Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summit or other cheap paint success ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thirtytwo, Jan 12, 2014.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I am looking for a single stage poly paint .for a daily driver c-10 truck. I did a search and saw there was some success with summit base /clear .. But how is their single stage for shine and durability?

Please tell your story with their product or another product you have used as a cheaper alternative.. Good and bad

thanks!

2. indyjps

indyjps

3. Kirker...

It's been on my Deuce pickup since 2007.HRP

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

PPG makes some pretty good cheaper single stage paint. I personally do not trust Summits paint...

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I put some kirker brand urethane single stage on my tbird, it looks just as good as the paints I spray at work and being a urethane it will probably last just as long and the best part is I bought it for $89 a gallon on ebay and thats with hardener.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

I just did a hood & fender on an OT deer hit. Used NAPA's Crossfire single stage. It's Sherwin-Williams economy line I believe. I was surprised how good it came out. Shine was right up there, durability yet to be seen.

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

tcp global stuff worked for me. Been on a daily driver for about 4 years.

8. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Man, I used the summit base and wow did it cover great and it matchs damn well to there own stuff!!! You can beat there base coat with a baseball stick! I did however use matrix clear do to the fact I flatin the clear! Over all I trust and recommend summit paint line! Plus its all made in the USA!

9. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I have had good luck with the Summit brand single stage, sprays out and wet sands and buffs awesome. I use PPG primarily, but customer wanted a budget spray, worked very good for us. I have been going to more and more of the product line, the value and quality seem to work for us for some of the applications we have.

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Thanks guys ... Keep the info coming! :) its going to be solid white so I am going single stage as its my belief that clear coats just don't hold up in the harsh sun

also hoping for something that has a good shine and lays down well with out cutting and buffing

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

12. I did my 62's overall paint with NAPA's crossfire single stage. At the time two years ago it was about $140/gal. Only downside, generic reducer does not work well and one kinda have to use their reducer ($40/gal).

It has held up real well. I say good value for the money.

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

How's the gloss? What color? How's it holding up? Thanks

14. I've had good luck with these guys.... http://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/main.sc

Haven't painted a car, but I've shot several motorcycles with their single-stage paint and been very pleased with it. It's seemed to hold up well too, as least so far.

15. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

The car is my avatar, really glossy, really holding up well. Although it is base/clear. It is "fire mist orange", has a lot of goldish metalic in it. It really pops when out in the sun.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you're goin with white, be sure to use a light or white sealer before your first top coat. Coverage on most econo lines of paint isn't like the $600-$900 a gallon product!:D

For good flowout, without cutting & buffing, you'll need double wet passes with just alittle more reducer added, and good gun triggering to match. The down side of '' juicin' ''up a cheap single stage to get good flow is that it will kill the longevity of the paint job.:(

Look at Matrix brand of finishes here, in sOkAl, not bad value for your painting dollar!

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid ''

17. jazz1

jazz1

I shot a daily driver with Restoration Shop (TCP GLOBAL) Acrylic Urethane, excellent gloss and durability and still looks great 5 years later. I think the kit was $140 and it will stand up to a shopping cart collision as well as any $1000 kit

18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I painted my Model A pickup with PPG Shop Line single stage in 99 and it sits outside in the weather, still looks good. As you can see it is used as a truck, the paint has held up well except I have had a problem on the tailgate with it lifting but was a new tailgate and I blame it on my prep work. The rest of the truck is still shiny and holding up great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  19. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I have shot black and hugger orange in the Summit brand, if you facebook, look under Micky Hale restorations / North Coast Rods, 73 GTO and the Orange 69 Yenko Chevelle clone.

20. I did a job with the single stage stuff a year ago. I was impressed and it's holding up great.
    Hard to beat the price.

21. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Thanks for all the responses... Keep them coming ! I think I am leaning to the restoration shop stuff since the good reviews and they are in my back yard....

Here is another question for future referance... Does any of these places mentioned have a good "TRUE BLACK" .... 90% of any hotrod stuff I do is gloss black ... I have used different stuff .. With different degrees of success... I have had some products look really good until a bright day then it looks a little muddy

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

" True Black '' ...........bleu cast or muddy brown cast ? Best/true black I ever found was Sherwin Williams/ Martin Senor Black, as sold by NAPA. Probably NLA, but much cheaper than Glassiut or Sikkens, as used on old Mercedes & Porsche.

23. daddio211

daddio211

I can throw a BIG negative out for Summit's paint products as I saw it first hand.

My good pal Bernie was finishing up high end '32 3 window and bought Summit's BC/CC, gloss black paint. It went on nice, covered nice and looked great. For 3 days.

The paint began to develop a small bubble just below the rear window, similar to solvent pop. The more we looked at it, the more we realized the paint was still REALLY soft. Bernie stuck his finger in the bubble and gently pulled off a SHEET of black paint about 4" x 18".

Now I know there are a million reasons that this can happen but I will tell you that the paint was laid down by an experienced painter over a professionally prepped body. Summit's directions were followed PRECISELY.

Of course Summit is always good to work with, they offered to replace all of the materials free of charge but would not refund the purchase price. It's business, I get that. Their customer service was polite and professional but their paint products SUCK.

I know a few guys above have said that their experience was positive but my buddy's experience couldn't have been worse. All the paint came off the car and it had to be re-prepped, then painted with PPG. It's gorgeous now!

24. Guys all the Mfgs make a " cheap paint" today....and many of them private label for others selling " cheap paint" go to you local Jobber and ask for the following depending on what paint line they sell

PPG = Omni or Shopline
    Axalta aka DuPont = Nason
    BASF = Limco
    Sickens = Wanda or Utech
    Sherwin = I am not sure

If you buy local you can ask questions, get support, etc. if ya have an issue they have Tech Reps etc that you can contact. I know many folks do it, but why not go to a jobber, have them mix it, they can get ya more off the same formula if needed, and maybe have some other color options versus the " factory pack" colors sold by many mail order company's

25. Really a guy is doing a high end '32 and he decides to go with a economy line of paint to finish it off. Story sounds off right from the start. And being in the industry I can guarantee that every time a paint fails the painter followed the instructions PRECISELY. :rolleyes:

26. daddio211

daddio211

Yep, really. Want his phone number?

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Easy guys ... I am by no means a professional painter but something sounds like a freak accident on that one... I have run into issues before but In all of my cases something like that was usually something under the paint.. Not to say it wasn't something with the paint but something freak like that could probably happen with ppg or dupont also..

I have used , ppg, omni, Martin senior, DuPont,nason,duplicolor, valspar tractor paint, even rustolem( not lying)I know there can be a give and take with some of the cheaper products ... Just trying to find out info from some with experiences good and bad

28. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I'm using TCP restoration shop acrylic enamel, seems a bit chippy, but color and gloss awesome.

29. Have you noticed the chippy part getting any better or worse as it ages?

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Again... I'm not a professional an probably shouldn't comment but for me most acrylic enamels I have used acted the same ... DuPont centari seems to be pretty tough though ... Also I have noticed a durability difference with the enamel based on using different primers underneath .. Could be my imagination ... But I don't think so

The durability reason is why I wanted to go single stage urethane also