Register now to get rid of these ads!

y block transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Taff, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Taff

Taff

good folk of the HAMB,

i'm slowly getting on with my 59 Galaxie over here in the UK and I have got as far as the tranmission, which is leaking like a sieve and needs to come out for a refresh. rebuild kits are readily available but I need to fogure out which tranny I have before I can order the kit. Now, this is my frist Ford and I'm not sure what type of trans it is.

it's an auto, with two forward speeds. the main case, from bellhousing to rear of the case (where the tailshaft bolts on) is 17.5 inches long. There is a red tag on the left-side of the case with the seri number PAZ-T 51436 on it, does anyone know of a database where I might be able to cross referance this number?

the motor is a 292 y-block, if that helps. I'm pretty certain that it's the original engine and tranny.

thanks in advancve for any help, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ford-O-Matic All aluminum case. Motor's manual sez 4 models but I'm pretty sure that refers to engine bolt pattern.

3. the name fordomatic was used on different modles Y blocks are cast transmissions small ,medium and large case usually small case on full size ford passenger vehicles medium case used on thunderbird ,large case on Lincoln I would suspect you have a small case transmission it is actually a three speed trans starts in second except when in low ,the aluminum case transmission is a completely different transmission used in falcons etc that is a two speed transmission

4. Taff

Taff

Mac's Auto's list the repair kits for my trans as small and medium, which leaves me trying to figure out which I have so I can start spending :)

5. PAZ T is listed in the 49 - 59 Ford text book as a 1959 C/M trans.

The C/M stands for Cruise-O-Matic 3 speed dual range

Listed as a 3 speed tranny used behind 292-2BBL engines

Also mentioned in the remarks collum is "From 12/1/58 - 29 spline input shaft"

Guess it was first used 12/1/58 and all thru the 59 model year.

Hope this helps.

Oldmics

6. Taff

Taff

your a it of a superstar mate! is that book an on-line referance that you have a link for?

thanks, Taff

7. Taff

No online references that I know of for this book.

I see the CDs availiable on eBay all the time.

Its the 49 - 59 Ford Car Parts and Accessorys Book.

Its the text book.They also have an illistrations book.

If you like,send me a PM and I will take a photograph of the books page showing the information.

I have a pretty good collection of Ford books from that era since I mess with Baby Birds.

Oldmics

8. Is your trans all aluminum, or does it have a cast iron main case? The pre 59 FordOMatic was actually a 3 speed, depsite have DR & LO on the shift indicator, and used the iron case.A new all aluminum 2 speed FordOMatic came out for 59. My own 59 2 door sedan has a 332 FE with the all aluminum 2 speed, but the 3 speed, now called a "Dual Range" was optional, at least with the 332/352 engines. The all aluminum 2 speed was pretty much the same as the 2 speed used on early Falcon and Comet 6 cylinder cars.I don`t know if a 59 with a Y Block was available with the Dual Range 3 speed trans.

9. we sure like looking at pictures.....hint....hint...

10. Taff

Taff

man, it's grim under there... :)

this is a pic of the plate, I don't have a ramp so getting decent pictures of the trans is tough

[​IMG]

11. MMMM Nice and yummy under there.

Pics of Ford info as requested.

Oldmics

Attached Files:

12. If it helps any I've got a 1959 Ford Shop manual that covers your trans. I can scan copies if you'd like. PM me and we can exchange e-mail addresses.

Movin/on

13. Taff

Taff

thanks man, you have PM

I THINK my box is a 3 speed cruise-o-matic with the small case, judging by what I've discovered and thanks to the good people of the HAMB for guiding me!

Time to spend and stop it leaking, the saving in dripping trans fluid alone will be significant :)

14. joee

joee

if the shift indicator has the little green circle it's a 3 speed if plain it's a 2 speed

15. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Hey there Rory, I have a 292 y block and i have an aluminum housing fordomatic trans bolted to it- transmission is from a 1960 fairlane. The problem is I'm not sure which starter I need, the starter that was on the original cast iron fordomatic will not work. I can install the starter but the gear rests right on the ring gear and the spring on the end of the starter rubs on the torque converter. Do you know which starter I need? thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014