Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to SoCal – HELP?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpnkyMcGee, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Hello gents.

I'm new to SoCal though not new to the HAMB. I moved down from Oregon in March of 2013 and left behind all of my great friends and builders. I started working on my 52 Ford F1 shortly before I left and now its sitting sadly in my garage.

Now I'm living in Glendora (just outside of LA) and would love to have a chance to meet some local car/truck guys. I'm a great set of hands for helping out but unfortunately I don't have the knowledge yet that I need to do some of the next steps of my build (c-notch, hanging new rear suspension, motor mount and motor placement) and I'd love to find some new friends that perhaps give advice and point me in the right directions. I don't want someone to build this for me. I want to be a part of it. :D

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Tim

2. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Welcome to socal! We are in the San Fernando Valley. About 40 miles away

3. jru73

jru73

Welcome from the Harbor Area!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. robH

robH

Welcome ! You are in the center of the universe, as far as car-stuff goes (JMO). You have Baldy View (Early Ford V8 club), next door, centered in Upland. There are rodder-type folks there. You have museums. (For starters, NHRA museum, Fairplex, Pomona.) You have Rick Barakat next door, based in Duarte and Bradbury. (Look up, Search, Eastwood Barakat, on this forum.) Pete Eastwood is in Pasadena. You have Pete Chapouris and gang at the SoCal Speed Shop in Pomona. Also, Waldren's in Pomona. Also, the Kennedy Boys in Pomona. Watch for car shows in Monrovia (look up Cal Rods), and at Irwindale. Check out Jon Roberts early Ford shop on Irwindale, couple signals below the 210. Early Ford Store (Bill McGrath) in San Dimas. Richard Lacy, Early V8 Garage, Jim Gordon, Fast Ford Parts store Rosemead, etc, etc. I could go on-n-on with a huge list of car guys & stuff, but if you get yourself involved, you will find your own 'network'.
    If looking for ideas for a 52 F1, I think the first places I would visit would be SoCal Speed, Kennedy Bros, and Waldren's. For parts, Bill McGrath, Jim Gordon. And, Jon Roberts, just because he's close, and sometimes has a fun project going.
    All, JMO Best Wishes, and good luck.

PS... I'd highly recommend that you try and make the Horseless Carriage Club Holiday Motor Excursion, normally held the Sunday between Christmas and New Year (12-29). The start is the first place 'to be', if like last year, at Irwindale Speedway. Be there early.
    A few years ago, when the start was at a PCC extension, they charged 5 bucks for parking. And, we referred to the event as the best five-dollar car show, any place, any time. You will get to see more cars, and meet more gear-heads, than almost anywhere. There is even a well-known 'celebrity' that usually shows up - great camera opportunity, but also, just a great all-around gear-head to talk cars with. He usually brings something very 'interesting' - something out of reach for almost all of us, very expensive, very old, nearly unobtanium. (Sometimes he is seen on late-nite TV.)
    Google Holiday Motor Excursion Pasadena, Horseless Carriage Club. I just looked - nothing there yet for this year. Look again, mid Dec.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

5. Thanks guys! I need to get out and meet more people. I own a business so it's taking up a lot of my time as I complete the transition. I appreciate the ideas and I'll be out and about more in the next while.

You'll probably see me out with my camera as I love photographing beautiful cars. (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840963) If you see me wit my old film cameras stop and say hello. :)

Tim

6. Welcome! Im in San Bernardino. The mountains to be specific.

7. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

8. I'm also new to the south, Playa Del Rey. No garages here in The Jungle so it's a challenge to get time to work on non daily drivers. The weather works though, so get after it. check out the Auto Driving Museum in El Segundo, nice guys

9. toml24

toml24

Please check out the Donut Derelicts Car show in Huntington Beach every Saturday morning from 5:30-8:30am. 250 vintage and classic cars and trucks. It's the best FREE car show on the West coast.