Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crank pulley/Belt contect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Mark, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey guys, I fabricated up this bracket to put a AC compressor on this dodge flathead 6,
    Problem is, I'm not sure if there's enofe contact on the crank pulley and belt,
    What do you think ?
    Thanks ....
    PS, its kinda hard to see in the picture, but I couldnt put the compressor any higher, or closer to the engine due to the exhaust.

Attached Files:

2. trbomax

trbomax

I think it will be fine.You wouldnt want any less,but what you got should work OK.

3. I disagree. That belt should have around 100º of wrap to effectively drive the compressor. Plus you have the alternator and fan/water pump on the same belt. Not going to work effectively.

Two belts are needed here, at least. One should wrap 'round the crank/fan/compressor, the other: crank/fan/alternator.

Cosmo

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Cosmo. Did that 6-bolt pattern not continue on into later years?

5. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hey gimpyshotrods, im not sure about the 6-bolt pulley, id like to find a dubble belt pulley.
    or build a iddler.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would poke around. I have seen 2-3 grove crank pulleys, with dampers even, on these. It looks like you have an early hand-crank crank hub, which predates my DCPD knowledge.

7. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

thanks man,
    Ill look around and see if i cant find a diffirent pulley

8. I also think more contact would be good, can you add some type of idler pulley to reroute it a bit, or change brackets a bit? maybe move the alternator up? and/or consider multiple groove pulleys as others said

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Put a idler pulley between the alt and crank to run on the back side of the belt.

10. funk 49

funk 49

x2 on the idler pulley idea. The more belt contact on the crank drive pulley the better.

11. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

yea, im thinking of trying to find a flat backed ideler pulley from the wrecking yard.

12. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Is that one of those Gates PoweRated® green wrapped belts? Does the size include a number like 3L, 4L, 5L?
    I like them for garden equipment etc that provide clutch action by slipping until tightened by a spring loaded idler.

But Gates rates their power capacity as a grade or 2 lower than real cut and cogged automotive belts.
    http://www.gates.com/ptpartners/fil...cuments_module&file=V-Belt_Brochure_16700.pdf

to get an idea how much HP you can transmit I'd take the belt section size, crank pulley diameter and 2000 rpm and compare it to the tables starting on page 22 here -
    http://www.gates.com/catalogs/file_...DriveDesignManual.pdf&thisPath=gates/catalogs

The de-rate for contact less than 180 degrees is on page 205.
    There is also a de-rate for ebing driven by an engine and not an electric motor.

(Yeah, I think you probably need a double or triple groove crank pulley)

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like it'd be pretty easy to fabricate an idler to mount on the engine cradle between the crank pulley and compressor. And if possible, another between the fan and the alternator would give you more wrap on each of the four pulleys.

14. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey Dan, thanks for that info, Im not sure about the belt, my customer bought the belt, but Im gona point him to this and let him give it a read..
    yea Ebb, Im kinda thinking about the iddlers,

15. river1

river1

Maybe put a double pulley on the water pump. Run one belt from crank to water pump to alternator. Other belt run from water pump to AC.

later jim

16. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

not sure if they made a double belt pulley for the water pump for this ol thing jim.
    but another good idea,
    thanks

17. Yeah like I said...and the other hambexperts agreed....idler pulley of some type......I am sure between everyone here we will get it sorted out....this really is the best forum going

18. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

man, this is the best forum going...
    yea, Im going to the wrecking yard to look for some sort of iddler.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think you could go to a double pulley pretty easy by finding a three hole pulley and just over laying it on the 6 hole and drill the extra 3 mounting holes. A 2nd pulley would work better to separate the accessories with two belts, and get the contact area needed to properly drive everything. I bet a trip to the junkyard with the lower pulley will discover something in a three hole that matches up.

20. I like the sound of that too 1971BB427....separating into a couple separate belts also is a good idea....maybe if he gets a pulley that is even close, can have it machined at a local shop so if the center hole was too small or something...or re-drill the face for a different bolt pattern if all else looks like a perfect fit