Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sedan vs tudor...whats the difference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Stupid question time:rolleyes: What's the difference between a sedan and a tudor? Which one has 4 doors?

2. Tudor sedan and Fordor Sedan. It's a play on words! Henry liked the spelling, plus his name was in the latter.

3. Bugman

Bugman

So all the extended bodys(non-coupes) are sedans, and it's either tudor or fordor depending on doors? Sounds logical

4. squirrel

squirrel

until you get into the 40s and 50s cars, and things aren't so clear...

5. Not that easy. There were cabriolets, roadsters, Sport coupes, A-400 convertibles (2 doors), Victorias (2 doors) phaetons (4 and 2 doors), and Town cars (chauffer driven).

6. And coupe utes!

7. guiseart

guiseart

my old man always said a 2dr sedan's back windows rolled down, a 2dr coupe's didn't... but that's not always true.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Generic terms can be used for any of em. A sedan usually has a large enclosed rear passenger area and as said above comes in 2 or 4 doors. Extended 4dr versions with jump seats are normally referred to as touring sedans or limos. There's different coupes as well. A "buisness" coupe tends to be one or both, smaller interior and no back seat. For a short time there was the "opera" coupe which had a back seat on each side and rear passengers faced each other. Any version of those can be called a coupe. Then you get in to what some OEMs called "coupe sedans", or a 5pass. coupe. This is what we fondly refer to as a "victoria" which denotes a close-coupled interior, meaning that the rear seat area is closer to the front seat area. Ads described them as more "intimate and allows for pleasent conversation with passengers". There's an over abundant language for all the soft top cars and convertibles. The primary difference (with a few exceptions) is wether or not they have windows. A roadster typically has no windows and a single seat driver's compartment. A convertible, cabriolet, or convertible coupe, has a single driver's compartment and roll-up windows. Both of the above examples may or may not have a rumble seat in lieu of a trunk. The 4dr convertible versions are referred to as phaetons (also a few exeptions) which describes the versions with no roll-up windows. Large 7 pass. versions are also referred to as a touring car. Sport phaetons have a second cowl and windshield for the rear passengers. Accessory 2nd windshields are sometimes fitted from the OEM and referred to as dual winshield phaetons. Sport phaetons are often referred to as "dual cowl" and are always 5pass versions. Open top sedans are basically convertible sedans, meaning a rear seat area like a closed sedan, 4 doors, and roll-up windows. They too came in 7pass versions with divider windows and jump seats. Some of the more affluent designs allowed for the top to be open only over the driver and provided hardware for such versions to be driven as such. There was also a convertible victoria, which denotes a full back seat area that was also close coupled and incorporated larger doors for rear seat entry. These still only had 2 roll-up windows.

Ok, it may be more info than was needed but I hope this brief gives some others interested a lil insight.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, the explanations get pretty hairy after about 1948, but as far as Model A's go, the Tudor and the Fordor are both sedans, if someone just says sedan, it could be either one.

10. Bugman

Bugman

Thanks for more info than I ever wanted to know :D

11. a1930ford

a1930ford

Just remember, tudors are the pretty ones! :)
    No one mentioned the center door T.......
    Any rate, the tudor is said to actually have the most room for driver. I have had a '30 Murry bodied 4 door sedan and a '30 tudor sedan, but never really noticed a difference in room. However, I have noticed that the tudor is prettier. :)
    Huey

12. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

So , does "tudor" actually mean 2 door? , and "fordor" mean 4 door? , the reason I ask , is I have a 4 door sedan , but I got a tudor title with it:confused:

13. Model T1

Model T1

You're screwed. Give me the car and the title. I'll get it changed to fordor.
    Better check all of your VIN numbers.

14. Texas titles now don't show coupes. The coupe is now a tudor. Not sure if they even have a fordor.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

generally, there is no difference in room in a two door sedan and a four door sedan of the same make and model. The difference is in the LENGTH of the doors...a two door has a longer door, facilitating entry to the rear seat and giving a bit more room to the portly driver to enter the front seat.

16. Model T1

Model T1

Now days there are far too many PORTLY drivers making driving Model T's, Model A's and similar cars impossible.
    I've always preferred all 2-door cars for the nicer looks and felt better with the kids trapped in the back.

17. Fenders

Fenders

Some states still will say coupe, as does my 31 Ford Mass. title, and it also lists cylinders/passengers/doors (mine reads 8/2/2)

18. and to add a couple more terms; saloon and coach

19. Weld the two rear doors shut and yer good to go!

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the 30s Ford called their sedans "tudor" for two door and "fordor" for four door.

Other companies used other names, like coach (2 door) and sedan (4 door).

In England they used names like "four light saloon" and "six light saloon" meaning a four door sedan with 2 windows on each side, or 3 windows on each side. A long time ago a window pane was called a light of glass.

So you can see it can get confusing unless you know who was using the name and what they meant by it.

PS Saloon does not mean they put a bar in the back seat so you could drive yourself to drink. I told you it was confusing.