Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 chevy starter problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wreckfixer, Jan 9, 2014.

1. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I have a friend that has a 74 Chevy 350. that the starter went out on and he can't seem to get the right one. he has tried two differant flywheels. I know I have seen a thread on this but I guess I'm not smart enough to make the search funtion work. Any help would be great, thanks

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Why isn't it the right one? What isn't jiving?

3. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I don't know for some reason it will not engage into the flywheel.

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

There's 2 differnt flywheels 168 and 153 or something. Point being make sure you get the matching starter. Hell take it to a starter shop, rebuild is cheaper and supports the local guy. This way you know it fits and has good parts inside.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Also assuming your solenoid is good.

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yes bench test your starter to make sure the bendix drive works properly.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I went through this nightmare and I posted a long thread about it, but there are SEVERAL. First, make sure you've got the correct starter for the flywheel. Then, check and do the following: Use GM STARTER BOLTS or these http://shop.whiteperformance.com/STARTER-SHIM-AND-BOLT-KIT-2106-KIT-2106-KIT.htm?categoryId=-1

Next, check your timing! IT DOES MATTER! Make a dedicated ground from battery negative to a starter bolt. This is why electricity is the DEVIL. You can't see it, but it'll screw you EVERY time.

people say that you need a bracket that mounts on the starter and bolts to the engine block. Maybe, maybe not. I've never had a car that had it and I've only seen the bracket in photos.

The problem I had sounds just like your friends. My starter was working fine one day, next day, bullshit. I went through 4 starters before ditching them and going to a Hi-Torque starter. In fact, I have a brand new GM starter that I kept as a reserve and to remind me how much I hate Chevy starters.

Rebuilding the old one is a good idea, but who really has the time for that crap, when it's a daily driver and you're trying to just get home or to work? There's a place FAR from me that does it and they had a 48HR turn around. It's easier to just get a new one with a warranty.

Edison, Ford and Tesla were playing poker with Mr. Chevrolet. Mr. Chevy was winning all the bigger pots. After taking a beating for a few hours, the game broke up and Mr. Chevrolet strutted home. Edison, Tesla and Ford swore to get even.

3 months later, while partying in New Orleans, the three met with a voodoo hoodoo woman. She sold them a cursed diagram for a starter for $50,000. Upon arriving back in Detroit, they slipped the diagram to one of Mr. Chevrolets engineers. The rest, is history. FACT! Fords check bounced and he latter found the curse in his Edsel. FACT!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  9. fsae0607

fsae0607

They weren't Autozone [overseas-made] starters, were they? I had the same issue with my O/T car with a 305 SBC and it kept breaking starters (yes it was shimmed and installed properly), until I bucked down and bought a genuine AC Delco one. Not one problem since.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The first one was an Autozone, the rest were O'Reilly's. The last O'Reilly's being their premium, brand new, shiny, full warranty bullshit starter. It's brand new and sits as a reserve in my collect of crap.

The mini I got cranks like a rabid ape! I set my timing and combined it with a Whites starter bolts and a heavy duty flex plate and haven't looked back. On my new engine, I transferred everything over and still no problems.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Guess I'm lucky, not only is my starter guy fast, he's affordable and a hot rodder !

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

Ha that's why it's best to stick with OEM or good aftermarket stuff. I've had too many problems with Autozone and O'reilly's supposed "premium" parts. I stick to NAPA for that stuff.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not to get off the subject, but lack of mechanics or shops, that work on hot rods or muscle cars, is sorely lacking in Houston. Maybe they need to advertise more. 4th largest city in America and the car community here sucks.

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

If you're not pressed for time, try rebuilding a starter next time. It's not that hard and pretty fun. I just rebuilt the starter on my jimmy V6 and made a tech article out of it. I learned a lot from it! :cool:

15. aldixie

aldixie

Have two shops in Deer Park that work on Hot Rods and Classics, they are general mechanic shops but always have interesting cars when I drive by each morning. One of the shops is rebuilding a friends Nova convertible on the side of his main business which is alignments.

I'm about to take the Jag Ifs out of my Chevy and go to Mustang II, will take it to his shop afterwards as he knows what he's doing.

16. manyolcars

manyolcars

you can rebuild it yourself faster than you can drive to the rebuilders shop.
    Usually, its just bushings and brushes, sometimes you need to true the commutator (in the drill press!) and undercut the mica.

17. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

I agree with you on this one! Houston used to be full of old iron and now NOTHING! All went to the recyclers and the hotrodders retired from the scene? Good grief.

18. txturbo

txturbo

I just gave up on a NAPA starter for my 63 Cadillac that I dealt with for almost two weeks. Had it bench tested 6 times at local auto parts stores and once at the local rebuilder and it passed every time. Put 3 new solenoids on it. You bolt it on the car and it will just click and not enough to engage the bendix. About every 5th time it will work right. Everything in the starting and charging system is new...some things more than once. Can't just go to the parts store and buy a cadillac starter for this car....has to be sent out to be rebuilt. Gave up and bought a used one off ebay and its been working great.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Txturbo, when mine had me stumped, I almost started thinking it was a factory defect of some kind. But, mine would do like yours. Work, then not work for 3 or 4 times, then start working again. Everyone kept saying, check ground. Check timing. Check the bolts. Get a bracket. maybe the block was shaved. But NONE of those should have created an intermittent starting problem. In fact, after O'Reilly's replaced the 4th one, they literally told me, "That's it. No more." I had used most of their stock and they ALL checked good on the test machine.

As I stated earlier, I've got a BRAND NEW just sitting in my den, and it cost MORE than the hi-torque I ended up using.:D

As a note to the OP, I think later model starters for SBC are hi-torque. Seems I read that some where, but I can't remember what years.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think if you have the large flexplate the starter will have the bolt holes offset.
    If you have the small flexplate the bolt holes will across from each other.
    And the purple wire will hook to the inside small terminal.
    If its a side terminal battery I would take the bolts out of the rubber ends and clean them real good.

21. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I replace a starter, and found out it was a ign switch, dam I was pissed

22. txturbo

txturbo

That makes two of us....mine is all cad plated....looks awesome. Would make a nice door stop. Only reason I didn't throw it in the trash is the armature and snout are unique to Cadillac 390s.

23. Hellooooo?... Does everyone realize what a great clue we may have been given here? :confused:

When four replacement starters have bench tested OK, maybe it's time to look somewhere other than the starter. :eek: Battery cables, ground cables, terminals, ignition switch, bulkhead connectors, neutral safety or clutch switches...

When the problem isn't where you think it should be, it's likely to be somewhere else. ;)

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I replaced my switch and checked my electrical system. I still had my starter problems. So.....