Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

More proto-punk...But we should probably stop, this is rapidly spinning out of control...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hW9cCWm53H4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Agreed. But you guys perception of "punk" is....... interesting.:D

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I'm looking at more in terms of punks roots, bands that influenced the early punk sound, rather than bands that were actually called "Punk". By the time a label has been stuck on something, its usually already almost run its course.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Spinning out of control.:D

5. Yep.......:D:D

6. johnod

johnod

Right, I agree which is why I said Godfathers of punk.

Don't know who deserves that title more than Iggy and the MC5.:)

7. johnod

johnod

8. It was interesting that when Louvers posted the first link to Link Wray, what caught my eye was the links to John Cippolina. This guy could be uneven in live performances, but when he was 'on', his shimmering guitar sounded like nobody else's...

I think everyone best remembers the music of their 'youth', which I define as that period when you had the most 'adult' fun with the least regard for the consequences..... :D

9. johnod

johnod

Like a hit of fresh air.

10. Well said, and 100% true!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Widely accepted? All I've ever heard is arguments. The New York Dolls and The Sex Pistols always seem to be a big argument over who started what.

Either way it all comes from something older. Everything does.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Back to T Buckets - Chip, thanks for the fuel vents - they arrived yesterday! I am anxious to get my fuel cap set up the same as yours. I still don't have a tank so have to source that yet but it's another step.

Steve

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn! They MUST have sent them carrier turtle...

14. endlessearth

endlessearth

This thread has definitely taken some interesting twists and turns. Very informative. definitely one of the best on the site.

15. Went to the Burger run in Vista today. Saw a gorgeous black T bucket with a spinner on his gas tank like yours but he was using a old dummy bomb for a fuel tank.

16. On Thursday I received a set of 4 knockoff spinners that I had scored on "the auction site" that I plan to convert to fuel caps if anyone else is interested - these were Raceline Wheels spinners - different than the unmachined Alcoa forgings I started with last time but nice none the less.

Steve

17. Dogsled...

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I had thought that I had bought a couple extra of the smaller vents as I first used on cap, but when I went out into the unholy mess that is my shop I couldn't find them. The Parker store only had the larger type that I sent you, and because I was opening my tank to fill and getting a bit of a vacuum "whoosh", I too have now gone to the larger size. Careful when you run them in though, 'cause they are a bit softer than I expected and the first one scarred pretty badly.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey!!!! Just noticed that this is post number 2000!!!! Damn gang!!! There is more to come in the near future, I'm not even close to done with this thing yet. I just have to have some time for me. Soon, I promise...

20. So were staring on the plymouth?

21. Chip here are the tires you need!!!

[​IMG]

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Abso-freakin'-lutely! That's what I started with on this deal, but they turned out to be bad after ten years of sitting around reality ranch here. I've been too damned broke to call Cody up at Hurst and have him make another pair. Soon though, soon.

23. Chip, will you run grooved cheater style or just ungrooved piecrusts?

Steve

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll run grooved Piecrusts. The cool thing about Hurst is you just tell Cody what you want and he will cut it for you.
    But definitely for me, cheater grooves. It doesn't rain real often around here, but when it does, watch out! I have been caught out in that several time in life, and even though cheater grooves in slick is still far from optimal, it's a hell of a lot less scary than straight slicks in a Phoenix down pour, 'cause I have been stuck in both positions before!

This thread has gone on so long now that I think some of the guys following have for gotten that the Halibrands and dirts are just on loan from my long neglected '29 roadster pickup project. The original set of wheels and tires and the first bit of ugly fixed on this car was my set of Americans and Hurst cheaters. The only problem was the ten year lay-off wasn't good with the slicks so one decide to not be a tire anymore, just sort of a semi round misshapen donut kinda thing... Soon, money will be better and I'll make that call to Cody, and the Americans will re-appear as if by magic!

Attached Files:

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Chip,
    The bucket looks good either way (I personally like the Halibrands, but I know they're reserved for bigger/better things). What are your thoughts regarding traction on the cheater slicks? I've got a pair of Hurst cheaters on my T, but I haven't fired it up or driven it yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I have noticed when I push the car into/out of the garage that they like to pick up rocks and such, so they "appear" sticky... Anyway, I guess if you're looking to buy another pair then that's a good sign!

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have sold lot's of Hurst cheater slicks to area guys for their hot rods. Cody and Steve build one hell of a product as far as I'm concerned. I know there is a thread on here calling their business practices into question, but if you read through it, it seems that most have never bothered to simply call Hurst and let them know there is a problem. I have never quite understood that though process, and you'll note that several times in that thread I ask just that, then the problem is magically sovled ! I have 6 or seven cars running them around the area, and even in a recaps worst nightmare, 120 degrees, have never had one come apart or give any sign of trouble. Mine simply expired from being ten years old - nothing more, nothing less. Traction is very good with these, and the ride is as nice as one would expect something like this type of tire to be. All in all, for appearance and quality, they are hard to beat.

27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thanks for the response. When I purchased my pair, I was able to check out their shop as they're not far from me. It was a great experience that I really enjoyed. I had no problems wit them on the business end, either- so that made me happy. One more question: How do you like the Firestone's you're running around on now? How is the traction and ride quality with those? I'm considering a big n' little set of Firestone's for my next build, but was hoping for a comparison to the Hurst's.

28. jalopy45

jalopy45

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Here is a story that I really haven't told about Hurst and their products, simply because if I told it in the context of the threads that have popped up it would be taken wrong or twisted around to mean ANYTHING but what I want it to.

Back in mid 2003 or so, I bought a pair of Hurst cheater slicks through Speedway. I had just heard at the time that Ron Hurst had just sold the company, and it was moving so it might take a bit of time to get things up and moving and get my tires out to me. This was an ongoing project so no big deal. A couple months passed, and my tires arrived on my doorstep. In looking at them, the joint between the recap and the casing was kinda uneven and nasty, but not totally unacceptable. Just kinda what I "expected"...

Now, unbeknownst to me, at this time Hurst company was going through some serious tumultuous times, as the sale from Mr. Hurst to this new owner was one of several for this "new owner" who was seriously over extended, and as it turns out, not very well versed in tire remanufacturing, or keeping any type of time line promises! I had heard the company was repossed and feelings were hurt all around, and that I was lucky to get the pair that I did 'cause it looked like Hurst was done.

Fast forward to September of 2005, and I am in the Plymouth working the summer in my sales job up in Washington state, and I stopped at the "Unfinished Nationals" outside of Aberdeen WA. Low and behold there is a large display of Hurst tires at this meet, and a young Cody and his dad Steve tending the booth. In talking to the two of them and looking at current product that they were showing, I could feel the excitement of this new venture for them, and I told them that quality of the tire they had there was several notches above my pair at home. Cody explained to me about what had happened with the company the year and a half prior, and they had just bought the company (and actually paid for it!), and without skipping a beat said - "Well, if they are branded "HURST", just send them back and I will make you a new pair right away!" that was with no prompting, no hysterics, no yelling, no threats... Simple, good business.

I honestly never took him up on that offer, because having been in business myself with a start up and struggling to get a foothold, I never thought it okay to make them stand good on a product someone else took the money for. It's just part of my "code" if you will, and the problem with my tires was cosmetic, not structural. But damn, to not even flinch at making something with their name on it "good" even if it was made BEFORE it was their name on it, well, that I don't easily forget!

I doubt Cody could pick me out of a police line up if he had to, and we only talk a few times a year when I call and order more tires for customer stuff, but he and Steve are the class act in doing this stuff, and if my customer's stuff is any indication, their recaps are about as close to un-bustable as it gets.