Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hemi questions. 334,354,392 how to Id.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Jan 11, 2014.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I need some info quick I stumbled into a whole pile of hemi engines and parts guy says they are 354 and 392s three have the long hogs head and one has the short one they are all complete plus a storage unit full of spare cranks heads and intakes and cams plus one built 392 with 354 heads and a dual quad intake. I need to know what I'm looking at before I make a decision on them thanks
    will

2. luke13

luke13

there is no decision! just buy them, an dont be picky . who cares if it dont match or its not a 354 just buy the shed load and dont question it. you can work out what they are once theyre safley in your shed.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why does everyone else on here run across early hemis stacked up like cordwood? Do I need to sacrifice some sbc's to the gods or something?

4. chromeazone

chromeazone

Easiest way to ID a 392 is to look at the water outlet at the front of the head. If you can place your thumb on the head above the outlet and under the valve cover it is a 92. 354's & 331s space is too narrow to get a thumb in there.
    Just buy them! There is always a market for them if you have a reliable cherry picker and a strong enough back to hump them around.
    Lifted a complete HEMI head lately??

5. What are you calling the "hogs head" ?

If that's the bell housing mount, the long ones are early 331s not worthless but no where near a 392 block.

Heads, easiest quickest way is to separate water out let vs no water outlets.
    The water outlets will be latter big ports 331,354,392. Then do the thumb test on that pile.
    The no water outlets will be the early 331, some industrial and with lugs are truck.

The cranks are trickier,

Numbers off all this stuff is the best way.

I'd buy the pile on weight, if its more you need to know what you have and if it fucked up

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. George

George

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118764&highlight=hemi+tech+index Hemi Tech Index.

You need a copy of the Use Codes stamped on a flat in front of the valley cover. If any have the intakes off you need to have a list of block casting numbers. As was said, if it has the extended tail it's an early 331 & worth nothing close to 392 money. There's also short tail 331s & 354s in car, truck and other configurations. 392 hemis often aren't 392s & sometimes aren't even hemis(361 wedge for instance being called a hemi by an igno). Truck heads are solid front also, but look for oval ex ports in any solid front head.

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It is all scrap until proven otherwise. Here is 6200 pounds of early hemi scrap, probably on its way to China by now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. luke13

luke13

i was happy today till i saw that.

9. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

All of the engines are out of cars have everything with them and have trannys on them and are all together and not stuck. There are several sets of heads that I'm sure are 354 and 392 plus lots of various intakes and cranks and cams its a storage unit full of stuff he wants a chunk of change for the pile and I'm don't want to overbuy a bunch of obsolete mopar parts

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The only way not to over pay is to ID each and every part, and have it cleaned and magged, or pay scrap price. A $500.00 392 crankshaft might seem like a deal at $100...unless it is cracked. Then you have lost $96.00 and change, plus your time.

IMO, the trans are worth scrap. Any 2bbl intake is scrap. Unless its a Desoto or Dodge cam core.. scrap. Truck heads.. scrap.

Not trying to rain on your parade. I just know from experience that "everything early hemi is worth buying" is absolutely not true, especially if you are unsure of what you are buying.

If you have specific part numbers that you need ID'd, post them here or email me.

11. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I'm for sure going to look them over real good I know the hot rod hemi is legit but its the old piles of shit I'm worried about I have zero need but the hot rodder in me craves owning a 392 hemi .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

13. Ghostrider1

Ghostrider1

Not all of the trans are scrap. There are a few of that lust after the crappy three speed with overdrive! ESP a real v8 version!

14. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

X2

So many projects..so little time

15. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

What are the 354/331 worth other than scrap I've got a hard number for the 392 hot rod engine I've already took it and have it in the classifieds now plus I bought the complete hilborn injection for a 392 I just need to get an idea on the other stuff ill look up the weights on them and offer scrap I guess I'd post a pic but the ol android phone is doing that thing again where it won't post pics

16. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Reloaded the app got it to work

Attached Files:

17. Like Tom said earlier, until proven otherwise its scrap.
    The reality is the parts need cleaned, measured, inspected, pressure tested, and magged to prove other wise. That ain't free my friend and its easy to get quite a few bucks into the trash hopper. The documentation adds value to good parts, but who's paying for it? It's a tough deal to make and easier to let someone else loose money.

You're selling your craving ?

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Thinking the craving for Benjamins is greater than the craving to keep. Unless there is another 392 in the mix.
    I too have heard the "anything old hemi is worth buying." Scrapped a bunch of Dodge,Desoto and 331/354 Chryslers that were stuck or rotted terribly.
    Once the only really sellable items are removed the remains have a hard time finding new homes.

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Had an early Dodge 241 that was pretty bad, ready to scrap it. Broke it down (stuck) the camshaft was pristine and the rockers were good. Sold them.

Ago