Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Home made open drive conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckedup, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

Anyone made an open drive conversion for a Ford banjo rear? I have some inexpensive ideas but what to see what other have done...

2. pitman

pitman

The caution is usually to ensure you've taken care of the housing 'twist' loads, ie: stronger wishbones, radius rods, hairpins four-bars, parallel main leaf springs etc.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm more interested in home made oil seal holders...

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

End of an old torque tube, aluminium slug, lathe, bearing supply shop. The rest is common sense and basic use of a vernier caliper.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. sdroadster

sdroadster

What about the other end? Does anyone have a method for converting a 39 to 48 Ford transmission to open drive?

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

7. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yup, those parts I have or can make...Some thing similar on the tranny end. I have old Jeep drive shafts and yokes to use ....This is a V8 60 powered vehicle that won't see much actual road use...

8. 117harv

117harv

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

10. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Open drive truck centers for banjos aren't that hard to find. Check the classifieds here or the ford barn. I've got open drive trans parts I would sell. PM me if you're interested.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

use a 49-53 transmission

13. I built one a couple of years back for my bucket out of a 39 torque tube rear, machined up a new seal housing from a piece of billet, used the original female spline from the torque tube driveshaft, bored a later model Ford yolk and pressed in the female splined section, welded it up with some Eutectic 680 rods. Works like a dream, I had 3 early ford truck centres but they are a taper and key type setup and the splined deal to me just seems a stronger option. I will see if I can dig some pics out.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^^^x 2^^^^^^^

15. verde742

verde742

Does anyone know of an e-z way to convert a 1952 Chevy pickup, 3 speed , to an "open" drive shaft?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Epic brilliance in phrasing!

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Replace the transmission with a '55 up passenger car or pickup tranny and '55 up to '70 pickup rear axle. That would give you open drive and 6 bolt hubs that match current wheels.

There is more to the details but they are routine and obvious

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Only way on a Chevy is to change both the rear and trans to later model stuff.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, S10 T5, S10 rear axle, and passenger car hubs and brakes on the front.:D

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Is there a way to convert a 49 ford automatic to take a torque tube? i know this might sound odd but I'm limited to automatic use (bad leg) i have access to a 49 flattie complete aircleaner to pan and the automatic with it. i have either a 40s banjo or a 36 I could use and i think i'd like to keep the rear torque tube.everything will be going in a 27 t roadster body. the cost of the power pack is a swap for an Econoline axle.

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not to be too nit picky, but Ford didn't offer the Fordomatic until '51 model year. So, it could be '51 thru '53. In any case, I can't think of any 'easy' way to convert that, or any other, automatic to torque tube driveline. No doubt such a conversion could be done with enough serious machine work.

It seems to me that using a banjo rear end with open driveline, either the stock '46/7 pickup unit, or converting the passenger axle to open drive, would be far easier than modifying the trans to closed drive. It's unlikely the driveshaft will be visible to the casual observer, but the banjo rear would be, and I suspect that is what you are after.

One other thought. The early Fordomatic, while functional, is a bit bulky, heavy, sluggish and not very efficient by modern standards. I suggest you think about using a later C4 Cruiseomatic......they are smaller, lighter (aluminum case), crisper shifting, easily maintained, readily available and there are adapters made to bolt them to the flathead engine.

Best wishes with your project.

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I had question on the 49 date I'm told the sedan the engine trans was pulled from is a 49 I thought it would be a lot of work converting to the automatic 'back when' Especially since not many trusted them that far back . I didn't think they used autos till 53 but then i was only born in 54!I'm trying to work with what I have. There is very little to no money going in this project I have 8 and 9 inch rears here but yes I prefer staying with a banjo.

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Torque tube is actually more complex than an open drive if you add up the pieces needed to make it work...

24. TERPU

TERPU

I've tried to stay out of this, but It's just not my nature.

Find an old Ford Heavy Duty Three Speed and take the output yoke off of it and the rear seal. Set tham aside.

Find a beat up old Torque tubewith the flange and about 6" of good tube from the base.

Chuck up a piece of 3/4 solid stock and make an insert which is the correct size for the seal and inside of the torque tube. DO NOT WELD IT TOGETHER YET.

Install the yoke on the Ford Rear input, it's the same size and spline count so it's an easy fit. Measure the distance from the flower flange to the seal area and also where the pin is supposed to go.

Cut the tube to length remembering to add in the seal retainer piece, Drill the holes for the Yoke pin for 1/2 Pipe plugs and tap them. Test fit everything but don't hammer the seal in yet.

Weld together when it fits correctly and then install the seal. Put it all together and figure out your rear rods and torque arms. and install in the car. This works and is pretty easy, I used it in my '24 Touring because I was broke and had parts.

OR- find a Ford 42-47 Truck rear and live easy.

All the best,

Tim

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  25. If you do a search I also did a tech post with pics and PNs

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

Tman, you did a nice job on that.....I'm doing something similar but with Willys Jeep drive shafts and yokes because that's what I have. Same thing on the tranny more or less when I find a one inch 6 spline coupler or a inexpensive worn V-8 60 U joint.
    I don't have a lathe ... My friend has one but doesn't know how to use it or what tools do what. But I'll get it done...:D

27. Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm sure it's been done, tommy ivo, i think??, had a b+M hydro converted to torque tube in a roadster in an old artical i have. It tells about the conversion during a hydro artical

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Huh?!? What's needed? You obviously already have a closed drive trans and rear end... trans, driveshaft/tube, rear axle... Dead-simple, reliable, inexpensive, sturdy... but what do I know...:cool:

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL