Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Is it safe to post pictures of Foreign cars?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember when Northrop Aircraft developed a rocket sled into a water barrier to test DE-Celleration effects on Col.John Stapp??

3. Heo2

Heo2

A Mercury pickup??in front of the race pickup

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing pictures from that, major face deformation during both acceleration and deceleration and massive walls of water as the sled hit the water!
    I have a vague recollection, wasn't Stapp a doctor?

Doc.

EDIT. I knew I knew that name!! John Stapp, pioneer in high altitude parachuting!! Now it all comes back, I read about him while I was at the Army Parachute School.
    It all blended together there for a while, I remembered the rocket sled and the name but from different places. I didn't know Stapp was a part of the NA experiments.
    What a hell of a man!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was just at Wally Mart yesterday and held in my hand a aerosol can of NEW CAR SMELL made by "Little Tree" brand

6. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

The widget perched on the left headlight is a German army blackout headlamp.

7. I bought a can of stuff called same, several years ago. I don't know who made it, I probably still have it someplace in a box. But it didn't come close to how I remember Dad and Mom's brand new 1960 Ford smelled when they brought it home.

8. Actually, I found that pic on the Library of Congress website a year or so ago. Seems there were several shots of that incident, will see if I can re-find them.

9. XERB

XERB

Now that's one cool old photo...

10. 296ardun

296ardun

I would say absolutely! Especially if they are Fiat Topolinos!...and besides, they are not foreign cars to many HAMB'ers who live in Euope or elsewhere!

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Doc is right, not very successful as a fighter...but the Army Air Corps apparently had high expectations for it....my father was at Muroc Army Air Field during WWII and the Air Corps kept the plane in a well-guarded hanger with a sign that read "Anyone approaching within 50 feet of this building will be shot!" As he got closer to it, the nearest guard aimed his rifle right at my father's head! He wisely backed away, and got back as far as he could..

When they rolled the XP-59 out of the hanger, they put a fake propeller on it to try and disguise its real powerplant from spying eyes...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That is understandable because the interior of new cars is plastic while your parents new 60 Ford interior had more metal than plastic. Personally, I wish there was a air freshener called "Old Car Smell".

13. joemac05

joemac05

I can fix you up with some OLD FART smell...... :rolleyes:

14. Johnboy46

Johnboy46

Hi Doc
    I usually take offence when we Brits are called "Dickheads" , but in this instance I agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.