Register now to get rid of these ads!

I just picked up a Hemi, need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jan 9, 2014.

1. I picked up a 56 Desoto Hemi engine yesterday.
    It is all apart and I would like a suggestion as to what would be a good book to buy to learn about it. I have zero experience with a hemi.
    I would like to find one with exploded views of the engine and maybe some description of the idiosyncrasies of the Desoto in particular because I know they are different from the Chryslers and Dodge hemis.
    Any of you hemi gurus out there have a suggestion?

2. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

3. Don,how I wish Deuce Roadster was still around,,he had done a lot of work on one of these for his pal Scott at the salvage yard,,I remember him saying that they are a strange engine but we both know Randy was a hard core Chevy engine guy.

I don't think Scott is a Hamber. HRP

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The DeSotos differ from Dodge and Chrysler by dimensions, not so much by design.

That, however, does limit some of the manifold and valve cover availability, but otherwise the good things about hemis is shared with DeSotos.

And the '56 is pretty healthy by cubic inches.....likely a 330, but could be a 341 IIRC.

Both 73RR and TRWaters, here on the HAMB, are hemi experts....there are others here too...and HotHeads is also a good source of hemi parts and data.

5. Danny, I bought it thinking about putting it in the coupe when I redo it. You think it would look a little more traditional with a hemi peeking out of the side?:)

Hnstray, its an S23 which I found decodes as a 330 if I decoded it right./

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Start by getting the original factory repair manual. These are not hard to get, they printed thousands of them, one for each dealer. They sell on Ebay and at flea markets for around $50. Contains all specs and repair procedures, when in doubt go by the engineers who designed it.

7. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Just a suggestion, DO a "Google" search for original manuals and Hot Rod performance type books for that engine, as popular as they are, in our world, there has to be a fair amount of printed info. I'm sure there are "Hemi" experts on the HAMB to help you out with tech, parts supply venders and reference to shops that specialize in "Hemi's". But, IMO, printed reference is important to have and is essential. Good luck with your project, for old time look , its hard to beat a "Hemi" of any vintage. John

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

What I can tell you is that none of the parts interchange between the three motors. The last I heard is there are no more blanks for making cam shafts for the Desoto and no more cores so you will need a good core to have a cam reground if needed. The reproduction parts cost more for the Dodge and Desoto than the Chrysler by quit a bit.
    I was going to buy a Desoto and by the time I added up the costs of just the parts alone to rebuild it plus a tranny adaptor without the cost of any machine or head work and I would be into it for about $4000.00 Check with Hotheads for a price list on parts. Street Rodder did a article awhile back on rebuilding the old Hemi's

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. George

George

11. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I contacted 73RR with a question and I think I will pick up Tex Smith's book on the subject. Good idea to find a service manual also if one turns up.

12. Yeah,that would look good,,have you given any thought to coming to the Deuce Run this year? HRP

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Me too, what I do, is when I find stuff that I really want to sit down and study in-depth, I print it out and put it in a 3 ring binder. I find it helps a lot, for whatever reason, I have trouble really focusing and absorbing what I read on-screen. Plus, its much easier to refer back to in a binder.
    I have multiple binders, on different subjects, for instance, I have one labeled "Vintage engines" one with airflow/porting info on Vortecs, another one with FE info, One on building 200R4's ect.

14. gfr220

gfr220

I just bought a 270 Red Ram Hemi for a 1935 Dodge Pickup. I have been doing a little bit of studying for this motor, My first Hemi too. There is someone on here that has done a bunch of stuff on the Hemi's and he has rebuilt a bunch of them, Tom Sauter he may answer some questions for you.

15. 4tford

4tford

This book has some good information.

Attached Files:

16. 73RR

73RR

The book is 'good' but not, necessarily, 'great'. It has a fair number of typos, transposed info, etc.
    Please verify whatever info you might need to rely on.

17. No, I don't think I will make it. I've got the coupe in a lot better condition so that its drivable but there are still a lot of little things I don't trust on it. And honestly, I would prefer to "make it mine" again by changing a lot more before I take it to any nice shows.

18. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Not a book, however I think this link is interesting and has some good info. I think there are 6 or 7 pages of info here on souping up a Desoto hemi.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/desoto-c.htm

I have Tex Smiths book and so far it is the best I could find for Desoto Hemi references. 73RR is right check the facts of the book. He is not the first person I have heard that from.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said. This should apply to anything you read in print or on the internet, unfortunately, usually the opposite is what happens. Once something is in print, no matter how transparently incorrect it is is, it becomes "fact".
    I have said it before, this book is probably worth having, simply for the convenience of the specification tables in the back. But theres a fair amount of bunk in there to weed through as well.

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Tex Smith book, TR Waters, Hot Hemi Heads and WebRodder has a nice video. They got me through a complete rebuild of a 270 Dodge Hemi. I found the Hemi to be basically the same as a Mopar small and big block except for the heads

21. You might find an old (50's) Motor Manual on Ebay. They have all the basic rebuild info & specs. I have one that I've had since the 50's. I still refer to it for my '56 ford.

22. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

type in google search 330 desoto hemi or 341, then click images. It Might give you some ideas what dircection to go in. I think I saw a couple desoto hemis for sale in fla CL. gl

23. 4tford

4tford

It does have some typos but for an overall hemi uniqueness it explains the differences of all the Chrysler, dodge, and Desoto parts. Also leads on part suppliers. His question was a book on hemis and this book does a decent job explaining the inner workings and what issues you can run into. I used it for my first hemi and it was a good source for learning and as in any new subject the more research you do the better off you will be. The hemi index here, hotheads discussion area, and other hemi sites you can get educated before you take the plunge in rebuilding one.

24. Reds 29

Reds 29

I recently bought a 241 Red Ram Dodge hemi that I have been checking out and preparing to put in a Dodge truck. The book mentioned above was helpful but some info as 73RR mentioned needed to be verified. I also found a Motors Manual from 1956 and it has a great deal of info about the motor. Torque specs., rebuild info, info on distributors, were a few things I used. I bought it at a swap meet for $15. The Hemi Tech archives are full of good info too.
    Red

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I own a Desoto motor, I am closer to 73RR in my opinion of this book than 4Tford.

26. 73RR

73RR

4tford does make a good point in that the book is 'unique' in it's presentation of some of the material. There are so few books devoted to the subject that it does have 'some' value.
    As you say George, it is worth having, and I'm sure that 4tford will agree that it should only be one of many reference books on the shelf, especially for the novice Hemi builder.
    My usual advice to anyone contemplating an EarlyHemi project is to read everything they can find, ask a lot of questions and take notes.
    "Trust, but verify"

27. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

I just built. 1956 Desoto 330 hemi within the last year. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. The advise you have received so far is accurate. I have both those books and used hotheads for most of the internals. Racer Brown ground my camshaft. He is awesome to work with. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389393973.432257.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. 4tford

4tford

73RR you hit the nail on the head in that read all that you can and ask questions to avoid mistakes others have already had with these hemis. Scooter putting the hemi tech section in was a big help and the amount of hemi owners here help with any questions that come up.

29. Ooooh, eye candy.