Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chassis Number on Zephyr ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemiken, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hello Guys,

Can someone show me where abouts on their own chassis, preferably the same chassis as i have, but i can not find where the chassis number is on a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr i have here. How many numbers is their when i get shown should their be ?

Thank you in advance for any help i can get.

Kenny.

2. Ole don

Ole don

Check on The Ford Barn, Early V8 forum.

3. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

It's on the front cross member driver side.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thank you very much guys, i will check it out ;)

5. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Also on the right rear frame rail just past the bend in the frame.

6. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi, thanks.....
    But what part of the chassis rail is it on ? Top, bottom, outside or inside please.

How many numbers am i looking for, i can not find anything anywere ? are they on a plate or stamped in to the rails, if it is a plate it could be missing. Has anyone got a sample picture please. Thank you in advance, this Brutha needs your help. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

VanPelt has added Zephyr serials to his excellent site, right here:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Although it seems all '39's have 5 digits, the number is just a sequence number that counts all the H series motors built since H-1 in 1936...
    I believe you should see something like *H-xxxxx* stamped directly into the chassis and also on top of trans bell casting.
    The star at each end tells you that you have found all the characters and prevents modification.

8. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

That is some very good information, thank you Bruce.
    I would love to see a sample if anyone can share, i still can not find anything on the chassis i have.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Van Pelt site shows layout of a Ford number, which I think would be done same way on a Zephyr with an H based prefix, but I've never actually looked at a Lincoln chassis #...I assume it would be on main left rail somewhere between front crossmember and firewall, but that's an assumption.
    The car's main number is the one on bellhousing above inspection window, and I know that's done just like Ford practice.
    I would really study the frame area with wire brush, cleaner, and a powerful flashlight...the numbers are oft quite faint and occluded by crud. If you need to remove much rust, do it chemically rather than with abrasives as the numbers are often shallow.

10. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

The numbers were stamped by hand, in random spacing, so don't think it looks uniform

11. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thank you both for that, i do not have an engine or gearbox for the car, so i am relying on what i find on te chassis rails themselves.
    I will have a better look as it may be a very faint stamping or it could be in an area with a build up of crud.
    Would still appreciate if someone posted a picture of their numbering, would love to know how long of a strip on the chassis to look for, weather they are large or small font numbering. Thank you all the same guys. :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

for my 39 ford, they are both on the driver's side top of the frame rail. The first is just 3" back from the front cross-member. The second is about 6" forward of the center rear bump-up for the axle.

13. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

So would a Lincoln be the same to look at as a Ford numbering ?
    Thanks for the reply and positioning, i have a position to inspect even closer now.

14. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

According to my 1940 issue Motors Flat Rate Manual and 1946 issue Motors Manual the serial number can be found on the right front of the dashboard.

15. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hopefully i will get to look at its whereabouts over the weekend when i do not have any honeydo's.
    Would be neat if someone posted up a number for reference, iterested to know how tall these numbers are, if they are going to be difficult to find or not. Thanks guys.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Early Ford numbers are I think 1/4" high and have peculiar straight 6's and 9's, and I for 1. The serial will begin and end with a star, and will be something like *H-XXXXX*
    With a wire brush and a flashlight held at a low angle you will probably be able to spot some part of it, then you will know what sort of attack is needed to clean and expose the rest.

17. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Bruce, Thanks again for the heads up buddy. I will take your advice and put it to practice and see if i can find it. Thanks again, Kenny.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oldskool's post is interesting...the LZ was quite different structurally from Ford, so maybe they did move the chassis copy of the # up there...I believe dashboard here probably means what most of us would call the firewall. Search there first, as it will be a lot easier on your back than crawling along the forward rail!
    As with Ford, the number originated when the engine/trans assembly was completed, and then was stamped onto whatever chassis the engine met when it reached the assembly line.
    The Lincoln transmissions I have use same serial system as Fords, so I would assume that same route applies.
    Canadian serial practices have some differences from US, but I doubt that there was an Lincoln production in Canada and that your car, unlike most Australian Fords, is USA built. Again, assumption.

19. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I did see that also to what Oldskool posted, the firewall & dash area on this car has been hacked up. Prior rodding attempt, or engine change i would say. Not that you think many engines would be as long as what a V12 would be, strange.
    I will look around. Thank you again.

Kenny.

20. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

Hi, in follow up to my 1st post your motor number and serial number are identical and should be between H64641 and H 85640 and found on the firewall under the hood. This should be of help in titling if needed.

21. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hey Oldskool, this Zephyr does not have any running gear at all buddy. But thank you.
    Does not need a title, it came to Australia a long time ago and was started on the conversion to right hand drive, that could be another reason as to why the firewall was cut up too, now that i think about it, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a '37 Zephyr and I do not know if the serial number is on the same place as the later ones but if it is, look on the bottom side of the frame at the back end. I don't remember the exact spot. I remember crawling under the back bumper and looking at the frame rail. I can take a look on mine and narrow done the spot in needed.

Found an old thread that it was also discussed.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411139&highlight=zephyr

Neal

23. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Hi Neal, i am not sure either. But if you could check and take a picture for me that would be awesome of you buddy. Thanks so much, Kenny.

24. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Here is what I added to my post in the earlier thread.

"I went out and looked. It is at the rear of the car on the left side. On the side of the frame right ahead of the bumper bracket. My number starts with a "H" and then some numbers. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neal

25. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thank you Neal, that is going to help. I hope that a 1939 has the numbering in that location like a 1937 Lincoln does. Thanks again.............

26. Mats-Henrik

Mats-Henrik
    from Norway

I have two 38s. They have the chassis numbers stamped on the front crossmember, on the driver side, and also on the driver side frame rail, behind the rear axle. Don't know if its the same on 39s, but its worth to check if you havent found it already.

27. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thanks Mats, ithink a 38 would be as close as i will get to a 39 my friend.
    I will send you a PM. ;)

28. straya

straya

Left hand rear chassis rail around the rear wheel well towards the end of the rail. In between there about 8 mm high lettering

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Thank you very much, i have to get under the car to look in that area.