Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Thats wild. I really want to hear it now!

2. ditto on that ! Can't be any worse than my 49 Ford Coupe with straight exhaust( flathead 6 ) :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well guys, how's this, I have had low 40 degree outside with about a 25 mile an hour wind here in Texas. I think that is about 20's (wind chill). The shop is frozen. I could start the car in the shop but I think it is a very bad idea. The distortion of the confined space would make for a real audio mess. I did try to see how it might be but, the starter just buzzes when I hit the button ( I think it's the solenoid). Hang with me.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

The shaking Jer was mentioning is called CAMSHAFT..... sounds awesome and it is pretty lopey.

5. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, this is the first flu shot that gave me the flu. Not real bad, but not good either. Put that together with a septoplasty for Mom's nose and frigid weather and we have a real slow down in progress. I'm looking to try and get all the work (glass) around the garnish moldings done so I can ship 'em off.

6. Karl stark

Karl stark

Hope you are both better soon.

7. Get well soon to both of you !

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

Some months back I dropped off the seats at the trim shop that's going to do the interior. I wanted to get them out of my shop and, I wanted them done before I brought the car over. This would put the car there for as short a time as possible. Chris just called me to come over and look at where he's at. HORAAAY!

Attached Files:

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Hmmm! Wrong pictures . :(:confused:

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

That's when I dropped them off. Here's what He wanted me to see.

Attached Files:

11. Every stage generates more excitement.. This build is just plain thrilling to watch unfold! Thanks Jer!

Dave

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

The piece's keep comin' together.

I should tell you what's going on right now. I'm trying to get the car over to the trim shop next week. I need to figure out where I'm at with the door glass. I've had the doors apart from the very beginning and I can't remember where all this stuff goes AND, where some of it is. I wish I knew where to go to see a blow up of the the door glass components, with part #'s.

I'm going to try for that video next week end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

For the record.

Attached Files:

14. Old books...priceless!

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

I've got two sets of vent wing frames. One is black steel and, one is stainless. I'm using the black steel frames because they're easier to work with. I've made a buck that mimics the glass width with the seal. I'm using heat to form the correct shape. I will have them chromed. I sure would appreciate any pointers/tips on getting the upper pivot geometry correct so that the window will pivot out like its supposed to.

Anybody?

Attached Files:

16. Torchie

Torchie

I remove the upper pivot, shape the frame as necessary and reposition the upper pivot to where they will work correctly and then re-install the pivot.
    That seems to be the common way of doing it.
    Hope this helps.
    Torchie.

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I can take all day and do a lot of damage trying to do this. I know that the guy's that have done this more than once or twice have a way that they set things up to figure this out. That's who I need to hear from. Barry, David, Miguel I know your watching this.

18. I don't know about anyone else's opinion, but I would just cut apart the top pivot from the garnish moulding, remove the mounting screw, run a long length of rod down through the top pivot mount to near the lower pivot and adjust until true vertical, then reweld. That way you can pivot the window frame and check for binding.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  19. jivin jer

jivin jer

Ok, I left enough room to rassil' the big, bulky, W/strip into place. There's lots of choppin' up, trimming, adjusting and destroying done in this process. The vent frame has to be shortened on the ends. The garnish mldg has to have the screw retainers positioned and spot welded. The garnish is "roughed up" as well as the outer door window opening. I should have done this before I painted the car.

I can't take the car to the upholstery shop until all this is done, what a hassle. The best thing that happened was that I thought it was Friday when in fact it was Thursday. I gained an extra day. Don't tell me old age doesn't have built in perks.

Thanks John.

Attached Files:

20. jivin jer

jivin jer

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  21. Karl stark

Karl stark

It's alive!! Great Jer.

22. ol'skool'46

ol'skool'46

after all the engines that have come and gone, the flatty is still one of the best sounding out there. sounds and looks great !!

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody.

Chris at Chris's Trim Shop called and told me that the seats are done. I hope to have the car over there this week.

I'm very happy with the effort to get these right. I'm looking forward to having the car done.

Attached Files:

24. That flathead sounds great Jer ! The seat is the tits !

25. Seats look great Jer!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Looking good Jer,loving those seats.

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Those seats look great...I can't wait to see more! :cool:

28. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

The seats and that killer dash, oh yeah!