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Nice! Love the grill, looks way better than my 36

3. hoodprop

hoodprop

Cool find. Would love to to see more pics of that vette. One of my dream cars. Have fun with the new ride.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Looking for headlight lenses, hood ornament/radiator cap and wheels.
    guy here advertised the cap and wheels but won't respond to Pm's about buying them...

Attached Files:

5. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

corvette is a '59, bone stock 283 4 spd, barn find. last on road in 91 before i got it.
    Got 17/18 mpg at 75/80 mph. did 3000 miles in 2 weeks. no big troubles.
    Driving that I met a lot of really awesome iconic people from the early days of hot rodding and racing. and some iconic antique motorcycle people.
    I run away from the holidays every year, just don't dig that. i always drove more modern cars because my evil girlfiend didn't like my old cars. Well she dumped me and I said fuck it, I'm going to drive what i want.
    I did and made a ton of awesome new friends and had the bestest time ever!

Happy days!

Attached Files:

6. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Daytone Beach! BTW

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

That sounds like a good way to spend the holidays!

8. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Nice score! Very cool car with a neat story to go with it.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car, neat story. If the mags that are on it now are for sale, let me know.

10. capt ronn

capt ronn

Great story, sometimes the story behind a car is as interesting as the car itself. My hat is off to the neighbor. Not so much for the dad.

11. The nailhead came out in 54 and the 9 inch Ford in 57. Korea was all over in mid 53. It looks more like a 60s, Vietnam era, build. Still, very nice car

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Those mags weren't on any car parked for Korea. Did you put them on after you got the car?

Frank

13. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Nope, IDk just repeating what I was told. The motor is a '54, that I know. I realize the wheels aren't 50's but they bolt on , been a bunch of years gone by since it was on the road. Plates say Ohio '69, title is ohio too. maybe it was 'Nam and the story is food adecade? seems likely as the motor would be from a new car if it was a early 50's build...

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

very cool---love the vette also

15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

very nice find!

16. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Jeez! The neighbor saved it?! That's fantastic...how many stories do we hear of young hot rodders going away only to have family members immediately sell or wreck their beloved ride? That neighbor deserves a medal. Killer car, good luck with it. JohnnyA

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are correct on the timeline of the components, but since the "kid" got the car back when he returned, and owned it thereafter, perhaps the car was unmodified when he left for Korea, and the mods done later, we'll after he returned.

Whatever the case, a VERY attractive car and I can only wish it were mine! :)

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When I was in the USCG (1967-71) a shipmate showed me pictures of his full custom 48 DeSoto coupe, it was beautiful. He said he chained it to a tree in the yard behind the house so it wouldn't be stolen or stripped before he got home to pick it up.
    A few weeks after we spoke about it he went home on leave to get the car. He decided he was going to stay in the Mobile area. His parents handed him and envelope with $350 in it, saying they sold the car after he left home on his after bootcamp visit before reporting to his first duty station.
    Sadly, he left the house after they told him and never spoke to them for years.

19. Paul B

Paul B

When I got drafted left my 67 Mustang at my granparents house,my dad was keeping the payments up for me but something happened. It got repoed. what a shock when I got home from boot camp. i got a loan and was able to get back.

20. silverdome

silverdome

Nice Car, Subscribed!

21. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So your the one who bought. I had it on my watch list for a while. I just love it but I didnt need a third project. What are the plans?

22. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Initially I am thinking for getting some things sorted out, new wiring harness, the clutch linkage is a bit funky, new tires etc. Then clean and drive.
    I'll try to post the barn pics of it and will get some of the motor install.
    I have some nailhead things laying around and did buy a couple more. Will probably use the old Offy 3X2 intake and add some finned valve covers and things.

It does run well and drive presently. Brakes are good.

I am thinking about the wheels, I'd like to get 36/7 original Mopar Artillery wheels or steelies with caps n rings.
    I have been polling my friends, blacks or wide whites?

23. I'm pretty good at figuring out misspellings and typos, but this has me stumped. What the hell is "food adecade"?:confused:

24. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

WOW!! Fantastic car!! I love the 33-34 mopars!! You are a very lucky person! Jim

25. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I believe I was thinking " maybe it was Nam and the story was off a decade"

Thanks Jim, I wasn't aware of these cars until this past summer when a Plymouth was up for publis auction at an estate sale in Pa. I didn't make the sale but saw pics and loved the car

26. Try here for lenses....http://www.oldcarlenses.com/index.html

What kind of wheels are you looking for? Originals?

27. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I'm thinking so, I like the 36/7 artillery wheels but not sure what size they are.
    Certainly open to suggestions there.

I do like the wheels it came with but not on this car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. gfr220

gfr220

I am putting on the wheels from Wheels Vintique for my 1935 Dodge pickup

29. So very nice!

30. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

GFR, have you gotten them yet? I looked at the catalog and thought I'd like to see the wheels in person before buying them.
    I'd like to see pics of yours if possible.

I have ordered lenses from Larry at Old Car lens.com