Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Adapter To Early Ford To S1O Tranny Adapter...HAS ANYONE DONE THIS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Jan 12, 2014.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

I have a early Dodge Hemi, with a Wilcap adapter to hook it to
    an early ford toploader 3spd....I have heard more then a few
    people say, you can add an adapter to the Wilcap,that is
    normally used on the stock flathead ford... to hook up a
    S10 5spd......HAS ANYONE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY !!!!
    or is it just a myth ????

Attached Files:

2. The only thing i would inquire about is if you use a pilot bearing extender. Im ot familiar with the early Dodge hemi adapters. But some use a spacer bearing since the input shaft isnt long enough to reach the crank with an trans adapter. You dont want this "long pilot bearing" to be too long or it gets unstable. The good thing is that the Chevy T5 input shaft is usually on the long side, so likely youll be ok. If the Dodge to Ford adapter doesnt call for a pilot extension(dont think it does) and i dont think the ford to T5 does either, you should be fine.

Im about to mate a early 331 Caddy that has a Ford adapter plate, to a S10 T5...pretty much same deal. Its a whole lot cheaper than the new Caddy adapters....

Which Ford to Chevy T5 are you looking at?

3. George

George

Why not just buy a Hemi to T5 adaptor & sell the one you don't need?

4. I was just reading about this the other day.
    Though it was interesting concept. Can't find it again though, surfed into it.

5. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Hans, actually, not serious right yet, so hadn't even thought about it...suggestions
    on some better then others ????

George....hadn't got that serious yet...main reason be cost and avail of older
    adapters

Thank you both for your input !!!!

6. I've used Wilcap and Pat does a great job, very nice to deal with and great customer service, but they are pretty expensive on some adapters compared to the ones you can get at Speedway, if they sell them. Most my experience is with oddball adapters which are more complicated which run up in the $7-900 range these days, but those usually include flywheels.
    I have some friends that have run the Speedway stuff with no issues, I assume they are made overseas and would just expect them to have the worst quality, but haven't heard this.
    I haven't gotten so far as to buy the adapter yet either as this build wont start for a year or so. I'll figure it out this spring.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!