Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Side-mirrors on 50s customs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dagenham Dave, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

In all the pictures I see of traditional 50s customs, there appear to be no side-mirrors.

It definitley makes a custom car look cleaner. Aren't they required in the US?

Attached Files:

2. Depends on the cops.

3. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

We don't need no stinkin' mirrors...

4. When I bought the wife's 50 Chevy convert a few years back it had no side mirrors. The car is not a custom but a I guess it would be called a restorod. I was so nervous about driving it home I put the top down with rain threatening. Made it home without getting wet. Put stock mirrors on it a week later.

I can see that a custom does look cleaner without them but sure not fun for me to drive.

5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Use reflection on appletons

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do not think that they are required on passenger cars but, do make a difference with the enjoyment of the ride by knowing where other cars are around yours. wife's '50 Chevy 5 window PU has no outside mirrors so, use suction style accessory mirrors on inside of windshield - works pretty good. Autobahn Blind Spot Mirror is very adjustable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Outside mirrors were optional on 50's cars when brand new, so they aren't required by law in the US, but I agree, as nice as it looks, it's much harder to drive, especially a chopped car.

I like the smooth look, but I don't think a properly-located, period looking side mirror takes away from a nice 50's custom. I do see a lot of the body color fiberglass blob mirrors stuck on 50's customs because guys think they will "blend in" and they always, 100% of the time look like dog shit.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems kind of silly to mount a useless chrome blob on your windshield post and then be "smooth" by not having an outside rear view mirror.

not sure when they were required on new cars, but my 61 Dodge did not come with a factory outside mirror.

9. Roy Olsen

Roy Olsen
    from Norway

Agreed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Don't see the point of having an outside mirror. My neck turns just fine. Just like having a mirror on a motorcycle; whats the point?

Those late model fiberglass style mirrors always throw me through a loop. They look terrible.

11. Squablow

Squablow

On a chopped car, or one with a small back window that would have a large blind spot, I think a mirror can see a lot that turning your head would not. On a convertible or a panoramic glass hardtop, could be a different story.

12. Dagenham Dave

Dagenham Dave

I agree, and my 52 is both chopped and with a small back window on it's Carson top, so I think that having no side mirrors (although there is no question it will look better) is going to end in tears (and I also believe is illegal in Australia). :(

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

I think one rear view mirror is all that is required by law. In Texas at least it can be on the inside or either side of the outside.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If your mirrors are adjusted correctly, little movement of the head and neck is required. That way, you're able to keep your attention on traffic ahead. Beyond safety, it's just common sense.

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It'll take me a while to find one that I like , but my Shoebox WILL have a side mirror . I'd rather be safe with a car I want to drive the wheels off of .

16. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have got to have at least one, I would be lost without it as I am blind in my right eye but I will admit it would look better without it and I am having a very tough time finding one that I like. I refuse to put one of those clamp on ones on the window frame.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  17. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Mirrors ? Nope don't have them on any of my cars....

18. regarding the question. "Aren't they required in the US?"
    the requirement for outside mirrors on older cars is determined by individual States, here is the rule for the State of Wisconsin

Trans 305.26  Mirrors.

(1) All motor vehicles originally manufactured with an inside mounted rearview mirror and all homemade and reconstructed motor vehicles registered after January 1, 1975, shall be equipped with an inside mounted rearview mirror. All motor vehicles originally manufactured with a left outside rearview mirror and all homemade and reconstructed motor vehicles registered after January 1, 1975, shall be equipped with a left outside rearview mirror.

(2) The mirrors of every motor vehicle shall be maintained in proper working condition and in conformity with this section and s. 347.40, Stats.

(3) No mirror may be broken, cracked, discolored, non-reflective or otherwise reflect an inadequate image. All mirrors shall be securely mounted on the vehicle.

(4) If the vehicle is constructed, loaded, or towing another vehicle so as to prevent the operator's clear view to the right rear, adequate additional mirrors shall be installed on both sides of the outside of the vehicle.

Curt R

19. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Yes, its silly to mount a "useless" chrome blob on your car...

That's why all the best customs have functional Appleton's.. therefore giving them a "use."

;)

20. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

My 51 Merc is going to be daily driver my case funtion over form. I would rather be looking mirror than at a dent.
    If ya needed to I could put peep miirors on and take em off at show.

21. Again, just running the one mirror (none on my scoots). I've got a pretty big blindspot on the entire right side of my car because of it. Thus, some slight bending of the neck sheds light to said blindspot. Beyond common sense, its just a custom.

22. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

now thats the right idea!!!!

23. cosmic12

cosmic12

So for us guys that have to have them anyone have a good suggestions on what to use? As I said before I won't use those little round ones that clamp to the door top. But I am have a hard time finding something suitable for my 52. Anyone?:confused:

24. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I used a mirror from an early corvette . They were the same from first year to early 60's .[​IMG]

25. I don't understand why people are hating on the little round peep mirrors? Do they not work ?

26. BubbaG

BubbaG

There are a few styles to choose from. I like the little peep mirrors that screw on because you can take them off, don't have to drill the body to put them on. I'll be putting one on my passenger side this year so do'n damn near knock out the carport pillars backing up this year... Big blind spot on that side. Oops.

27. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

The peer mirror's don't work. There hard to see out of and have very little adjustment. I tried them on my car and they drove me nut's.

28. extra cheese

extra cheese

There's no lookin back in a kustom. Only looking back at a kustom.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. No side mirrors planned for my car. Rearview mirror, do need. Grille too. ;)

[​IMG]

30. Don't really have a big thought on them other then this... I can't stand it when people use really ugly ass mirrors from the eighties or ninties!! Same with door handles!! Nothing is uglier the a set of handles from an 89 Chevy truck on your so called custom!!!!