Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical upholstery panel attachment?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodyTom, Jan 9, 2014.

1. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

wrapping up my 34 roadster, any advice on how to attach door panels--the door has a wooden frame and i dont want to use screws that show

2. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. aaggie

aaggie

I was admiring a nice interior at a show and asked the owner how he got the panels to fit so tight and he said he used some two inch wide Velcro glued to the door and back of panel. He used a piece of sheet plastic starting at the corner and it separated the Velcro to remove the panel.

4. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

This answer is sooo no-traditional but use industrial velcro .That way there are no holes drilled into the wood. If you are worried about it coming loose a simple staple at both ends secures it. If you can attach to the metal on the door the I would use the ford spring clips.

*sorry slow typing and I missed the above comment*

5. Velcro works great,that's what was used in my roadster. HRP

6. "Dual Lock" is the name for the super heavy duty 'velcro'. It WILL hold. Used by many OEMs these days, for things that need to stay, but be removeable, like headliners around sunroofs.

Cosmo

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have also used snaps. Like so..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the Velcro not hold the panel about a 1/4" of the steel door?

wuga

9. onebigdog

onebigdog
    from ca

Does the Velcro not hold the panel about a 1/4" of the steel door?

wuga ? When you wrap a panel there is usually excess foam or salvage around the inside edge, or on custom panels the welting is around the edge. Place your velcro inside the edge and it will help to keep the velcro from showing.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

10. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Did a little looking and the dual lock velcro seems a good way to go.

11. This guy has it right. Ive seen way too many cars with it out on the edge and IMHO it looks like a turd in a punchbowl.

12. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

Thanks for the help

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

In the past I used plastic clips that look like miniature Christmas trees. I can't remember the name.

Ago

14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Here are the clips I use for panels. The white plastic ones on the right are what I use to attach into wood. Work great.

[​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  15. bornhigh

bornhigh
    from SOCAL

Here's one way I've used in the past, hope the diagram is clear enough. With a cardboard shape of your door panel, mark where you want to attach it to the wood frame with a pencil or sharpie, transfer it to the wood with an awl or nail. Carefully drill a hole deep enough not to interfere with a door panel clip depth. Then, either glass a flat washer over the hole or countersink it the thickness and diameter of the washer.

Attached Files:

16. dollsratrod

dollsratrod

yes xmas tree clips are the way to go there as have been discribed hold nice a firm the real name i dont know if you PM me ill send you some or a sample so you can find good luck

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yes! Use clips or velcro. Anything but exposed screws.

It drives me nuts to see a perfectly nice door panel that someone spent half a day making but spent 2 minutes hanging it (like it was a sheet of drywall) with chrome plated screws and washers.

18. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I used clips but they didn't mount very flush. But looked good. The self tapping chrome screws look traditional.. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389328931.634981.jpg the above was clips. Bit had a gap between the panel and the door. I don't have a pic of the self tapping screws but they looked just fine...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I used 2" velcro from McMaster-Carr that comes with industrial adhesive already applied to the backside of the hook and the loop, works great.

20. Im with Jake. I use the same clips he does. The pastic christmas tree clips work great for attatching panels to wooden frames. Velcro is kinda pricey. You can get 50 of the plastic clips for around $10.